Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Possible transmission
      #5615 - 06/14/00 04:08 AM

Has anyone heard about getting HIV from a sore on the skin, say from blood or fluids getting on the skin and then getting inside through a sore or something else

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Prevention Doc
Unregistered

Another post by paper cut guy-this is to much new
      #5616 - 06/14/00 04:13 AM

Im on the floor laughing, i was looking through the posts, seeing all this stuff about paper cut guy, and low and behold when i reloaded, here he is again with another post. Do you notice that he used the term "sores" instead of cut to make us think it was not the paper cut guy, and his thinly veiled reference to fluids touching the skin, thus his fasination with touching infected condoms. This nut case wont give up, im still on the floor laughing as I type.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Hilarious! new
      #5617 - 06/14/00 04:18 AM

One word- Hilarious! This guy is off the richter scale on obsessiveness, compulsiveness, and paranoa, does anyone have a link to a mental disorder support group board for him-J

BDG
Unregistered

Some for you information - READ paper cut guy new
      #5630 - 06/14/00 10:46 AM

Just in case this ISN'T the paper-cut guy, I'm going to post some information. Hopefully this will answer this person's question, and just in case "paper-cut guy" reads this, maybe it'll satisfy him too (but I seem to doubt it!). Anyway, we can be hopeful.

I also want to mention that I am posting this information because to tell you the truth, I am suffering from similar fears myself. I think I DO have OCD. But you'll have to trust me on the fact that I'm NOT paper-cut guy myself. Then again, I think that should be obvious by the fact that I'm answering this question, not asking it. Also, if you read some of my previous posts, I think it'll be obvious that we aren't the same individual.

Anyway, getting to the point, it IS possible to become infected if risky body fluids come into contact with open sores on your body, BUT, it IS also extremely unlikely. Medical studies have shown that the overall risk from getting infected BLOOD on an open would on your skin is approximately 0.1% or 1 in a thousand. Please note that I specifically mentioned BLOOD, and I'll explain why I said this in the next paragraph.

Now, concerning the studies that were conducted, they cannot be considered to be totally accurate, because they were conducted after the fact (meaning people were already infected, and they had to go by what they recalled). But the fact that I say that these studies may not be that accurate is actually an indication that they risk may be lower than 0.1%. I say that because of ALL the studies done since this original one on 54 U.S. healthcare workers, there has NOT been ONE SINGLE case of seroconversion in health care workers when they had muco-cutaneous (mucous membrane or skin) exposures.

Another thing to note is that these studies were conducted with blood exposures. All seroconversions in health-care settings (which is pretty much the only place where you can control these types of studies) occurred after exposure to blood. Although there are OPIM (other potentially infectious fluids such as vaginal fluids, cerebro-spinal fluids, etc.), no heathcare worker has ever seroconverted after cutaneous exposure to these fluids. So they are not considered high risk in that particular setting.

So, in summary, what I want to say to the person that posted this and to paper-cut guy (if they are not the same person) is that it is possible to be infected if infectious fluids (particularly blood) get on your skin where there is an open sore, but at the same time it is unlikely that you would get infected this way. And if you have no sores on your skin, then there is no chance you will get infected. Don't start thinking of these micropscopic cuts on your skin!

By the way, the information I presented can be verified on this site or a number of other reputable sites. Please correct me if there's somthing in here that I may have mispresented.

BDG
Unregistered

Oops - typo in subject new
      #5631 - 06/14/00 10:47 AM

That should have read "Some information for you". Sorry!

JAnonymous
Unregistered

Re: Some for you information - READ paper cut guy new
      #5635 - 06/14/00 12:07 PM

Good post. I hope paper cut guy reads this, its right up his alley. Im to doubtful he'll be satisfied though. J

BDG
Unregistered

Re: Some for you information - READ paper cut guy new
      #5671 - 06/14/00 05:09 PM

He should be! At least I hope so! I mean, I can understand the irrational fear he has, because as I said, I feel it too! But how many times does he have to ask the same question over and over again!?!? You'd think that once was enough.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3012

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3