Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

swelling in sides of face? Please answer!
      #43351 - 11/09/02 02:28 AM

On May 14, 2002, I had a possible exposure to HIV via heterosexual contact unprotected without ejaculation and about a week to 2 weeks later I developed this tingly sensations inside my mouth, my saliva glands overproduced saliva which sometimes woke me up than I had slight swelling on each side, before this happened I was negative, I tested at exactly 33 days later and was negative. I didn't have any other symptoms related to the classic symptoms of avs, I am so scared, the swelling went down and hasn't came back, I am now undergoing testing and will have a result back on the 18th. I feel very concerned, I can't sleep, I have worried myself to the point of exersion, all my life I have had major symptoms to everything else, I have had severe ulcers of the mouth, whenever I get the flu or bronchitis I get extremely ill, since my medical history is so crazy, if I were to be exposed to HIV wouldn't have been worse for me? I have always been sickly. Anyways, the doctors I went to see were all very adament about stating that they did not see any swelling, one went ahead and gave me antibiotics then I went to two more doctors and they palpatated the areas and said there were no swellings of my lymph nodes or salivary glands, one was trying to show me that the sides of the face are not equal. I have a daughter, I can't live with a diagnosis of this disease, can you please set my mind at ease so I can sleep while I wait for test results....much appreciative.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: swelling in sides of face? Please answer! new
      #43353 - 11/09/02 04:11 AM

Heterosexual transmission of 'AIDS' (even if you believe in it) is very, very rare. The symptoms you describe can have a number of causes, all nothing to do with sex.

Your fear (and possible guilt) is the root of your problem and can even cause immune suppression.

You use the term 'unprotected' as if condoms could provide protection against a virus yhat is 500 times smaller than the pores in the material.

My advice is to calm down, and if the symptoms persist, see a doctor without mentioning 'AIDS'. See what he says before telling him you think you have 'AIDS". Don't fall into the trap of having a worthless test, getting a false positive and then slowly killing yourself with highly toxic 'meds'.

I would bet you anything there is nothing serious wrong with you except a bad case of fear.

Enjoy sex. You will find few safer ways to pass time or any that provide so much joy.

Very best wishes

http://www.aidsRC.org

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #43363 - 11/09/02 12:58 PM

What you describe doesn't sound like ARS. From what you said it doesn't even sound like you have any symptoms.

All the doctors you have seen have been 'very adament about stating that they did not see any swelling' I would assume you don't have any swelling. You didn't believe the first or even the second doctor about the fact your face isn't swelling so you went to a third. That doesn't bode well for believing your test results.

It's very likely that your test results will remain negative. For both men and women, the odds of contracting HIV from a one time unprotected encounter with someone known to be HIV + is about 1 in 500. That's with someone known to have it. It's unlikely your partner is even infected.

You said you tested at 33 days and you are now testing again. Why did you wait so long. You could have put this all behind you back in August. I'm sure the stress of waiting all this additional time certainly has played a role in how you feel.

Oh, one more thing....

You said 'I have a daughter, I can't live with a diagnosis of this disease' That seems a bit overly dramatic and a bit selfish. If you were diagnosised with this disease...you have a daughter, you can't do anything, but learn to live with this disease. I guess it's lucky for you or your daughter that the odds are your test will be negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43366 - 11/09/02 01:43 PM

Holes in Condoms? As usual you don't have your facts straight. This misinformation as been making the rounds for years. What's so funny about this is that the same misinformation can be found on the extreme right web sites such as American Life League. They are the same group that got all upset because Planned Parenthood and The American Red Cross handed out free condoms at the Olympics.

"We will not put up with condom pushers lying to and deceiving kids," says Bryan Kemper, director of Rock For Life, a division of American Life League. "Condoms do not protect you against the HIV or HPV viruses. Handing out condoms to kids is endorsing promiscuous sex. That's irresponsible, immoral and an outrage.

Of course they use the argument to promote abstinence. You use it to promote unsafe sex. Pretty sad when your two groups find themselves passing on the same misinformation. Neither group can acknowledge the fact that it has been proven that condoms reduce the risk of HIV because it would cause your whole hypothesis to fall apart.

What's really distrubing is that in continuing to pass misinformation such as this both groups are putting people's lives in danger.

You dissidents must be getting pretty desperate to find yourselves aligned with the extreme right web sites. I guess desperation can make for strange bedfellows.

Questions and Answers On Holes in Condoms

CDC NATIONAL AIDS HOTLINE TRAINING BULLETIN #11 - July 1, 1992
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are answers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to questions concerning reports of holes in latex condoms.
1. There have been recent reports of naturally occurring holes in latex that are big enough for HIV to pass through. Why does CDC still recommend condoms to prevent HIV infection?

The reports of holes in latex appear to have originated from an article in Science magazine about latex gloves, not condoms. Holes as large as 5 microns in diameter were evidently identified in latex used in gloves. However, gloves are only dipped in latex once when they are made, condoms are dipped in latex twice. Gloves are allowed to fail the water leak test at a rate of 40 per thousand, while condoms are only allowed 4 failures of the water leak test per thousand condoms before the entire batch of condoms is rejected. While holes large enough to allow HIV to pass through have been found in natural membrane condoms, latex condoms do not allow HIV to pass through the condom unless the condom has been damaged or torn. Used properly, latex condoms are effective in reducing the risk of HIV infection.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43375 - 11/09/02 04:38 PM

"one time unprotected encounter with someone known to be HIV + is about 1 in 500".

You mean 1 : 5,000,000

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43376 - 11/09/02 04:42 PM

I've never heard of this as a symtom of HIV infection.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43477 - 11/10/02 06:25 PM

None of the symptoms you describe sound related to HIV. Most people test positive by 33 days. so your chances are very slim to be infected.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1921

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3