Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

lupus
      #54316 - 01/08/03 09:01 PM

I was just diagnosid with lupus,Ive been testing for hiv so far im neg.Lupus has alot of the same symptoms as hiv,ive had a hard time believing my neg hiv tests for this reason.Does anyone know if having lupus would delay or effect antibody hiv testing.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SanFran
Unregistered

Re: lupus new
      #54383 - 01/09/03 10:31 AM

Okay, you are being checked for lupus and hiv. If I understand your question correctly you are asking if you do have lupus is it possible that your hiv test might not show correctly. The answer is yes but only to those who have ADVANCED lupus and are in the first 6 months of HIV infection. Lupus is very serious and can effect you in some similar ways that ADVANCED HIV does..... that is advanced HIV meaning if you are seeing symptoms of HIV then you would show up positive on a HIV test.
This is one of the reasons the CDC refuses to change their help line window period to 3 months instead of 6 months. I can assure you with symptoms and an HIV Elisa test you are NEGATIVE for HIV. I don't know all that much about lupus besides its one of the rare diseases that can delay the window period beyond 3 months but not beyond 6 months. I do know after talking to my brother who is a 3rd year at med school that if you have lupus you would know it....
If you have the extra 300 clams go and get a PCR DNA test if you are inside the window period to get a concrete answer but please rest assured with my earlier statemant- if have symptoms (of advanced HIV not ARS) and show negative on Elisa then you are negative-- Good luck with the lupus test-
chime back in in the near future to let us know the results-

Why do you think you have these illnesses? What are your symptoms? When was your last sexual contact or your last injected drug use? Are you seeing a doctor?

God Bless

Anonymous
Unregistered

Lupus - SanFran new
      #54384 - 01/09/03 10:44 AM

SanFran,
You didnt see that he has already been diagnosed with lupus.... good answer though
Lupus,
SanFran is correct lupus is one of those dieseses that can cause antibody production to delay up to 6 months. Contact your doctor and ask to get a DNA PCR test because of this. This will check for the virus and not the antibody produstion. HIV can be VERY serious with individuals with lupus so please follow through on getting tested. The reason six months will not work for you is that HIV will hit you a little harded than most because of a damaged system because of lupus therefore being diagnosed early and getting on meds during the window period might be appropriate for you-
I would stay away from hotlines because they are not going to know very much about lupus.
Lupus can delay the window period so please contact your doctor... good luck I'm sure your okay. SanFran made a good point- with symptoms you would show positive on Elisa.

StantheMan
Unregistered

Re: lupus new
      #54387 - 01/09/03 11:16 AM

I'm curious what are the symptoms that are similar? It has to be the 2nd stage HIV with OI symptoms otherwise the cdc would recommend that if you show negative ona Elisa test at three months and six months and had real ARS symptoms then lupus testing would be the next step.

My question is this: You got diagnosed with Lupus and that explained the symptoms you were having. Why are you now looking to HIV to explain the same symptoms?? This sounds like you are obsessing with HIV. If you get sick and are diagnosed with Mono you don't run to a doctor and ask him to check you for Hepatitis do you? You know the source of your symptoms.
I think you should let go of HIV and start concentrating on getting better. The world has to much to offer to throw it away on worry. Good Luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Lupus - SanFran new
      #54390 - 01/09/03 12:21 PM

Thank you all very much for your help,I was just diagnoisd with lupus,but don't know how long ive had it.I was concerned about hiv because i didn't have any symptoms until about 2 weeks after a unprotected sexual exposure with an uknown woman,stupid i know had a little to much to drink and the other brain took over.Ive tested neg for hiv hepatitis and other std's out to 24 weeks.The symptoms i had and still have some are.nausea,bloating diarreaha,muscle and joint pain mostly upper arms and upper legs,knee swells at times,coated tounge,headaches,pain in lower back and right side of abdomen,some strange looking pimple like red marks on face and back.Im not to wooried about the lupus as that can only efffect me im more worried about infecting this other woman that im seeing,I did have sex with her unprotected after my 24 week test,but know being diagnoisd with lupus,I m starting to wonder about if my hiv test were false neg.I can'y efford a pcr,Im really becoming a mess.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54393 - 01/09/03 12:28 PM

Hey Anon,

Figured I would pipe in here as well since I also was found to have a positive ANA after a high risk exposure. I started having muscle and joint pains a few months after my risk (now I have geographic tongue). I tested hiv- out to one year, neg on the rna and negative on the dna also. My ANA is still there plus I have the anti-RNP ab. I spoke with my rheumatologist and he feels this would not change the result of the hiv test as my body is overproducing antibodies. Also to have an autoimmune reaction with early HIV infection would be very rare. I also posted this question to Dr. Bob in the fatigue/anemia board since he is an immunologist (Please Help Me Understand July 26th 2002). He also said that HIV is not the problem. You can also view some replys in the Understanding My Labs forum as well that discuss lupus. Almost all Dr's feel that 6 months is final unless you have had an organ transplant or advanced immune disfunction.
As for my ANA I still have no diagnosis but hope my body returns to normal soon.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54394 - 01/09/03 12:58 PM

a 24 week test = 6 months

You are out of a window period that would the sickest of sick to show positive

YOU ARE NEGATIVE- 6 months is the longest you EVER have to be tested - move on

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54397 - 01/09/03 01:52 PM

What is ANA?
How would you know if you had a Advanced Immune Disfunction?
I had a negative DNA PCR test at 14 weeks with a Elisa 1&2 - can I move on or should I get checked for lupus and the above.

I had real ARS symptoms.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54401 - 01/09/03 02:12 PM

ANA is antinuclear antibody and it is a hallmark for lupus. It is not specific though so other antibody tests need to be done to determine which ana antibodies are present.
My Dr. tested me because I was complaining of muscle/joint aches. Also up to 10% of the population will have a positive ANA.
How would you know if you had a severe immune dysfunction. I am not really sure. One thing I would think of would be lymph node swelling and consistently high fevers which require hospitialization. Not sure though since Im not a DR.

As for getting tested again...100% up to you. I would trust a 6 months Elisa AB test along with the DNA. But believing is easier said than done. I have been tested numerous times (Elisa, DNA,RNA) and still don't believe 100% because of my symptoms but all my Dr (Rheuamtologist and family) say that I don't have HIV and more than likely you don't either.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3180

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3