Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ARS and Lymphocytes ...GMAN??
      #54640 - 01/13/03 12:19 PM

Is it possible for a person experencing ARS to have huge amount of lymphocytes? I have read here at the body that all persons having ARS would have a low lymphocyte count during ars, then it would recover, then slowly decline again.

Reason asking is I was diagnosed with mononucleosis and had a lymphocyte count of 9.4 and total WBC of 13.4. Both of which a very high and indicative of mono. But I have read ARS can cause false positive on mono test, that is why I am relying on my lymphocyte count to help me out in knowing the difference between ARS and mono.

I have been having symptoms of infection since getting better from mono(excema, dermatisis, diahrea) but have tested negative on the Elisa. My main question concerns the lymphocytes during ARS. Here is the link:
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Infections/Archive/BasicInformation/Q46454.html
"Everyone (or nearly everyone) should have reduced lymphocyte counts-- especially T helper lymphocyte counts-- during acute HIV infection. Thereafter, some people will recover to normal or near-normal levels before their counts decline later on. "Later on" could be years away from the time of initial infection. "
-Judith Feinberg MD

I am currently waiting the results of my 2nd antibody test. Not doing to good right now...please help...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: ARS and Lymphocytes ...GMAN?? new
      #54670 - 01/13/03 08:12 PM

The doctor is right; they will be very low, not high. It sounds like you only contracted mono. Good to hear you got one that is curable.

The G-Man

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54671 - 01/13/03 08:56 PM

Thank you so so much GMAN, I hope things will come out fine on this next test. God Bless You... I really need some encouragement while waiting for this test. That really helps me right now.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54794 - 01/14/03 10:51 PM

OK while we're at it, I have a similar question: what does having a sedimenation rate (ESR) of 1 during possible ARS tell you? I understand that there isn't a strict correlaction between ESR and HIV, but doesn't 1 sound like an extremely encouraging number? I hope so.

I'm waiting on my 11-week ELISA tomorrow. I am breaking down :(

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54902 - 01/16/03 03:20 PM

YOUR RIGHT!!! NEGATIVE!!

I guess it was just mono after all. THANK YOU ALL!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3583

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3