Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Inconclusive SUDS
      #43934 - 11/14/02 10:59 PM

I recently tested at local Health Dept. They used a SUDS test. Was told that I was not positive but showed a very low reactivity. It's about 7 weeks since a protected vaginal sex and oral (performed on me) with a sex worker. I am waiting on results from a WB test. I've had several symptoms. I'm worried. I've read that condoms are always safe. I use on that she put on me orally.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by thebody new
      #43938 - 11/14/02 11:17 PM

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Inconclusive SUDS new
      #43954 - 11/15/02 07:32 AM

1. FYI: Just the Facts
AIDS
26-Jun-2002

2. Blocking the Bug
A bad reception for HIV.
23-Aug-2002

3. Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C: Just the Facts
07-Oct-2002

4. How long do microbes like bacteria and viruses live on surfaces in the home at normal room temperatures?
The answer is probably not what you want to hear.
07-Oct-2002

These are the only articles listed on the Popular Science site when a search is done on the word 'HIV'. http://www.popsci.com/popsci/search/results?query=HIV&config=popsci

None of these deal with what you posted. Please supply the link to this article or is what you posted a figment of your imagination?

My reply still is the same also, so I just reposted it also.

However, let's update. The orignial post was on the I Just Tested positive 10/25/02.

The original poster never did post the link where he saw this story. Since he/she refuses to let us read this article (if it exists)and decide FOR OURSELVES we must conclude it was a figment of the orginal posters imagination and so very typical of their behavior. Post what sounds good. Even when they post a real article, they edit out content that does not support their views.

chichi
Master

Reged: 06/02/02
i had a similar situation new
      #43972 - 11/15/02 03:40 PM

hi -

cant tell from your post if you used a condom during sex and or just for the oral but here is what happend to me.

i have posted my story many times before so i hope i dont bore anyone - just trying to help by sharing my experience.

in april i had unprotected sex with a guy on a first date - i am feamle - he pulled out (but who knows about preseminal fluids)and ejaculated outside of me. 3 days later i had to go to the obgyn - turns out the guy gave me herpes2! i then though about hiv and flipped even though he he aid he didnt have either but ...........
to move along with my suds story ......

i went at 7, 9 and 12 weeks for a rapid suds test and they all were negative - of course i stilll had hepres2 but no hiv - thank g-d!!! i also took a 3 month test at the obgyn at 12 weeks as well - also neg. i decided to end all testing and go at 26 weeks (6months+) and get tested to end the entire issue so i went to the place that did my other rapid suds in nyc - manhattan.
well ...... guess what happened!

the doctor said that they ran the suds test on ths same sample 2 times and it was reactive!! i had to then have that same sample go to be tested for a WB test -----
well, to make along story short - the WB was NEGATIVE!!!!!!

i had to wait like almost 2 weeks to find out that info.
i do not trust rapid tests - they can be wrong - as with me. how could i have been neg at 7,9,12 weeks and then be poz at 26.5 weeks? no way - but i still feaked out.

who knows why it was reactive - maybe the solution was to strong, maybe the person reading it didnt know what they were doing. these tests are made to be so sensitive that they pick up and react to other things and can give false poz - it happened to me.

i dont know your situation - i dont know what happened with you that night with a sex worker but tests can be wrong and tests can be right -

forget the suds - rely on the WB and always go to a doctor for the hiv tests.

that experience made me see my life flash before my eyes and i am still recovering from it - my suds tests was wrong at 6 months - after reading these boards and doing my own research - i realize that you do not go from a neg to a pos after the 3rd month.

stay cool -
chichi ...... negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Inconclusive SUDS new
      #43975 - 11/15/02 04:48 PM

Yes they are safe...for HIV, but you could get herpes and other stds...But you probably did not get any HIV. Who cares about the popular science article..you are looking for oddities. By the way the sex worker could have gonorrhea in her mouth...

Anonymous
Unregistered

Article new
      #44120 - 11/17/02 12:37 AM

I found the original article and read it.

Source: Popular Science, Jul2002, Vol. 261 Issue 1, p78, 1/8p
Author(s): Mowbray, Scott
Abstract: Focuses on the argument of cognitive scientist Gerd Gigerenzer about the accuracy of HIV tests. Implication of a positive result from HIV testing; Chance of a straight man with no known risk factors contracting HIV.

I won't post the full text

"Copyright of Popular Science is the property of Time4 Media and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission."

The article is about the value of screening programs in low-risk groups.

Any test that has a less than 100% specificity will have a low positive predictive value in a low prevalence population.
Pregancy tests are not 100% specific.
If you test 10,000 men with pregancy tests then you are bound to get several positives. None of these are likely to be true positives.
If on the other hand you test 10,000 fertile women that had unprotected sex in the previous weeks then all positives are likely to be true positives.

The liar also claims that HIV tests are not approved by the FDA.
The FDA disagrees.
http://www.fda.gov/cber/products/testkits.htm

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Article new
      #44138 - 11/17/02 10:35 AM

exactly. Pregnancy tests are not 100% accurate yet the "problem" of people unable to determine if they're pregnant or not doesn't exist. HIV tests are very accurate, though not 100%. Still,it is not a problem determining HIV status. These dissidents want you to believe there a tons of people who've been misdiagnosed. Not true.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1750

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3