Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
joe_swiss
Regular

Reged: 10/13/02
symptoms but still negative
      #41745 - 10/13/02 12:01 PM

Hi there,

I am in a weird situation: My pot. exposure was 5 months ago. I might have been in oral contact with menstrual blood of a former street drug user on May,11/12th 2002 (i was drunk) I am 26 and male.

HIV/ARS- symptoms started at week 2 (swolen lymph nodes all over my body, sore throat, trenching night sweats, etc.) HEPATITIS symptoms started around week 6-8 (fatique, abdominal pain, itchy skin, urin/stool discoloration)

I started measuring my T-cells at week 8: My CD4 count changed since then from 499 to 560 and now, at week 22, down to 460. My CD4:CD8 ratio changed from 1.4 to 1.3 and now to 1.27. I also have/had elevated liver values (e.g. ALT around 57, bilirubin was constantly around 25, QUICK slightly too low, PTT/BCS slightly too high).

I have stayed in bed the last two months and I am still feeling sick many hours a day. I have swolen lymph nodes, white tounge (since week 2) and many liver-related symptoms are still there. My energy level is at 30-40% of my former energy.

My doc does not know what to do with me. My blood looks normal otherwise (not anemic, etc.). i take a lots of vitamins since a few weeks in hope to boost my energy (so far with little success)

HOWEVER, all tests so far seem to indicate that i did not catch HIV or hepatitis (?)

* 8 HIV antibody tests from week 6 to week 22, most 3rd generation, all negative.

* 3 HIV PCR tests, done between week 10 and 16: negative

* 1 HIV viral culture (28 days) with PERT tests done twice a week: not reactive

* 4 p24 tests (combined with the antibody-tests): between week 6 and week 18: negative (ok, they where useless because not taken in the correct time frame)

* Candida (because of fear of thrush): antigen negative, candida IgG positive (doc said that is quite common)

* 4 HCV PCR (qual.) tests. (3 roche, 1 bayer versant), done between week 11 and 16: all negative

* 4 HCV antibody tests: all negative

* 2 HBV PCR tests, both at week 14: both negative

* 4 HBV panels: HBe, HBs antigen negative, core antibodies negative, HBs antibodies where pos, ca. 56, probably because of a vaccination i received 15 yrs ago. Got vaccinated three weeks ago and HBs antibodies are now > 1000, antigens and core antibodies still negative

* HAV negative/vaccinated, HDV antibodies negative

* ultrasound showed no liver damage

however, many pcr tests and the hiv viral culture test required long distance-transportation and i am not sure if the virus surived until the samples reached the lab. however, i did the tests in different labs, to avoid consistent lab errors as far as possible.

BTW: I would happily accept the negative results, if i would feel good!!!!!

what do you think about that? anybody with similar experiences? i like the idea that it is just a mental thing, but it is pretty hard to believe.

thank you very much,
joe, switzerland

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
negative new
      #41748 - 10/13/02 01:00 PM

Joe,
You are Negative!!!!
Why can you not believe the results of all you’re testing, not every ailment or thing you are feeling is HIV, you need to understand that you have tested out and do not have HIV. The things you are feeling and experiencing has to be caused by something else. There is no HIV virus in your system or the tests you have taken would have shown it in there.

Trust the tests and find out what is causing this other than HIV.

The G-Man

JOHN_IN_LONDON
Regular

Reged: 07/27/02
Re: symptoms but still negative new
      #41750 - 10/13/02 02:36 PM

Dear Joe,i read your postings,and i just had to try to help you.its all very well for gmanbil to say oh your neg just belive it!he said the same to me.he is just trying to help,
the best way anyone can i suppose.he is a good person,But it can be very upseting to have symptoms from unknown cause,even more if you had a sexual exposure.ok joe lets take your story apart,as this is the only way for you,
i know you are very clever,so logic should help you.
1.you have had every known test for hiv except pro viral dna.pro viral dna looks for hiv virus inside cd4 cells.
you can have this test,but it will be negative.
2,you have had a viral culture,yes their could be a possible problem with transporting the blood,but as long as the blood was in a fridge it should be good enough.
3.you have also had a hcv,and heb b pcr to rule out co/infection,but remember hep c is hard to catch sexually not immpossible BUT HARD!.
4.YOU have had raised liver enzymes me too!,
have you been tested for CMV,EBV?.IF NOT DO IT.
5.YOUR EXPOSURE WAS RISK WAS SMALL.
6.YOUR CD4 IS NORMAL AND HAS BEEN NORMAL ALL ALONG.
CD4 GO UP AND DOWN ALL THE TIME,EVEN DURING THE DAY.
7.IF YOU HAD DETECTABLE ANTIBODYS TO HEP B VACCINE >1000,
WHICH IS A STRONG RESPONSE!THEN HAD YOU COME INTO CONTACT WITH HIV WE CAN SAFELY ASSUME YOU WOULD HAVE MADE ANTIBODYS,
JUST LIKE YOU DID FOR HEP B!,AND THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED UP ON THE TESTS.
8.YOUR VIRAL LOADS ie bdna,pcr.would have been positive,
unless you had a strain of virus not detected by them.
(very unusual for bdna not to pick it up).
in which case you also ruled out that tiny possibility by having your viral culture.(detects all strains of hiv).
9 i would say you are 100%negative,you do not have hiv.
remember,the only test you never mentioned was PROVIRAL DNA FOR HIV1.TAKE THE TEST,IT WILL BE NEGATIVE,THEN YOU CAN BELIVE......THERE IS NO TESTS LEFT TO TAKE.JOHN

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: symptoms but still negative new
      #41751 - 10/13/02 03:42 PM

Dear John!

thank you for your great message - it is much more than i could expect!!

* thanks for the hint about CMV and EBV! i will test for it. did you test positive for CMV or EBV? did that explain your elevated liver values?

* thanks for your hint about the proviral DNA test! I have read sometimes about it but i mixed it up with RT-PCR, so i never queried the labs about it. well thats what i will do now!

* you also mentioned bDNA: (which is the other kind of hiv-test i never took, because i had difficulties to find a lab for bDNA). Finally i dismissed the idea, because i read that Roche amplichor 1.5 (which was used for my PCRs) does detect the same subtypes as bDNA: hiv1-a,b,c,d,e,f,g (but not h, i, o, just like bDNA) But i guess if i find a lab that offers bDNA i will get one, just to be 100% sure.

* your statement about the implications of my strong HBV antibody response is really EXCITING! i will ask an immunologist to confirm this but this statement gives me really hope!

thank you!

joe

joe_swiss
Regular

Re: negative new
      #41753 - 10/13/02 04:01 PM

Hi GMan,

thank you for your comment. It is very good to hear from other people that my tests indicate negative hiv status.

well, my symptoms and especially the very accurate timing of their appearance really forced me to believe i have hiv and/or hep-c. i was already thinking about the HAART regimen i should start with or if i should get peg-interferon treatment for hep-c first, etc. But every test was negative! At first i was even upset and angry (!) because i felt that i was missing the timeframe for early treatment for HIV and HEP-C just because of those "false negatives"!

However, today I know that the chances that ALL the tests I took where FALSE NEGATIVE are far below 1%.

And you are right: i need to figure out what is causing the symtpoms (other than HIV). This is what i will do!

thanks,
joe

JOHN_IN_LONDON
Regular

Reged: 07/27/02
Re: MORE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU JOE new
      #41754 - 10/13/02 04:10 PM

JOE,ALSO YOUR CD4-CD8 RATIO IS NORMAL,VERY GOOD NEWS.
IF YOU HAVE THE PRO VIRAL DNA,THEN DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET TO THE LAB ETC.I ASKED MY LAB TECH.
HE SAID DNA FOR HIV DETECTION IS VERY ROBUST,(STRONG).
AND WILL LAST FOR WEEKS IN THE FRIDGE ALSO THE PHLS SERVICE HERE IN LONDON ACCEPTS POSTAL SAMPLES!for pro viral DNA.
(LONDON POST IS NOT THE FASTEST).DONT WORRY JOE,WE ARE ALL GOING THROUGH THIS HELL.GOOD LUCK BROTHER........JOHN.

joe_swiss
Regular

Re: MORE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU JOE new
      #41755 - 10/13/02 06:29 PM

hi John!

thanks again! thanks for taking the time helping me sorting out the open questions!

yes my cd4:cd8 ratio seems okay right now but the trend (1.4, 1.3, 1.27) scares me a bit, but only time will tell if this is really a trend or just a nasty coincidence.

thanks again, i will keep you updated!

joe

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2960

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3