Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
When2test
Unregistered

When-to get-tested
      #45586 - 11/29/02 12:35 AM

Im putting this back because some person wanted to argue the window period is one year- Please read the below

Call the California Hotline or New York Hotline or the Gay Mens Health Crisis Center Hotline (who test onsite) in NY or the San Fran Gay Mens Aids Center and you will find that in the two places where there are more folks diagnosed with HIV than any other place in the country- that means they are being hit the hardest by this epidemic and they will tell you this...
GET TESTED AT 3 MONTHS.. The test today shows no signs that this window period is not more than enough time to show antibodies!!! They are out to help you and have no benefit by telling people that they are neg when they are actually positive! THINK ABOUT IT!! The only reason they may see a later test come back positive after 3 months is that person was actually infected later than they thought which backs up the window period-

THESE STATES HAVE THE MOST RESEARCH AND HIGHEST TESTING % IN THE COUNTRY

We are laughed at by othe countries regarding this six months test

Get tested at 1 month and then 3 month and at 6 if that will help you move on but a 3 month test is conclusive-

If you can find one person who tested positive after three months please let me know..... Try to find one person on THE BODY

One Doctor on the POST A QUESTION section says he has never seen an individual himself test positive after 3 months

GET TESTED AT THREE MONTHS AND MOVE ON

PEACE!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Testing new
      #45599 - 11/29/02 01:34 AM

Take a look at the material here:
http://www.thebody.com/testing.html

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 6 months new
      #45649 - 11/29/02 07:24 AM

The doctor says he has never seen, but he does not account for all doctors regardless of how many HIV Pt's he has seen and the body does not account for all people. There is the young gay dude on the body who had sex with older gay male and he had all classic symptoms and he tested negatgive at 4 months, but he retests at six because of his risk. Then ther is the guy who did a young female and he tested negative a 4 months, but he retest at six because of symptoms.
Remember 3 months is 95-99% accurate. There are those who fall into that 1-5% range. There fore six months is 100% accurate for those who did not take PEP.

Anonymous
Unregistered

neg at 27 wks new
      #45650 - 11/29/02 10:14 AM

i asked my dr to do an hiv test 27 weeks after unprotected vaginal sex and it was negative. i dont know what type hiv test he did but he took blood from my arm, i waited about 10 days for the results and it was negative.

i should stop worrying now?
i have passed the 6 month mark and am negative, can i put my mind at rest now?
thank you

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: When-to get-tested new
      #45663 - 11/29/02 03:33 PM

The Bottom Line
HIV testing generally looks for HIV antibodies in the blood, or saliva or urine. The immune system produces these antibodies to fight HIV, but it can take up to three months for them to show up. During this "window period" you will not test positive for HIV even if you are infected. Normal HIV tests don't work for newborn children of HIV-infected mothers.

In New Mexico, you can get tested anonymously for HIV. Once you test positive and start to receive health care for HIV infection, your name will be reported to the Department of Health. These records are kept confidential.

A positive test result does not mean that you have AIDS. If you test positive, you should learn more about HIV and decide how to take care of your health.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: When-to get-tested new
      #45666 - 11/29/02 04:22 PM

"The immune system produces these antibodies to fight HIV"

...and so the test shows you are healthy NOT sick. Clearly the test is a waste of time as it proves nothing.

RespondASAP
Unregistered

#45672 - 11/29/02 05:50 PM

PLEASE SEND BACK WHERE I CAN FIND MATERIAL ON THIS SITE ABOUT SOMEONE WHO SEROCONVERTERED AFTER 3 MONTHS- I don't want to get into a 3 month 6 month thing but have a couple questions for you?
Are you in the med field?
Are you positive?
Are you waiting to test at 6 months?
Have you read the recent "Safe Sex" replies? 3 months is accurate
If you are negative and not worried are you on this site to inform or can you not except your tests?

Please let me know where I can research these late seroconverters- Ive recently tested negative at 4 months and feel some doubt creeping back after your email because I too had VERY VERY SEVERE ARS and lost 4 months due to worry-
thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#45673 - 11/29/02 06:00 PM

If you tested neg at 4 months ,then your Neg.Other Disease's have similar symptoms.Hepatitis,EBV,CMV,to name a few.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I've read new
      #45802 - 11/30/02 07:32 AM

The recent post on the site does state that 3 months is accurate for the vast majority of the population. It also says that the only reason 6 months test are warrented is if you have had a known exposure or symptoms that concern you doctor.
The dumb thing to me is what difference would it make if the exposue was known?? Does knowing you had an exposure delay seroconversion from three to six months??NOT!!! If three months was conslusive then reguardless of weather the exposure was known or not three months would be conclusive, but it is not. It is 95-99% accurate and there are those who have and who do fall into the 1-5% percent and if you have had unprotected sex of any kind hetero of homo then you have a 1-5% chance of testing at six months. It is a small chance, but it is a chance.
You will never win the lottery if you never buy the ticket, but if you buy the ticket then you have given yourself a chance of winning. Same principle applies to HIV testing. Some people HIT the lottery? Is it you? Is it me? We'll see in six months. I pretty much know I have it and have tested three different times on three different tests, up to 4 months, but symptoms yet persist.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I've read
      #45813 - 11/30/02 11:12 AM

Great your going to argue with the Doc - 5% chance are you nuts? If that was true 1 out of twenty people would show positive after 3 months - yet the GMHC of NY San Fran and many others are telling you your test are acurate- you dont hear of people seroconverting after 3 months because IT DOESNT HAPPEN-
Please provide me some info on actual people since 98 that seroconverted after 3 months- oh and what about the docs on the body that are yet to see someone seroconvert after three months- and they diagnose 100's every month- be comfortable with your test at 3 months and get tested at 5 or 6 if that helps you move on-
My love is with all of you worried but please dont show your frustration by stating 1-5% because it just doesnt happen- THANKS

Anonymous
Unregistered

please answer me! new
      #45842 - 11/30/02 05:23 PM

please answer the above post.
thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: neg at 27 wks new
      #45875 - 12/01/02 07:00 AM

your doc should have told you that 6 months is conclusive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

is that a yes? new
      #45877 - 12/01/02 09:05 AM

so, a neg at 27 weeks is conclusive - right?
guess i just needed reassurance.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I've read new
      #45880 - 12/01/02 10:55 AM

this guy needs to rethink his point- why would The Body Europe NY Cali and most labs in the US say that 3 months is accurate? Why? Because it is. If you read the last post and it got you worried move on- He or she can't give you examples

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: is that a yes? new
      #45922 - 12/01/02 03:58 PM

Since HIV tests are conclusive at 3 months and you waited & worried an additional months past the window you can be assured that it is accruate and you don't have HIV.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4070

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3