Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
crazy_person

Reged: 09/29/02
How long has this been going on?
      #42162 - 10/22/02 08:45 AM

How long have people been suffering with what are HIV-like symptoms who do not have HIV? I'm HIV negative, past the window period, but continue to have HIV (even early-AIDS) symptoms. I'm wondering if there is some new HIV mimic virus going around that the body ultimately overcomes (hopefully). Is this a new phenomenon say in the last couple of years, or have there always been people who are consistently negative with symptoms, and not just a few symptoms, but more than you can count on your hands? I'm talking about symptoms other than those that can be caused by stress/anxiety, that come on 4-6 weeks after a risky encounter. One of the Drs. on the forums (I think it was Rick Sowadsky, but I'm not sure) made a statement that he is surprised at how many people continue with dramatic symptoms after the window period lately, and there may be some other virus, not HIV, that is the cause. I don't have HIV, but I have SOMETHING and I caught whatever it is from a low risk encounter, and though I'm getting better slowly over time, my symptoms were extremely severe and all pointed directy to HIV even early-AIDS. Is there something ELSE going around?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KitG
Expert

Reged: 01/15/01
Re: How long has this been going on? new
      #42164 - 10/22/02 10:24 AM

"How long have people been suffering with what are HIV-like symptoms who do not have HIV?"

The simple answer is that it's been going on ever since HIV was discovered, maybe even since AIDS was identified. I've seen things written about people early on in the epidemic who were having symptoms but were OK or who tested negative. The internet has probably caused it to mushroom though, or at least make it more widely reported. Ever since The Body has been going (1997 is it?) or Joel Gallant's been answering questions, there's always been people wondering whether there's a new virus. Lots of people here have, me being one of them. I went from being convinced I was HIV+, to being convinced I had something else, to ultimately believing that it wasn't some new virus, but the very real effect of long term constant stress, fear, anxiety, call it what you like. There's a lot of stuff written which backs this up, but not much written about HIV fear specifically.

So when you say "symptoms other than those that can be caused by stress/anxiety" I suppose I would have to question that, because I think that some people think that "stress/anxiety" seems to suggest it's all in the mind, whereas it's been proved that stress and anxiety can affect basically every bodily system and function bar none.

Also, like you say a lot of these encounters are low risk. Well that would mean we are talking about a very contagious virus which would be endemic in the population and which would be being experienced by thousands, millions, who might never have even given HIV a thought. So where are all these people?

The nearest thing I ever found to what I went through, apart from accounts from other people here, was people's descriptions of ME or chronic fatigue syndrome. But then that doesn't tell you whether there's a virus, or if it's just the way some people respond to certain things or what.

Glad to hear you're getting better slowly over time. Same happened to me and hopefully that will be reassuring to anyone going through it now.

confused
Unregistered

#42170 - 10/22/02 11:18 AM

Have you tested for hepatitis b and c,the symptoms can be the same as hiv.

still guessing
Unregistered

#42171 - 10/22/02 11:27 AM

IT'S BEEN THREE YEARS FOR ME.

Unlucky
Unregistered

#42175 - 10/22/02 11:59 AM

Hi Crazy:
Im sure you have seen my posts I too have had very real unexplained symptoms following a low risk exposure. Thank you for sharing your ordeal. I could have attributed it to stress, but my wife has had some of the same symptoms, and she has no idea of my possible exposure, which was only open mouth kissing.
Keep in touch Im sure we will find out something soon hopefully. I ask the same question if stress and anxiety could do all this why isnt it documented
I wonder all the time about a new HIV like virus, after all it took years and large numbers of people were infected before HIV and aids were ever defined and descovered.
I remember talking to a nurse way back around 1980 and her telling me she treated alot of gay men and she said to me you wouldn,t believe some of the stuff that gay men were comming in with. Stuff she never saw before Well at that time HIV and Aids were not descovered. So they were being treated for what we know now was ARS and ARC
I hope this is not the case now but history will only logtically tell us that HIV and Aids will for sure not be the last sexually transmitted disease we will see.
Still suffering from wierd oral problems myself
Good Luck
Unlucky

Anonymous
Unregistered

#42184 - 10/22/02 02:16 PM

People with HIV/AIDS as their immune system depletes get OI's, most of which are easily identifiable...pnumocystis can be tested for, KS can too...CMV, lymphoma, are all diseases with can be DIAGNOSED. While it is true some hiv have "general" symptoms that can't be diagnosed they most alway end up with one of the EASILY DIAGNOSED diseases I just mentioned...in the beginning the most common diseases to strike was pneumosystis...now I belive it is shingles...you all don't seem to have ANY identifiable, diagnosable diseases...if say just ONE of you had what would be a typical immuno-conpromised disease then what you're claiming might indeed be HIV

crazy_person

Reged: 09/29/02
      #42194 - 10/22/02 06:38 PM

Yep, tested negative for all the hepatitis' and other STD's thank God. I will continue to test in three month increments until my Dr's and I figure out what the hell is going on. Until such time that I know what is going on and whether or not it is contagious/curable, sex is off the menu for me. I don't want to give whatever this is to anyone else.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#42199 - 10/22/02 07:42 PM

Early AIDS at 4-6 weeks? At that rate you should be dead by December. Early AIDS symptoms don't show up for years. Don't you know anything.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#42200 - 10/22/02 07:44 PM

3 years of being a nutcase. Must be a record.

uhohblita
Guru

Reged: 05/02/02
      #42208 - 10/22/02 08:18 PM

its coming up on two years for me. mind you i havent been obsessed with it for that long but i did experience a variety of things ever since "exposure". i did go through something of an ARS type syndrome but didnt even worry about that which concerns me about many people who come here, test negative, then leave. i have become a little more comfortable with the fact that its not HIV for a variety of reasons. there are some things missing such as fevers which none of us seem to get. none of us seems to have a convincing enough argument for phsyicians to comprehend or be willing to take time for such "minor" complaints. this is supposed to be comforting, LOL. i do think everyone focuses on HIV which, when the tests turn out negative, gives us little credibility.
i do think that another virus, possibly spread easier, is possibly out there. perhaps its like HIV but can get through skin barrier easier or mouth membranes both of which HIV cannot. perhaps it dies just as quickly in the air which is why not everyone has it as KitG suggests. there are too many variables at this time. perhaps in the last 20 years our body has developed just enough resistence to it to keep at bay.
regarding infecting someone else, i am really scared as well. on one hand, i would like to finally meet a "nice" girl so i dont have to worry about stds anymore, but on the other hand i feel like i have something that i would not want to give to that nice girl EVER. sometimes i feel like doing some slut just to see if anything happens to her, but i have not done that either my concious prevents it. i do sympathize with those of you who have wifes/families with possible symptoms.
also, i DO realize MANY of the things that stress brought upon me. i would look at parts of my body and all the sudden doubt that it was normal. i would have a pain here, and pain there, etc. focus on one body part and you can make it hurt this i know. truly though i think there is more than stress going on (even though stress definately exacerbates the situation). typical stress symptoms such as shortness of breath, racing heartbeat, etc. are almost never complaints on this board. youve most seen my armpits and damnit i should have taken pictures of some other things like my disaster of a hairy tongue but i was dumb at the time to think people would just believe me.
hopefully, even if there is something out there, it creates at the most uncomfortable complaints. none of us have been hospitalized that i am aware of. perhaps these we will live with for the rest of our otherwise healthy life. perhaps stress effects everyone physically so different that any similarities are nonexistent. who knows. call 20/20 or 60 minutes maybe they'll do a story on it. we may live to see something out of it but hopefully not, right? you never know when your time will come. wear your seatbelts, and best of luck to you all!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2577

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3