Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Taz
Unregistered

More on window period for the Worried Well
      #4383 - 05/26/00 12:36 AM

From WEBMD.COM (specifically the comment on the 3rd generation ELISA tests):

The median interval between infection and seropositivity has been estimated at 3 months with earlier EIAs, with 95% seroconverting within 6 months. Estimates based on more sensitive third-generation EIAs, which may be positive within 1 week of peak antigen levels, suggest that the "window" period with current tests is substantially shorter (3-4 weeks).

And the source of this information?

Brown A, and the Planning Committee, Conference on Human Retrovirus Testing, Association of State and Territorial Public Health Laboratory Directors. 10th annual ASTPHLD Conference on HIV Testing summary report. CDC/NCID Focus, vol 5 no 6. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1995:7-8.

Good health to all, and don't worry so much.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this what that means? new
      #4384 - 05/26/00 03:07 AM

Hey Taz, long time no see. Gee, so I think that this is good information, right? As I see it, it means that with older ELISA generation test, even at that time they were able to catch most infections by 3 months with an accuracy of 95% at 6 months, right?
So the good news would be that if those older generations had already this ratio of sensitivity a third generation ELISA test that are now being used all over the world, I think, would be even more sensitive so that by like 1-2 months they will catch most infections and that by 3 months you can be as much as 99% or more than that sure you are fine? Right, is that what all this info means?
Wonder when or in what year they began using the third generation ELISAS? Hey Ive even heard in some places that they now talk about a fourth generation ELISA!

Taz
Unregistered

Re: Is this what that means? new
      #4399 - 05/26/00 05:33 PM

Yes, it's good news. Here's a link to the entire article if you're interested.

Based on my review of the citations in the article, 2nd generation tests were used up until about 1994-1995. 3rd generation tests started in 1995 and are still currently in use. The bottom line (my interpretation -- I'm not a medical professional) is this: 3rd generation ELISA's will detect 95% of HIV-infected individuals within 3-4 weeks of infection. A 3rd generation ELISA at 3 months will detect approximately 99.5% of HIV infections and one at 6 months will detect 99.9% of infections.

So, to recap:

1 month test: 95% i.e. pretty conclusive
3 month test: 99.5% i.e. extremely conclusive
6 month test: 99.9% i.e. definitive

The articles that DUDE posted are very informative and one fact is unavoidable. If a foreign virus is introduced into the body, your immune system WILL respond by producing antibodies. If your immune system doesn't produce antibodies, then it doesn't matter because you're probably already dead. HIV replicates itself at a massive rate when it first invades the body, up to 100,000 copies per milliliter. This causes an intense reaction by your immune system (i.e. you get sick). Those antibodies WILL be detected by the ELISA test. Period. The test is extremely sensitive.

Looking back on things, it's pretty obvious to me that my 3 month test was definitive. I just wasn't convinced of the results and put myself through additional months of hell. I hope my by posting, I can prevent some others from going through the same thing. I know how hard it is to stop thinking that you're infected because I went through it myself. You just have to have faith in the medical community. They know what they're talking about on this issue.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Is this what that means? new
      #4406 - 05/26/00 05:48 PM

Taz, im glad to see your positive change. Your the guy that had an "incident" with the massage, right? That stuff that you had mutual masturbation, right? Well, ive seen a great improvement in you. Back then, like 3 or 4 months ago you were pretty much a PARONOID. You insist on anyone that tested negative at 3 months should still test at 6 months and then like 7 or/and 8 months. Then...hope for the best.
As I told you before, im glad youve change for good. Your right, doctors wont tell lies and they know what they are talking about. So long. Ok.

DUDE
Unregistered

THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST POST YET new
      #4416 - 05/26/00 06:04 PM

Good factual, positive and realiable information.
Great. . . and thank you!
This information gives me ease on this memorial weekend.
DUDE

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1591

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3