Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scared out of my mind right now - Jackie??
      #46104 - 12/02/02 12:11 PM

I am the guy who had sex with a prostitute that was protected. Now I am being treated for Chlamydia. THIS IS REALLY SCARING ME....

What do I do. It has only been 10 days. Can I take a PCR test and get some sort of assurance? Oh man, I am so scared...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scared out of my mind right now - Jackie?? new
      #46106 - 12/02/02 12:57 PM

Please someone tell me they have gone through this and not gotten HIV from a sex worker. Please point me to some way I can keep my hopes up. I am freaked..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46108 - 12/02/02 01:08 PM

Relax, Chlamydia is a lot easier to contract than HIV. It's still a good idea to get tested 3 months after your exposure for HIV but because you used a condom you are still at very low risk.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46110 - 12/02/02 01:13 PM

Stay calm dude.(I know it is hard) You did have a very real risk of contracting HIV because sex workers are in a high category of those with the virus, but it is also likely that you did not. What you have to do is test in three and then six months (antibody). Three months being 95-99% accurate and six months being 100% accurate. You can test in two week via PCR RNA and it will give you comfort if negative, but six month antibody is 100% sure.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46114 - 12/02/02 01:21 PM

I'm surprised that your doctor was able to diagnose you with Chlamydia on the same day. I'm a woman and see my gyn 2x a year. As a routine check he always checks me for STI by doing a culture. The culture is then sent to a lab and I don't know the results for a few days sometimes even a week. Did your doctor do a culture? Sometimes a doctor can diagnose Chlamydia just by examing you but you should always request a culture.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46115 - 12/02/02 01:35 PM

The culture is being sent in, but my doctor suspects Chlamydia since there was no bacteria in my urine. So she is starting me on treatment. (Actually its a one time 4 pills of something and one pill of something else.) I am hoping it does not work and that would mean it was not Chlamydia...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46116 - 12/02/02 01:38 PM

My concern is how the hell did I get Chlamydia if I used a condom. I thought it would prevent that. Thus, I am screwed with HIV too. Something went wrong. I won't know for sure if it is the big C until tomorrow or Wednesday, but what else could it be??

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scared out of my mind right now - Jackie??
      #46118 - 12/02/02 01:55 PM

Don't worry about the big C ive had it several times,those pills will clear it up in 3 days.As for the big H,get tested at 3 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46120 - 12/02/02 02:01 PM

Are you being serious? Please tell me you are.

Kim
Unregistered

#46121 - 12/02/02 02:08 PM

Relax. HIV is MUCH harder to get than the Clap. You used a condom so I'm willing to bet you did not contract HIV. The Clap can also be transmitted orally. Try not to stress the chances of you contracting HIV is extremely slim. Herpes, the big C, HPV are all extremely contagious even with a condom. HIV is much harder to get. Take a deep breath and wait for your results to come back on the Clap. If you do have it antibiotics will clear it up. Just to be on the safeside in 60 days-90 days I would get an HIV test just so you stop stressing but I'll bet its neg. The CDC doesn't even recommend a test if you used a condom.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46125 - 12/02/02 02:41 PM

I have ordered a PCR DNA test today after I found out I was going to be treated. I am very scared. I know it is only 11 days since exposure so the accuracy is very very low. But, hey even 30% or what ever it mught be right now will help me out. (unless it comes back positive).

This is horrible.

gregg629
Regular

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
      #46128 - 12/02/02 03:06 PM

First off let me say again that I understand what you are going through, but you are WAY over reacting. Yes it's your life and you are scared, but why test at 11 days and where did you get the 30% accuracy rate. You keep pulling these percentages out of thin air.

If you were to leave your home and an hour later realize that you left a candle burning would you instantly assume that your house had just burned down. Would you not even go home and just go out and look for a new place to live and start to buy all new clothes and furniture because you were so sure that you had just lost everything?

What I'm saying is I have been on this board and others for well over 4 years and I have (I know I said this before) yet to see anyone with a scare like yours (very low risk) no I take that back, I have yet to see ANYONE at all that has been sure that they were infected actually test positive.

The stress that you are going to put yourself under is going to cause more damage. In a day or so your going to start to have night sweats, you will probably notice that you have swollen glands, your joints will be sore, you will have a hard time focusing, you will have stomach issues and you will assume each and every thing that happens is a definite sign that you were indeed infected and that your life is over. What will really be causing all of this is the stress that you are putting yourself under.

You Called the CDC, you talked to your doctor, every single person on here has told you the same thing, that you had a very very low risk. If your test at 11 days comes back negative will you trust it or just go on to say that you haven't converted yet and test every week for the next year.

You say "this is horrible" I can tell you having infected for many years that it's an incontinence and not something that I wish on anyone, however You are making it horrible in your mind.

Breath in, breath out, relax

Gregg

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46133 - 12/02/02 03:34 PM

I'll try Gregg. Thanks for the input. Of course, I will still do the tests. I am just assuming 30% (I figured 95% at 25 days, so a little less than half that would be about 30% accurate)

Until I have a 25 day PCR DNA, I will be a stress basket.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46134 - 12/02/02 03:34 PM

Listen! The more you read the more you will understand that men rarely get hiv from a woman who has hiv. You were protected so your worries are ridiculous. Protection does not bring Chlamydia, maybe it was a reaction to the condom, buy another brand...better yet wait till marriage!
I refer you to "worried heteros" so you can see what the Aids experts think of you "wimpy straight men"!!

Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
      #46136 - 12/02/02 03:45 PM

Calm down. You had protected sex. It doesn't matter if it was with a prostitute or the girl next door the risk was the same. HIV is a very hard virus to catch. Much, much harder than other STD's. I have never seen anyone on this board having protected sex with a prostitute becoming infected. Gee maybe that's why we see all that advertising about using condoms. They work. They bring your risk down to nothing, no matter who you are with.

Don't let your fear get in the way of the facts and the fact is: if you have protected sex, it is not necessary to test over a one time occurance. It is suggested that people that are sexual active and not in a monogomous relationship should test every 6 or 12 months for ALL Std's as part of routine preventative health care. If you feel that you must test for peace of mind then get a test at 3 months and be done with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6118

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3