Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Losing_hope_fast
Unregistered

Symptoms after 2 weeks and feeling doomed
      #4464 - 05/29/00 12:45 AM

I wrote earlier about an unprotected vaginal sex experience (I'm the girl in this scenario). I barely knew the guy I slept, but I get the sense he is pretty promiscuous. We had sex 2 weeks ago and I've recently developed a mild fever with a dull headache that won't go away.. i've had it for about 3 days and where I used to be afraid of the possibility of having HIV, I now am CONVINCED without a doubt in my mind that I have it. It's too early to test yet, but I can't deal with being positive. I think I'll probably end up killing myself if I have it and I don't want to die.. this sounds really stupid and dramatic, but i'm pretty certain that i'm serious. i've asked the guy to get tested and he says he will, but he keeps procrastinating. the last time he got tested was 8 YEARS AGO!!! i live in nyc, and he is a bartender. i was so drunk when we had sex that i don't even remember it. i'm so digusted with myself and i'm having such a hard time dealing. i feel like i don't have any hope, like there is no way i don't have it now, given these symptoms i have... i think i'm doomed...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Black
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms after 2 weeks and feeling doomed new
      #4466 - 05/29/00 12:56 AM

Even if that was true, why "kill yourself" If you are so convinced you wanna die so wait till AIDS kill you and then you will realize, that with the lot of treatments available that time will probably never come.

Besides, im not saying you have it. Ask him to get tested right away and if you can afford it take a pcr test. If not take an elisa after 1 months and if it is negative, a very good sign, take another at 3 months and then relax.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4467 - 05/29/00 12:57 AM

So get tested and then stop worriyng. Also talk with the guy and ask him to get tested right away. Ok.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4468 - 05/29/00 12:58 AM

So get tested and then stop worriyng. Also talk with the guy and ask him to get tested right away.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4469 - 05/29/00 01:00 AM

as much as i want to know asap, i'm terrified of how i will react to hearing "HIV positive". i don't know how accurate a PCR test is.. and they cost about $500...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4470 - 05/29/00 03:14 AM

thank god we have universal health care in canada.. :-)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4471 - 05/29/00 10:24 AM

Hi, listen calm down! Dont convince yourself you have it because you will go crazy. I did I convinced myself and was also a bit suicidal for a while! thank god i was too chicken! The point is i had all the symptoms. ALL of them! It turned out in the end it wanst HIV ( stll ahve to take my last 6 month test though). Stress and Anxiety will get you sick and if you think about it too much you will get all the signs and symptoms described everywhere, because of it. Even though the person you had sex with is positive it doesnt mean you will get it.

Worried 2000
Unregistered

#4475 - 05/29/00 11:18 AM

For what it's worth, there have to be hospitals in NYC that will give you a PCR test for free, provided you enter into a study of acute HIV infection (which you think you are showing symptoms of, but -- trust your faith -- you don't have). Contact the Aaron Diamond AIDS Center, for one. Or contact Dr. Brian Mendola (don't have his number handy but will post it once I find it) and say that you are worried you have HIV, that you think you were infected 2 weeks ago, and ask if his clinic can give you a PCR.

Hope this helps. I will write more later.

Chances are very good that you do NOT have HIV. Keep the faith.

Tim
Unregistered

#4489 - 05/29/00 02:48 PM

I was in the exact same situation, had headaches, swollen glands the works. I test with PCR at 6 months negative which is 99% accurate. Those symtoms went away, I'm still a little worried but 99% sure I don't have it. Bad news you still have to wait a few weeks to test with the PCR test, chill out until then. I know how hard it is, but symptoms are meaningless, there are hundreds if not thousands of people with simular symptoms but don't have HIV. It could be all in your head or any number of other infections that your body can handle.

Tim

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2265

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3