Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Safer Sex?
      #40377 - 09/19/02 07:52 AM

Im just curious. The experts say that it is unlikely to get HIV from safer sex such as mutual masturbation, and receiving oral sex, and other acts. However, most sexually active people engage in other more risky behavior. How would the experts determine if a "risky" act contributed to someone acquiring the virus as opposed to a "safer" risky act?

What im trying to say is, if someone engaged in mutual masturbation and then protected vaginal sex, and got the virus, experts would say that the condom was ineffective and the "safer" sex (masturbation) was not the cause. How are they certain?

Confused

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Safer Sex? new
      #40382 - 09/19/02 09:57 AM

that is a good question and leads to much anxiety. basically from what i have found is that lots of people with or without HIV have and do participate in such activities such as mutual masterbation and other "safer sex" activities ONLY without the protected/unprotected intercourse to follow and no cases of transmission have resulted. but, it is all based upon what they know and statistics, unfortunately there can be some things they don't know because like you point out the same person has had other exposures which might have been more risky.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Doctor in the house? new
      #40384 - 09/19/02 10:01 AM

Any professionals have an opinion?

Extremely
Unregistered

Re: Doctor in the house? new
      #40425 - 09/19/02 10:10 PM

Good question. I suspect the risk factors have been established over the years by carefully comparing hiv positive people with people who are matched on certain characteristics but who are hiv negative. You can then tease apart the risk factors. Similarly careful interviewing of cases and examination of disease trends and patterns have contributed. I think the modes of transmission that contribute to hiv are well established. A small proportion of notified cases at first seem to have no risk factors but it almost always turns out than on further examination the same risk factors emerge.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Doctor in the house? new
      #40445 - 09/20/02 09:04 AM

So do you think that these risk factors have been identified with great certainty?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1432

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3