Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Veryconcerned
Unregistered

hiv through one oral sex experience?
      #4446 - 05/28/00 06:33 PM

I had oral sex once 5 weeks ago and have never had any other kind of sex. I went down on the girl for about 5 seconds and she gave me a bj. I don't know her very well and am concerned. I've had a cough for over two weeks and some chest pain. I've also had a severe headache for about 4 days. What are the chances that I have contracted hiv? Do you have any statistics on the probability of getting hiv through oral sex? Are my symptoms just of anxiety or should I get tested in a few weeks?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: hiv through one oral sex experience? new
      #4457 - 05/28/00 11:52 PM

I can sympathize with your concern, I am going through the same thing right now except my oral sex incident was with a gay man. Also, I had a cut in my mouth.

Considering you had oral sex with a female and did not mention having cuts in your mouth, there is a very very low probability that you could have gotten HIV (probably around 1 in 1,000,000). I have never seen any statistical estimate on the % of women with HIV but I would guess it to be around 1%. Add that on to the probability of getting HIV from female oral sex, and you get my estimate. The lining of the mouth is stronger and more resistant to being permeated by HIV than the lining of the anus or vagina. There may be enzymes in saliva that deter HIV penetration, though it is possible to get HIV through oral sex- I have not read about a single incident of it being passed from oral sex on a female. There have been a significant number of cases where HIV was passed from oral sex on a man, however, and this is usually when the man ejaculates in the person's mouth - and the person has a cut in their mouth.

Admiral Thrawn
Unregistered

#4463 - 05/29/00 12:41 AM

I think youre wrong. The possibilites of getting hiv giving oral sex to an infected woman or to an infected man, in my opinion is the same. Man have precum and semen, woman vaginal fluids and maybe menstruation. In all of those fluids theres the same concentration of hiv, maybe higher in menstrual blood (of course) So, i dont know if i am wrong but i think you have the same hiv concentration in vaginal fluid that in semen and precum. Maybe precum is the little fluid, then vaginal fluid and semen i think is the same, maybe semen a little more than vaginal fluid tough, but basically the same. Dont you think?

Worried 2000
Unregistered

#4477 - 05/29/00 11:25 AM

I am in the same boat as this anonymous poster. Blew a gay/bi man, not sure if I had cuts in my mouth but I am sort of a lipbiter so it's possible . . . . . but all I got in my mouth was precum.

How are you doing? Have you had a negative test yet, or are you still waiting?

I think there is, of course, some risk to blowing someone, but the risk really isn't close to the risk involved in unprotected sex. Hope that makes you feel better.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4491 - 05/29/00 03:14 PM

From everything I've read, performing oral sex on a woman is considerably lower risk than performing it on a man. This is probably due to two things. Number one, when performing oral sex on a woman, you would typically be exposed to a smaller amount of fluids. Number two, contrary to what the last person posted, every source I've read indicated that vaginal secretions tends to contain a considerably lower concentration of HIV than semen. Not to say that infection couldn't occur when performing oral on a woman because theoretically it can. I'm not sure how many cases have been documented though, but I think the number would be very low (if any).

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3381

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3