Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

immune system
      #52508 - 12/27/02 10:25 PM

Would persisted symptoms such as yeast infections,sores in nose,coated tounge ,that keep comming back be a sign of a poor immune system,and if so how bad would the immune system have to be not to produce detectable antibody's by 6 months.I can't seem to get rid of these symptoms,i had all the other classic symptoms but there gone only these ones won't go away.Also if this is my immune system causing these problems,wouldn't i have other problems like frequent colds or flu's.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Digestive Man
Unregistered

Re: immune system new
      #52513 - 12/28/02 03:20 AM

Your symptoms aren't necessarily signs of a bad immune system. I had a conversation with my doctor not long ago about this topic. I've tested negative for HIV, and I too had been worried that my immune system was so damaged that I was unable to produce antibodies. Believe me, if your immune system was that far gone, you'd know it. You would be sick all the time, unable to get over illnesses. At least that's what my doctor told me. I trust that he knows more about the immune system than either of us do. Severe stress can weaken the immune system to a point, causing recurring little anomalies such as coated tongue and yeast infections.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #52677 - 12/29/02 08:41 AM

Persistant symptoms such as yeast infections if you are a woman would be reason to test, but doesn't mean you are infected. It sounds like you did test. It sounds like your test was negative. So, if that test was done 3 months or more after your exposure you aren't having your problems because of HIV.

Just as the other poster pointed out. Stress can affect the immune system. It can affect it in ways you are complaining about. Since you are still concerned about HIV after testing negative and concern that antibodies aren't being picked up, it's probably pretty safe to say you are under stress.

There have been a few cases where someone has shown up at a hospital with something like PCP which is a very common illness in Advance HIV and won't test positive on an antibody test. However they do test positive on a PCR. The reason they don't test positive is because their immune system is shot, but this is only after years of untreated infection.

Oh, about those nose sores. Check the humidity in your house. This time of year the air gets very dry and you need to put some moisture back in the air.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#52771 - 12/29/02 10:28 PM

Jackie is it true that if my immune system was weak enough to delay antibody production i would be sick all the time not just have reacurring yesat infections,I don't catch many colds or flu's .

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2060

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3