Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still Concerned
      #44067 - 11/16/02 01:32 PM

Hello, I am hoping someone out there can help me, I had a risk exposure to HIV/Hep C and many other stds, well I have had many symptoms, and the women was from South Korea so I am concerned about "Rare Strains". I have taken an antibody test for HIV/Hep A, B, and C, the last one being at 11 months. I am concerned about Coinfection would by eleven months would at least the HIV or the Hep C show. I have had other blood work done showing my wbc at 4500, and my ALT elevated at 65, also I had my Cholestrol taken it was 280 i believe, I have had nausea, and a feeling of not being well, so I had a CT-Scan done, which revealed no tumors, but a "Fatty Liver", I am slightly overwieght, but what can be causing this fatty liver, Hep? or since my tests have been negative is it the Cholestrol, please advise. Thank you Dylan

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Still Concerned new
      #44070 - 11/16/02 03:17 PM

You have an advanced case of fear and guilt but nothing else. Get over this nonsense. Life is far to short to live in fear.

You are making yourself sick.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#44119 - 11/17/02 12:36 AM

The only virus that could take a year to show is hep c,but 11 months is pretty close to a year.Some guidelines say 6 months is enough to test for hep c but some experts say 12 months,Im also worried if 6 months is good enough or does one have to test out to 1 year for hepc,I don't understand why the guidelines say 6 months but some experts say 12.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#44135 - 11/17/02 08:17 AM

Dr. Bob, from what I read does not believe that Hep C will delay seroconversion of HIV antibodies, from what I read. Is this true with new and current elisa's ?

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Archive/Other/Q138641.html, http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Archive/Comments/Q138424.html

Tom

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #44136 - 11/17/02 08:22 AM

Notice the word COMMON in the below article. Also notice, and this is important!....neither Hep or HIV is listed as a cause of fatty liver.

The window for Hep is 6 months. Your last test was negative at 11 months. I think you should be able to draw your own conclusion based on those two facts.

Since your doctors can find nothing seriously wrong with you, it's probably something as simple as poor diet. You are slightly overweight and have high cholesterol; both are indications of a poor diet. I guess you can add your fatty liver to that list.

As far as being concerned about rare strains. It’s time to get over that. You have no indications or symptoms of HIV infection, rare strain or otherwise. You have tested negative. Again, you need to assess the facts, and only the facts. Test results are objective, not subjective.

Even with you not wearing a condom, the odds from a one time encounter are not high at all. The tests you have had are sufficient.

You might want to check out some nutrition web sites. Sounds like you need to be there, more than you need to be here.

From the Mayo Clinic: www.mayoclinic.com

Fatty liver: Common, many causes

A fatty liver literally is a liver with accumulations of fat within its cells. Simple fatty liver does not damage the liver and is not a disease. Extreme weight gain (obesity), diabetes, or heavy alcohol use can cause fatty liver. Poor diet and illnesses such as tuberculosis, intestinal bypass surgery for obesity and certain drugs such as corticosteroids also can contribute to fatty liver.

Just how a liver becomes fatty remains unclear. The fat in a fatty liver may come from other parts of the body or from an increase in the amount of fat extracted form the large intestine and presented to the liver. Other possible explanations suggest a slowdown in the rate in which the liver breaks down and removes fat. Eating fatty foods, alone, will not produce a fatty liver.

Fatty liver is the most common liver disorder without symptoms in the United States. A fatty liver is enlarged and has a greasy, pale yellow look.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#44141 - 11/17/02 02:02 PM

Then why do some experts say to test out to a year for hep c.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #44144 - 11/17/02 02:55 PM

I guess things won't ever change around here.

I'm assuming you are not the orginal poster, but the poster that posted this....

"The only virus that could take a year to show is hep c,but 11 months is pretty close to a year.Some guidelines say 6 months is enough to test for hep c but some experts say 12 months,Im also worried if 6 months is good enough or does one have to test out to 1 year for hepc,I don't understand why the guidelines say 6 months but some experts say 12."

How the hell should I know. I guess for the same reason that some people say people should test out to 6 months for HIV. It's not the guideline, isn't supported anymore by research, but is only a personal preference or lack of knowledge about testing. I would guess some experts have a personal preference about Hep C that differs from the guidelines or there is not a complete consensus on the subject. You probably will have better luck finding an answer to that question on a board that deals with that subject.

Of course by the tone of your 'question' it sounds as if you have already made up your mind you need to wait a year. So wait.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1871

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3