Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
DUDE
Unregistered

Two responses I thought worthy of re-posting
      #4291 - 05/23/00 10:03 PM

Fellas fellas fellas,,,,
It's certainly time to move one. These HIV tests are very sensative. If you are infected with the HIV virus (or any virus for that matter) the human body produces anti-bodies. The body reacts. THink of it like this. If you splash boiling water on your arm, will your skin produce a blister? You bet. It may take a day longer than anothre person, but a blister will be produced. The body reacts.
Anti-bodies are the immunes systems way of reacting to the foreign microb. After six months, your young and healthly bodies would have produced the ani-bodies and these very very sentitive tests react to them. There is no conspiracy, or lie about the window period. It is, however, posilbe you have another illness. Stop focusing on HIV, that thought is history. Find out what is really wrong with you. Best wishes, DUDE
One other thing not related to your post, but this scared the devil out of me. I was reading a transcript of an AIDS conference on the pandemic in Africa. One doctor said something like this: "we are dealing with microbs and they want meat, and they don't care what color, gender or race that meat is."
Scary, uh!

To: Anonymous person:
No. No. You've got it all wrong. HIV means Human Immunedeficiency Virus
AIDS means Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome.
Please excuse my spelling, it's been a long day at work.
Once a person is infected with the virus, the body will recognize it within about 25 days, or it may take up to six months. The recognition is when the body says "Oh, a new virus is here for us to fight, let's produce an anti-body to fight it." At that point it's called seroconversion. Seroconversion is the production of anti-bodies. After seroconversion, the virus gets to a set-point, sort of like a leveling off. No symptoms may show up for years, but quietly the virus has your immune system running high to keep it at bay.
Then your immune system is slowly broken down by the continuous replication process (this is how I understand it in my terms). Think of as having a cold forever. Your body would just exhaust itself from fighting the cold. Well, after years of being a work horse keeping HIV at bay, the immune system gets weaker. Then opportunist infections come in like KS, and other cancers. The virus causes AIDS, but the (OI's) Opportunist Infections are what ultimately take life. Again, this is just my understanding. I'm sure someone could punch wholes through this, cuz it's not very technical and probably missed some big points.Hope that helps
DUDE

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 923

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3