Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

1 in 200 chance
      #5272 - 06/10/00 06:11 PM

I have read that unprotected vaginal intercource with a female who is positive carries about a 1 in 200 chance of exposure for man. Does this sound right to yall. Also studies of discordant couples where one was positive and one was negative tracked over a 2 year time frame of 200 subjects showed 0 infections if condoms were used consistently and correctly, a similar study showed about a 2 percent infection rate over 2 years. I gather from these studies that proper condom use completely elimanates the risk of infection, especially since most of us are exposed far shorter than 2 years with a positive person. In other words if you where a condom your chance of HIv infection may be lower than 1 in 1000

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 1 in 200 chance new
      #5273 - 06/10/00 06:13 PM

Excellent post- it is my understanding that proper condom use completely elimanates any risk

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5274 - 06/10/00 06:14 PM

I agree, if you wore a condom you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting HIV

Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude What do you think new
      #5277 - 06/10/00 06:52 PM

Dude, do you agree with this post or is this guy unrealistic?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5279 - 06/10/00 06:54 PM

I think that for unprotected it is more like 1 in 100 but i think your right about the condoms, there is no risk

DUDE
Unregistered

What I think! new
      #5280 - 06/10/00 07:01 PM

Hi,
I think a condom used properly reduces risk to absolute zero.
I think throwing out number like 1 in 200 is non-sense. Each situation is vastly different. There are so many variables, such as viral load in the infected person, hygene of both people, other STD's present, cuts, abrasions, sores on the genitals of both people, circumsision, the type of sex, anal, oral, intercourse. The length of sex, the number of times these people had sex. In conclusion, I disagree. I will say, if your penis is free of STD's, cuts, abrasions, sores, and you are circumsized, and you have vaginal intercourse with a woman infected with HIV, you have a lower risk of infection than a woman having sex with an infected man.
DUDE

BDG
Unregistered

Re: What I think! new
      #5297 - 06/10/00 11:01 PM

I think that ratios like "1 in 200" are just overall averages that are designed to give a relative sense of how risky any particular act is in relation to others. It can help people determine how the levels of risk vary from act to act, but it doesn't say anything in particular about any one experience. For example, it there is a 1 in 200 chance on average of getting infected as the male insertive partner during vaginal intercourse, it doesn't tell you anything about whether or not you are that unlucky "1". And yes, there are a lot of variables involved here like DUDE mentioned.

One thing though. I'm not sure if I agree with the uncircumsized = more risk statement. If someone who is uncircumsized practices proper hygeine (i.e. take a shower normally) then I don't believe there will be any additional risk. Sure, research is there regarding the large number of Lagerhans cells in the male foreskin and their particular succeptability to infection by viral particles, but you have to remember that there would still have to be a portal of entry for infection to occur. And that portal would not be there if proper hygeine is practiced so that no sores are present.

DUDE
Unregistered

BDG-Being circumsiced does matter-news out today new
      #5300 - 06/10/00 11:17 PM

Friday June 9 7:44 PM ET
Foreskin Cells May Assist HIV Transmission

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Over 40 studies have found that males who are
circumcised have a lower risk of becoming infected with HIV from an infected sexual
partner than uncircumcised men. In a report in the June 10th issue of the British Medical
Journal, researchers provide a possible answer to the question of how circumcision may
protect against HIV infection.

The authors report that certain cells found in abundance on the inner surface of the foreskin
are most likely ``the primary point of viral entry into the penis of an uncircumcised man.''

Dr. Robert Szabo, of Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, and Dr. Roger V. Short, of
the University of Melbourne, note that about 70% of men who are HIV positive have been
infected through the penis. Studies show that circumcised men are about two to eight times
less likely to contract HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases than uncircumcised men.

Compelling evidence that circumcision directly protects men from HIV infection comes from
a study performed in Uganda, the authors report. In that research, scientists studied 50
circumcised men and 137 uncircumcised men. All of the men were HIV negative but had
female partners who were HIV positive. Over the 30 months of the study, none of the
circumcised men contracted HIV, while 40 of the uncircumcised men contracted the virus.
While all the men had free access to condoms, 89% never used them, Szabo and Short
note.

DUDE
Unregistered

More on circumsicion -WOW- new
      #5301 - 06/10/00 11:23 PM

Thursday June 8 7:17 PM ET

Doctors Advise Circumcision to Prevent HIV Spread

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - Australian doctors recommended male circumcision Friday as a means to prevent the spread of the HIV virus that causes AIDS.
Their review of previous studies of circumcision and HIV showed that the virus is usually passed through the penis and that men who have been circumcised are two to eight times less likely to become infected with HIV.
``Male circumcision should be seriously considered as an additional means of preventing HIV in all countries with a high prevalence of infection,'' Professor Roger Short of the University of Melbourne wrote in a report in the British Medical Journal.
Short and his colleagues acknowledged that cultural and religious attitudes play a major role in
circumcision in many countries but said mounting evidence has proven the benefits.
Although circumcising babies is the least complicated procedure, it would not have an impact
on HIV transmission rates for 15 to 20 years. The researchers suggested circumcising
teenaged boys would be much more effective.
`Circumcision at puberty, as practiced by many Muslim communities, would be the most immediately effective intervention for reducing HIV transmission since it would be done before young men are likely to become sexually active,'' Short said.
How circumcision prevents HIV infection is still a mystery, but Short and his colleagues believe the inner surface of the foreskin could be the route.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Really now risk? new
      #5317 - 06/11/00 04:31 AM

Ok,so lets assume one had sex with a woman and they had it "protected" with condoms properly put on. But, what if when that guy was removing the condom he accidentaly touch that condom to take it away and waste it and he touched some infected vaginal fluid...or worse he touched some vaginal fluid and the he touches his eyes or his lips or mouth...SO THAT REALLY SAFE SEX OR ZERO RISK?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Really now risk? new
      #5318 - 06/11/00 04:32 AM

Ok,so lets assume one had sex with a woman and they had it "protected" with condoms properly put on. But, what if when that guy was removing the condom he accidentaly touch that condom to take it away and waste it and he touched some infected vaginal fluid...or worse he touched some vaginal fluid and the he touches his eyes or his lips or mouth...SO THAT REALLY SAFE SEX OR ZERO RISK? Hmmm??

Jedi Master
Unregistered

Re: More on circumsicion -WOW- new
      #5319 - 06/11/00 04:35 AM

Uncircumsicion or not the only safer way to do it is with condoms. So what this thing about uncircumsicion or not? Use condoms. PERIOD.

BDG
Unregistered

Re: More on circumsicion -WOW- new
      #5326 - 06/11/00 02:21 PM

WOW, I didn't know there was that much talk about circumcision going on! I guess I was mistaken. Maybe circumcision deos play a factor.

I'm uncircumcized, but then again, I'm not worried about a sexual exposure, so I guess it doesn't affect me personally. I'm worried about a possible exopsure through broken skin (not on my penis).

Anonymous
Unregistered

RE: new
      #5331 - 06/11/00 03:29 PM

Very interesting. What was your possible exposure?

BDG
Unregistered

Re: RE: new
      #5338 - 06/11/00 04:07 PM

I think I may be worried for nothing, but I can't shake the thought of possible infection. And I believe I am pretty knowledgeable in the area of HIV due to my extensive reading. But I can't apply the low, low risk that I am apparently in to myself for some reason.

I'm worried that a female may have transferred the virus into my bloodstream through vaginal fluids that may have made contact with an area of my face that had "raw" skin. I say raw because I have dry skin and it flakes of sometimes, leaving the skin beneath it which is reddish. I have no other way of describing it except for being "raw". And as for how the vaginal fluids could have got there, that's another story. I'm worried that they may have been on the lady's hands because she did touch her genitals a little before hand.

I've been told I'm at very low risk, but this fear still haunts me. I'm going to get tested for this in a few weeks.

So, since you asked, that's the story.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6371

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3