Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is why PCR arent as strong as an ELISA test.
      #4169 - 05/20/00 02:15 PM

Hello. Ive been reading many people talking about PCR test. Sure they are good and in most cases very good signs but it doesnt work well in all individuals. ELISA test do work well in all individuals so thats why still the golden standard. 3 or 6 months? This is another stuff but ELISA is better than any PCR. Read this recently answered question by Dr. Gallant.

Dr. Gallant - - -

Quick question; I hope you don't think this is repetitive of anything.

I had tested negative in December on an ELISA. I also had a viral load test done, which came back less than 400 copies/undetectable. Both tests were done just over a month after the exposure.

Now, I tested positive just four weeks later. How was this possible? Did the virus lay dormant at the time? Or was it maybe sitting there at 399 at the day of the test? I'm confused.

Shouldn't the viral load be detectable right away? Even though I didn't have ARS?

Thanks.

As I've said before, the viral load test is the definitive test for the acute retroviral syndrome, but it is not sensitive enough to rule out HIV infection at other stages. Your case is a perfect illustration of why I repeatedly tell people to rely on the serology to make the diagnosis rather than insisting on viral load or PCR assays.

If you have a question about this answer, you may post a follow-up question.

All information presented in this Johns Hopkins AIDS Service web site Patient Forum is intended for general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. Readers should and are encouraged to seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult their physicians before starting a new treatment regimen or changing a current treatment regimen.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: This is why PCR arent as strong as an ELISA test. new
      #4174 - 05/20/00 02:54 PM

Gallant is referring to the viral load (RNA quantification) PCR test. It is possible (but not likely) for this test to be a "false negative" at 4 weeks.

HOWEVER, the PCR test that is EXTREMELY accurate at diagnosing HIV infection (yes or no)is the DNA PCR. The DNA PCR test maximizes magnificationa and detection of the virus because it is simply looking for the virus rather than trying to count it. In addition, DNA PCR looks for the virus within blood cells - where it will ALWAYS be after infection.

The question to Gallant you cite makes sense in advising caution in the use of RNA/viral load PCRs for diagnosis. However, DNA PCRS are EXTREMELY accurate in diagnosing early infection - according to experts as qualified as Gallant.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4175 - 05/20/00 04:47 PM

The honest truth is that I wrote that note to Gallant. It's bullshit. I had a negative viral load test at a month and it was negative. I've since had an Elisa at a month and it too was negative.

Don't believe the post.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4180 - 05/20/00 05:52 PM

Just wondering what was your reason for writing a phony note to Gallant? I suspect you just wanted to get infor about PCRs????

Anonymous
Unregistered

I cant believe it! new
      #4184 - 05/20/00 06:54 PM

So, youre actually saying that you just make up that story and you were lying about thet truth???????? just to make Dr. Gallant answer you??????

Anonymous
Unregistered

I cant believe it! new
      #4185 - 05/20/00 06:54 PM

So, youre actually saying that you just make up that story and you were lying about the truth???????? just to make Dr. Gallant answer you??????

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4186 - 05/20/00 06:56 PM

Actually I cant believe he did that! Dr. Gallant is a busy man. Anyway, truth or not, it seems that maybe that case have actually presented before because Dr. Gallant seems to know about it. Or not?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4187 - 05/20/00 06:56 PM

Actually I cant believe he did that! Dr. Gallant is a busy man. Anyway, truth or not, it seems that maybe that case have actually presented before because Dr. Gallant seems to know about it. Ok.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I cant believe it! new
      #4196 - 05/20/00 09:28 PM

yeah i made that stuff up because i know gallant doesn't like to answer questions about testing, but i do respect his opinions.

DUDE
Unregistered

Gallant's helping the HIV POZ-don't post lies new
      #4200 - 05/20/00 09:47 PM

hey butt-head
don't waste Gallant's time. He's helping those infected!
You are wrong for doing that!
DUDE

Worried like U
Unregistered

Re: Gallant's helping the HIV POZ-don't post lies new
      #4205 - 05/21/00 06:57 AM

DUDE is right, you are wasting the time of a man who is probably working many more hours than he should be. He could have used the time he did to respond to you to help someone truly in need. People like us who are worried well should have more compassion than that for people who are really sick. Please think of what you are doing next time and that you may be taking time from someone who is legitimately sick and really needs Dr Gallant's help.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Gallant's helping the HIV POZ-don't post lies new
      #4246 - 05/22/00 05:37 PM

unfortunately there is nobody answering our questions. Nobody wants to answer! Not even our own doctors sometimes! I didnt write that question, but i disagree, a small lie cant hurt if it can help you and maybe others with the same question. The good thing about knowing this person lied is maybe all those people that wrote they converted after 6 months lied too, just to see what kind of response they would get! So right now i would say all those conversion questions after 6 months are probably LIES dont believe them.
This is the problem with the internet. Nobody knows whos who and if they are tellling the truth. You can be a guy pretending to be a girl or viceversa you can be a complete hunk or beauty etc etc.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3444

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3