Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Different Generation of ELISA ?????
      #46392 - 12/03/02 06:39 PM

I emailed Quest regarding the test generation I had because it was conducted approximately 2 months after my possible exposure, and I wanted to know the reliability of my test. They emailed me back with this response:

Thank you for your inquiry to Quest Diagnostics. I'm sorry we've taken so long to reply. There was a delay due to the holiday.

Contrary to some information being disseminated, there are no "generations" or versions associated with HIV antibody tests. That being said, I hope the following will answer your questions.

According to the manufacturer of the HIV-1 antibody test kit used by Quest Diagnostics, approximately 50% of individuals who will convert to a positive HIV test result, confirmed by Western blot, will do so by 25 days after exposure. Ninety five to 99% of individuals will convert by the end of two months. Claims from different manufacturers vary slightly with all claims stating the time to conversion falling within one or two weeks of each other.

Sincerely,

Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
33608 Ortega Hwy.
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92690

Can somebody shed some light on this topic... She states there there are not different versions of the test, but I have heard everywhere that there were.

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Different Generation of ELISA ????? new
      #46404 - 12/03/02 07:24 PM

I suppose that most if not all of the previous ELISA generation tests have been used up or phased out. Hence, only the latest type (or 3rd) generation is being used now.

Kim
Unregistered

#46457 - 12/04/02 11:32 AM

The letter is correct in stating her percentages of antibody detection and seroconversion. What is not correct is there only being 1 test-there is a 3rd generation Elisa being used by most labs including Qwest. Very few labs smaller labs use the 1st Generation Elisa even though the 1st Generation is still HIGHLY accurate, the only difference being the 3rd Gen is a little more sensitive in detecting antibodies early. The average window period has dropped from 45 to 25 days using current testing. So if you tested 90 or more days from last exposure, no matter which Elisa was used, your test is still accurate.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46471 - 12/04/02 02:25 PM

So, because she states that the average time of seroconversion is 25 days, does this indicate that they are using a 3rd Generation test?

Kim
Unregistered

#46491 - 12/04/02 04:26 PM

I would say YES. Plus I remember seeing a letter written by Qwest stating that they do indeed use the 3rd generation Elisa.

How long did you wait until you tested? If its 60 days or more then you are probably ok regardless of which Elisa they used.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46493 - 12/04/02 04:36 PM

I waited exactly 8 weeks..which is 56 days.

Kim
Unregistered

#46748 - 12/05/02 12:53 PM

You need to test 1 more time at 90 days to be 100% sure. When you test they tell you there needs to be 90 days for 100% accuracy. Yes its likely you don't have it but 1 more test will ease your mind so you don't have to worry about this anymore.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2654

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3