Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Connection to hiv?
      #44438 - 11/21/02 01:16 PM

Hello, had unprotected sex almost 2 years ago tested negative on pcr hiv test but recently had white blood count 3.9 which is near the bottom end normal is 3.8-10.5. Could this be some kind reason for possible hiv infection even though tests are negative? Thanks and GOD BLess.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Connection to hiv? new
      #44440 - 11/21/02 01:49 PM

What did your doctor say they felt was causing the low WBC? I'm sure you and they talked about it.

You say you had unprotected sex 2 years ago, but you don't say if the person was HIV positive or not. Also you tested negative. There are many things that can cause a low WBC, they include kidney or liver disease, radiation exposure or the presence of a toxic substance in the body.

I wouldn't focus too much on the possibility of HIV, however if it would put your mind at ease, then have your doctor give you another HIV test.

good luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#44451 - 11/21/02 04:47 PM

Your WBC is normal. Just because it's at the 'low end' doesn't mean anything. You don't have a low WBC UNTIL it goes out of the normal range. Also a WBC can be thrown off for many reasons. I don't even see how you can even consider HIV when you had a negative PCR TWO years ago. The only way you would need to be concerned about HIV now is if you have engaged in more unsafe acts. Has any one ever suggested you might be a Hypochondriac?

Kim
Unregistered

#44600 - 11/22/02 03:52 PM

You did not state how long after the sex act you tested. Did you test recently? Generally people take PCR tests and not antibody when they have not met a sufficient window period for the antibody. At what day or month was your test taken?

Usually a CBC is of no use whatsoever in detecting HIV. If you did not wait at leat 60 days after the sex to get tested, you need to test again just to be safe.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1034

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3