Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

conversion after 24 weeks?
      #48128 - 12/10/02 11:12 AM

hi -
i just got back my test results and they are negative.
i tested at 24 weeks - 6 months.
i know i have unrealistic fears now that i see i am still negative after my 3 and 6 month test but is there ANY chance i could serocovert after 24 weeks with a negative test result at this time (it was unprotected sex - no drugs)?
i want to move on from being a worried well and i believe the people on this board know their stuff - even though i also believe my doctor as well.
i have been so stressed out for these past 6 months i think i have gone mad but i know it is time to believe and move on.
give me opinions and facts one last time.
thanks for helping me out ....... again.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: conversion after 24 weeks? new
      #48130 - 12/10/02 11:53 AM

Hey I tested out to 23 weeks, close enough to 6 months I guess, at least according to all the MD's. I belive the only documented cases of seroconversion after 5-6 months are cases where the individual was on antivirals which supresses the production of antibodies.

Kevin_In_Sydney
New User

Reged: 10/13/02
You've paid your dews new
      #48138 - 12/10/02 04:00 PM

Hi,

There have been 2 documeted cases whereby someone took longer than 6 months and it was due to A: A Health Care worker that through needle stick got Hep C at the same time as HIV (In the majority of cases that does not extend the window period as it has only happened once and please note that this person was very ill for the entir time of exposure to seroconversion which was 9-10 months, so you would know FOR sure if you were co-infected) and B: An individual that never produced antibodies due to a rare immune disorded that you would be allready aware of. I think there are a few other cases maybe 6 mentioned in the medical litrature (so I am led to believe) but they were back a decade ago so the testing was in it's infancy and even then these have been contested...the Dr I saw was Professor Rolald Penny, the guy that discovered ARS (I live in Sydney, Australia where he practices although he is semi retired). The bottom line is that the 6 month test is gold...you are negative..period. You will not be an unusual cirsumstance, the unusual cirsumstance cases do not come from the likes of us, people that know their exact date of posible exposure and who have honsetly and willingly gone and gotten tested. They tests you've done have taken your blood and examined it for any shadow of HIV. The virus makes your body produce antibodies..and there are several different kinds it produces...now if after 6 months there is nothing..well thats it then..your done testing, if tere was even a whisper of HIV the tests would be at the very leat indeterminite. You have acted responsibly and been very brave to have gone for the test, you can stand tall and proud and try and let the fear subside, if you have guilt or shame face it head on. You mustered up the courage to go and get tested so if you can do that then you can honestly face your other issues. I've tested out to 1 year post exposure and was still unable to let it go. Last Thursday I finally told my wife that I was with a sex worker..I never thought I could say something like that to her. My wife has forgiven me and has seen the pain, guilt and shame that I have gone through for an entire year. I also new my wife was a beautiful person and that was alot of the reason I felt so bad for how I acted. Now I can start to heal and begin to move on and my marriage is stronger than ever.

The lesson here I suppose is to try and take responsibility as afraid as you are. You have done that on the clinical side of things and if you are hiding something from a loved one then try and sort out how you feel. The doctors say you are negative and they know far more than anyone on this board will ever know.

Regards,

Kevin

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: conversion after 24 weeks? new
      #48153 - 12/10/02 07:46 PM

No. You are in the clear. You can forget about it now.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: thank you kevin new
      #48164 - 12/10/02 08:37 PM

kevin -
i want to thank you for that beautiful response.
you are right - i do have other issues to face head on and somehow got stuck on hiv even though i am negative.
you have put into words - on paper - the thing that is in the back of my mind which has driven me to get to this low point.
you have me more with your post than my own shrink has helped me.
i thank you for your honesty.
you are the gold standard for me now - not the test.
thank you again and again.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by thebody new
      #48316 - 12/11/02 03:20 AM

joe___
Unregistered

Re: You've paid your dews new
      #48358 - 12/11/02 09:27 AM

great post kevin!
totally agree with you in all points

best wishes,
joe

Anonymous
Unregistered

You mean 'dues'. new
      #48446 - 12/11/02 10:58 PM

Learn to spell.

Kevin_In_Sydney
New User

Reged: 10/13/02
Yes I ment 'dues'. new
      #48462 - 12/11/02 11:23 PM

Hi,

Yes I ment "dues". I was not watching my spelling at the time, however if your main concern is picking on people's grammer mistakes on a forum that is concerned with peoples fears of contracting HIV then it's very clear you are lacking a great deal of maturity. You sound like a moody teenager and someone that is lacking depth.

Kevin

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1890

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3