Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Curious
Unregistered

Standards for ELISA tests
      #5514 - 06/13/00 09:38 AM

I know that there are varying stances on what the window period should be (ie. 3 months vs 6 months) and I assume that the 3 month window is becoming the more accepted window period because of the increasing sensitivity of the ELISA test as it continues to be improved in being able to detect anti-bodies. But, does anyone know if ALL testing sites are required to use the LATEST in ELISA testing? If they are using an older version of the ELISA test, then I guess the 6 month window might be valid. Is there anyway of being able to tell?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jedi Master
Unregistered

Re: Standards for ELISA tests new
      #5519 - 06/13/00 12:01 PM

Well I cant speak for USA. But in Canada and in France they used the latest elisa test. I really dont know but I think that Canada import the elisa test from France, and those test are made by direction of the Pasteur Institute.
For USA I really dont know, because in Canada and France they are all conduced by labs monitored by the Health Department but I think that being a great country as USA is they might be using the latest elisa test as well. One curious thing tough: some people here claims that USA has the latest technology and that they are very extra cautious but do you know USA is basically the only country in the world that permits HOME TEST KITS? In Europe, for instance, its considered a felony and its penalized to sell home test kits. Home test kits are not approved in EUROPE.

Curious
Unregistered

#5521 - 06/13/00 12:11 PM

Because in Canada and France they have to use the latest ELISA, do you think this is why they say that 3 months is conclusive? What if the US/CDC says 6 months because our US testing standards are not up to par?

Anonymous
Unregistered

This might explain the 6 mo. CDC window new
      #5522 - 06/13/00 12:14 PM

Does it?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5531 - 06/13/00 02:18 PM

It's silly to suggest that America is not using the most accurate reliable tests available.

Jedi Master
Unregistered

#5542 - 06/13/00 03:46 PM

Actually, i think its just a thing of interpretation. All the test are equally sensitive, but its just that the CDC stick with the 6 month test and the rest of the world says 3 months. Why? Really dont know. What kind of info does the CDC manages that the rest of the world doesnt know? And why even some states in the USA says to test only at 3 months? The CDC its based on statistic and some studies. But do know that the famous study done on the 51 health care workes shown that 2 seroconvert AFTER 6 MONTHS, that is, even after the CDC window period. But anyway, I have read the as a general guideliness when there is a health care workers risk they usually said to keep testing at 1 year but do know that this kind of risk is not your usual risk. Its a valid assumption to play with laws of possibilities. Even the so called "guru" Dr. Gallants says its valid to sum possibilities, so if some one after a low risk tested negative at 3 months, these two circunstances: testing negative at 3 months + low risk, makes almost a ZERO possibility to test positive then at 6 months. I think even DUDE, who I know hates me, will agree on me with this one.

Anonymous
Unregistered

The US does not permit home test kits new
      #5556 - 06/13/00 06:08 PM

The United States does not permit Home Test Kits.
The United States has approved ONE home COLLECTION kit, which is the Home Access or Home Access Express kit.

DUDE
Unregistered

#5559 - 06/13/00 07:08 PM

still attacking me?

DUDE
Unregistered

#5562 - 06/13/00 07:29 PM

I find you always attacking me or someone else. Above you made a condesending remark regarding Gallant. He's not even on this board. Secondly, you're thinking is too quick, you don't ponder what you are saying. For instance, I find it highly probably that someone could easily test negative for HIV at 3 months and test positive for HIV at six months. It's not the sensitivity or reliability of the ELISA test. It's not the possibility someone's immune system isn't responding, or the virus is hanging out waiting to come out at a later date. No, it's the labs. You see, these lab workers make about $6.00 bucks an hour. They process thousand of blood tests each week. I believe results can get mixed up, mis-placed, sent to the wrong clinic, not sent at all. So don't say I agaree with your almost ZERO possibility. I don't.
Sorry if that insults you, but you tend to think you have a clear understanding on every subject here. You don't, and I don't. THis is why I rely on orgs like the CDC and people like Gallant. THEY KNOW far more than I do. IT IS SMART to accept them as authority instead of trying to read between everything said and try and find a newer type of conspiracy idea.

BDG
Unregistered

It's all the same! new
      #5568 - 06/13/00 08:34 PM

Getting back to the topic here, I personally don't think testing labs in any of the developed nations would be using older generation ELISAs. Remember, it is a limited number of companies that actually make these tests. And trust me on the fact that as soon as one of these companies started using the 3rd generation antigen-sandwich assays, the other ones were quick to follow (for competitive reasons). So, everyone's using the latest versions of the ELISA.

One more thing. I disagree with you DUDE about the chances of lab error being great. For one thing, lab errors are said to be EXTREMELY rare (by the CDC itself too!). On top of that, I can safely say that in Canada at least (I don't know much about the U.S.) your blood sample actually passes through very few hands once it's collected. And these hands are very well trained. Over here, it is always at least a nurse that draws your blood (the profession of a phlebotomist does not exist here as far as I know). They always show you the identification number that they give you, and they put a matching number directly on the sample of blood and forms that are filled out. You get a chance to confirm this. Then, the people at the labs performing the tests are generally well trained as well. I know over here you have to have at least a community college degree as a medical lab technician to get a job performing these tests. And by the way, over here a typical lab tech gets paid about $15/hour (that's what my girlfriend does for a living!). On top of that, when the actual tests are performed, the ELISA is carried out 3 times. If two out of three are postive, then the confirmatory Western Blot (or an IFA, whichever the lab uses) is performed.

I suspect that the U.S. has a similar system.

So in summary, I think the only possibility of lab errors is if it was done intentionally! Either that, or an extremely drunk tech! But we won't get into that!

BDG
Unregistered

Disagree with you DUDE new
      #5569 - 06/13/00 08:38 PM

I'm talking about disagreeing with you on the point about a high probability of lab errors. See my post above titles something like "It's all the same." I've had a couple of beers right now, so I don't remember the exact title! ;)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The US does not permit home test kits new
      #5578 - 06/13/00 10:58 PM

We're getting into semantics here! I think that's what the guy meant when he said "Home Test Kits". He was referring to the Home Access kits available in the US only. It's just a case of misused words. The message behind it is the same.

Jedi Master
Unregistered

#5609 - 06/14/00 02:17 AM

Relax DUDE. Its too late and im too tired. Tomorrow I will reply you. But for know I really dont know if you had as a child any problem, but why do you have always on your mind the word: ATTACK? Why do you think everyone who disagrees with your posts ARE ATTACKINK YOU? Relax DUDE. Relax. You are the "untouchable" guy, everyone who disagrees with you is your attacker. You said that i mentioned Dr. Gallant and he is not even on this board. Well, buddy, if someone on this forum mentiones Dr. Gallant that is YOU. But anyway, tomorrow i will reply, word by word your post. Oh wait, yes, THAT WOULD BE ANOTHER ATTACK.
You are like these soviet child that once was asked by his teacher: what do you call when a political party has different ideas than the government and wants to be elected? the teacher tought (democracy) but the child said: TRAITORS!!!!!
So many people in this post who doesnt agree with you arent traitors to your believes or are attacking, they just thinks different. Would you Master DUDE let us, the ignorant people disagree with you and not being called ATTACKERS!!! Get a grip!

Jedi Master
Unregistered

I wasnt attacking Dr. Gallant new
      #5612 - 06/14/00 02:20 AM

Come on he is a great doctor, knows a lot and without receiving any payment he answers every day lots and lots of answer besides his job. What I critize is people who tends to call Dr. Gallant a "guru". You DUDE have called Dr. Gallant a "guru"...Come on.

Jedi Master
Unregistered

I wasnt attacking Dr. Gallant new
      #5613 - 06/14/00 02:21 AM

Come on he is a great doctor, knows a lot and without receiving any payment he answers every day lots and lots of answer besides his job. What I critize is people who tends to call Dr. Gallant a "guru". You DUDE have called Dr. Gallant a "guru"...Come on. That was what i was saying.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4058

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3