Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

INFORMATION
      #5648 - 06/14/00 01:55 PM

So, I was referred to Dr. Gallants forum and then this comes to my mind: What if someone has sex with another one, using condoms and all and then that person when is removing the condom or inadvertely just get some vaginal fluids or blood in his/hers hands and then, since the hiv virus not dyes in milliseconds or seconds but in minutes, that person brushes his/her eyes –people do this all the time-, the eyes are mucous membranes, and then he/she got infected?

Dr. Gallant says:

I was always safe and hiv- until my partner who is hiv+, with a high viral load (a couple of years ago before treatment) shot me in the eye. It does happen. I got sick shortly thereafter and tested positive a couple of months later. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience. Perhaps it will be useful to others (and will no doubt make quite a few people nervous).

Dr.Gallant,Someone sent in a post that said he thought he was infected when his HIV + partner came, and semen hit his eye. I find this almost impossible to believe. While I'm not calling this person a liar, there have never been documented cases of infection through this route. I asked a nurse at UCLA Medical Center and a doctor at a leading Los Angeles HIV center, about the chance of someone being infected this way. They both said that they never have heard of infection occurring in this manner, and don't think it's possible. There just seems to be so much hysteria these days on what happens in bed, and the smallest things that COULD cause infection. There are no documented cases of infection occurring in this manner, but there are documented cases of infection as a result of splashes of blood into the eye. If it can happen with blood it can probably happen with semen, since they are the two bodily fluids that are responsible for most HIV infection. I'm sure it's not a very common--certainly no cause for hysteria or protective face shields during sex--but I don't see why it couldn't happen.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike
Unregistered

To everyone do not respond new
      #5653 - 06/14/00 02:15 PM

This is another post by paper cut gut.

Julie
Unregistered

Re: To everyone do not respond new
      #5662 - 06/14/00 02:46 PM

But this is important, dont you think? Hope not.

Julie
Unregistered

from Julie:this is not my post new
      #5663 - 06/14/00 02:52 PM

Paper cut guy made a post using my name. That is not my post. Your an a--hole

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1252

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3