Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
2Test_To_Go
Unregistered

7 week elisa
      #43568 - 11/11/02 01:49 PM

I suffered a very severe case of what I believe to be ARS. I had extreme night sweats, white tongue with unusual blemishes, very very dark urine, bad fatigue, swollen lymphs ect. My last sexual experience had been three weeks before. They did an elisa hiv test at the hospital 6 days after I got ill(27 days after the sexual experience)(they also did a mono, west nile, and hep test). The tests to my surprise came out negative. I met with my doctor on Monday to test for Hep A B and C. I showed negative for A B and C and I had the vaccine 7 years proir. (I have very little fear that I contracted C) My doctor then asked I return in three weeks for another elisa test. I said okay and freaked out over the next three weeks and went back in with the fear I would be postive- again to my surprise I was negative. My fatigue and white coated tongue are the only symptoms left now and I have a couple questions before I go back in for my 3 month test.

1) My doc has said that three weeks after symptoms began would be an excellent time to test because my body has had time to recognize what was happening and produce antibodies to fight it. Is this true or are really bad symptoms a sign of a weak immune sysytem that will take longer to produce antibodies.

2) I used ecstasy and alcohol right before I got ill (really stupid). Is it possible that this caused me to sero. later than most people- maybe pulled my immune response down further and confused it so antibodies were not created immediatly? Or can ecstasy cause liver damage and effect the immune system to cause these symptoms.

3) I do realize that testing at 3 and 6 months is important to get a solid answer but I cant find anyone who has shown negative at 6 weeks and positive later. I do realize it can happen because the cdc the body and most doctors say it is possible. I just cant find evidence of anyone showing negaive at 6 weeks and positive at 3 months. If you know of cases where this happened please let me know. Im not trying to start a big debate and I agree that getting tested at 6 months is important I just want to know of one person who had a neagtive at 6 weeks and became positive after.

4) My last question is if anyone else out there has had liver and immune system problems after a heavy week of partying and excercise.

I realize these might be some bonehead questions! I truly appreciate the help and support that you all might be able to give. For all those in the same position keep your heads up and be safe.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 7 week elisa new
      #43574 - 11/11/02 02:43 PM

The average time for antibodies to show up is 25 days. Very very rarely will a person test negative at 6 weeks and positive at 3 months. If your symptoms were from ARS, then your 2nd test would have been positive. What you describe as ARS isn't.

Ecstacy and alcohol don't delay sero-conversion. Think about it. Herion doesn't delay seroconversion for IV drug users.

I'm sure plenty of people have had immune and liver problems after partying heavily. At best the effects are short lived and minor. It is well known that drug and alchol abuse can cause major health problems. Especially for the liver. It sounds like this wasn't a one time party binge for you and your symptoms might just be caused by living to hard.

Ignore the symptoms because they don't tell you anything and from the sounds of it, can certainly be attributed to other things. Believe your test results when you take your conclusive test at 3 months. With a negative test at 6 weeks the odds are it will also be negative.

2_Test_To_Go
Unregistered

#43596 - 11/11/02 05:23 PM

Thanks for the words. I do realize that my weekend life has got a little bit out of controll!!

One more question. I have gone to a rapid testing center both times and don't know whether or not I got an Eisa 1 2 or 3- Do I need to call them to get details and should I get retested with another version.

Thanks to everyone who reads these messages in the effort to support us with honest straight forward information. You ROCK!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43597 - 11/11/02 05:27 PM

The difference between the tests in early testing is only a week or so. By 3 months they all are considered accurate and conclusive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43604 - 11/11/02 07:12 PM

Rapid tests are good cause you get the results in like an hour, however, there is a higher rate of false positives. You do not want to get that!! Then you will have to wait a week for a Western Blot going crazy. I would suggest an ELISA antibody, no rapid. EIA has the HIGHEST sensitivity and specificity of ANY test by far(after the window). Ask ChiChi about the rapid SUDS, she'll tell you!!

chichi
Master

Reged: 06/02/02
Re: rapid suds new
      #43605 - 11/11/02 08:28 PM

hi,
rapids worked great for me at 7, 9, and 12 weeks - all negative. i didnt want to wait days for results - so i got a suds rapid (live in nyc). then, at 26 weeks i went for a suds to finish off this testing the hiv thoughts and for some reason - the rapid came back reactive - 2 times. so then i had to wait and get the western blott test which took almost 2 weeks - that turned out to be NEGATIVE.

i am negative but i didnt need for the suds to give me a false positive or be reactive at the 6th month mark -
why it did - i dont know, it seems the suds is very sensitive any can pick up other things or it could have been the solution or the person reading the results wasn't qualified so they had to cover their asses by having me take the WB. I lost my mind when i heard reactive after being neag at 7-9-12- weeks! the test is geared towards speed - not accuracy. like - quality vs quanitity!

PLEASE - DO THE 3 AND THE 6 MONTH TEST (IF YOU WANT THE 6 MONTH TEST)AT REGULAR DOCTORS OFFFICE WITH THE STANDARD TESTS - ITS WORTH THE WAIT.

rapid tests have given good results so far to go by but stop while you are ahead and get the regular tests -

why take a chance and have a false pos or reactive and then flip out - go get the standard tests - you dont want to go thru what i did.

i would only test by my ob/gyno (im female) and have the elias - eia or what ever the standard is called. but .... thats just my opinion.

chichi

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: rapid suds new
      #43609 - 11/11/02 09:29 PM

Hi:
I do agree with the previous posters.
If you want to detect earlier than the 3 months you can also try an HIV-PCR (I did). Anyway you should go in a place where it is a well-established technique because, even if not difficult to perform, it is extremely sensitive (so it catch the virus very well but, on the other hand, there are odds that it detects a false positive). Furthermore it is pretty expensive.
Anyway, your symptoms do not match with the ARS. I would investigate about the dark urines, indeed, checking the liver function (transaminases, PA, gamma-GT, bilirubin - direct and indirect) because it might suggest a liver damage due to recreational drugs. When it happens it can be an acute self-limiting problem (likely) but if it is more severe an early diagnosis would be welcome. Anyway, do not freak out for that: symptoms are still not enough specific, as dark urine can be due to several causes, included not medical (expecially when it is an isolated symptom). Also the kidney function could be assessed.
Stay well

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3246

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3