Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

rare
      #39995 - 09/13/02 09:21 PM

If you want info about hiv, then request info from your health units or aids hotlines. I did and recieved alot of info. Yes it can take up to 6 months, but it is extremely rare with the tests they have now tpo go undetected for that long. In the articles i recieved, 3 month testing was accurate, and in extremely rare circumstances, a 6 month test is required, if you take the 6 month and are neg. then you are negative. It reads that 10 years ago 2 delayed seroconversions where reported...note...10 years ago...that is a long time...request info and they will send it to you. Then you can rest assured by reading about it....they say 6 months to cover the small amount that may take that long...so a 6 month test would be the last one you need to take..if you feel you need it...but the hiv testing places need to say 6 months to cover there liabilities as well.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: rare new
      #39998 - 09/13/02 10:23 PM

I agree with you...information should come from a reliable source not people believing whatever they want. The American CDC is very conservitive and if they say 3-6 months it's solid. There is no need for everyone to jump of the high end believing that they are so special that the tests will not pick up infection. I've heard from health deptartments that it's very rare for someone to seroconvert after 6-8 weeks but just to be on the safe side to test at 12 weeks. To those that are not comfterable with their 3 month result take a 6 month test and just let this go.

Michael_in_NE

Reged: 09/11/02
      #40001 - 09/14/02 12:54 AM

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu/publications/book/ch2_1.html#hiv

new testing should detect 10-14 days, most people 3-4 weeks, all the clinics and hotlines say 6 weeks is a definitive time, 3 months should be conclusive

Anonymous
Unregistered

#40142 - 09/16/02 03:30 PM

The health department told me "off the record" and the state immunologist confirmed this, that they do not see any positives after 6 weeks, that the tests almost always pick these up before 2 months. 3 mos. is the gold standard, but lots of doctors will tell you that more than 90-95 are positive by 8 weeks. When I asked if 5% were positive after 8 weeks, the state lab guy said acutally its less than that and that its very rare to convert after 8 weeks. These guys had never seen it happen.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1494

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3