Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

anxiety is killing me
      #54458 - 01/10/03 09:29 AM

3 yrs ago I gave first aid to a guy who was bleeding.
Some of his blood went on my t-shirt.
I was just informed that the guy is hospitalized with full blown aids.
I think my skin was intact though I can't be 100% sure.
3 months after exposure i developed the following symptoms:fatigue,massive headaches, sudden acne breakout, nausea, dizziness and inability to concentrate.
I'm too scared to get tested....
I'm now on antidepressants 'couse i even attempted suicide.
I'm planning to have a baby but i'm so scared ....
Any advice?

24 yrs sad girl

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gregg629
Regular

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Re: anxiety is killing me new
      #54460 - 01/10/03 10:12 AM

First of all, you canít become infected with HIV through casual contact which is what it sounds like you had. Just getting his blood on your clothing means nothing. You would have had to have open wounds that were bleeding and the infected blood would have had to get into those wounds. Even if this was to happen itís not 100% that would become infected.

As for the symptoms you reported, people who experience ARS have it in the first few weeks after exposure. Also all the symptoms you talked about are also signs of stress, which it seems you are "slightly" under.

You say you want to have a baby, but not sure if your already pregnant or not. If your not already pregnant, then try to deal with the anxiety before you try to have a child. Itís not healthy for the child to carry it to term while youíre under so much stress. You need to think of this new life and what you can do to make it the most healthy and give it the best chance.

My advice. Get Tested. Since this happened 3 years ago your test results will be conclusive and you will hopefully be able to let go of the fear that you have over being infected. Once you are able to let go of that fear hopefully the stress and anxiety will go away and you will feel like a pressure has been lifted from your shoulders and you will be in a much better position to being a new life into the world.

Good Luck..

Gregg

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54462 - 01/10/03 10:46 AM

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE AND PLANNING A BABY, THAT'S A WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN.
MY ADVICE IS KEEP SEEING YOUR SHRINK AND ALTHOUGH YOU PHYSCALLY DON'T NEED AN HIV TEST (NO CDC REPORTS OF PEOPLE BEING INFECTED BY A SHIRT)MAYBE JUST MAYBE IT WOULD HELP YOU MENTALLY........I HOPE SO.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54463 - 01/10/03 11:10 AM

Remember Greg Lugainus in the olymplics? He had hiv, busted his head wide open, blood everywhere...doctors that worked on him did not even use gloves, and non of them became infected. You see, it doesnt happen this way! You know what you need to do. If you are planning to have a baby, the doctor will ask you to have an hiv test anyway. There is no way you will be positive from this experience. Getting tested will allow you to relieve your anxiety and move on with your life, but in reality the test isnt really even needed. good luck

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1767

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3