Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

To everyone-a note about window periods & symptoms
      #39320 - 09/03/02 10:32 PM

I've been on this board for over a year and I see the same topics debated over and over and over and- you get the point.

Window period is 90 days to 180 days- period. If you have a negative antibody test result at 90 days (do not bother taking one sooner unless you had a DEFINATE exposure and need a baseline because you will STILL need the 90 day and possibly 180 day test), chances are you will want another at 180 days unless you had a 3rd generation test and a PCR (which you most likely did not get in the US, especially if you used Home Access which requires 180 days to pass before their test is considered conclusive). You will still probably want 2 tests- yes, even if your result is negative- because you will wonder about lab errors and test mix-ups.

HIV is transmitted through blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and breastmilk. If someone spit on you (unless it was pure blood directly into your mucus membranes or open, bleeding wound) it is not an exposure. If you cut yourself on an environmental surface (not a used needle), it is not an exposure. If you get a lapdance, it is not an exposure. If you look sideways at a hooker, it is not an exposure.

Do not try to diagnose yourself and stop with the symptoms questions! ONLY an ANTIBODY test at least 90 days- not 66, not 88, not 25- after your LAST possible exposure is useful in determining your HIV status. 20 tests w/in the first 30 days are not useful. PCR tests alone are not conclusive.

Stop debating the window period- 25 days may be the average with SOME tests, but average does not mean most or all people and all tests are not equally sensitive, especially in the first 90 days.

Get tested after 90 days and possibly 180 days and be more careful next time. Oh- and stop searching the internet for different answers to the same old debates.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Simon
Unregistered

Re: To everyone-a note about window periods & symptoms new
      #39324 - 09/03/02 10:49 PM

Well intended but not completly accurate.
Also I doubt very much that people will stop posting questions just because you think it's a waste of their time (not yours) or a bother. Just how many questions did you ask in the year you have been on this board?
I am glad to see though that the debate can end now because you straightened it out for all of us. So we should test at 90 or 180 days, Well that clears it up for me.
Why the CDC and all the AIDS hotlines hadn't thought of this is beyond me but well done.

again well done
Simon

Anonymous
Unregistered

#39329 - 09/03/02 11:18 PM

the cdc says three months is conclusive unless you've had previous risks..her in ontario 3 months is conclusive and i have spoken to many people doctors,aids hotline, ontario misnistry of health and health units the only thing that is sometimes different is they say 14 weeks...the ministry said they have not had a case in ontario that did not seroconvert by 3 months...so a 6 month seroconversion is indeed rare don't you agree?
Just some input...don't hammer on me please
Tammy

tammy
All Star

Reged: 08/26/02
      #39332 - 09/03/02 11:23 PM

the cdc says three months is conclusive unless you've had previous risks..her in ontario 3 months is conclusive and i have spoken to many people doctors,aids hotline, ontario misnistry of health and health units the only thing that is sometimes different is they say 14 weeks...the ministry said they have not had a case in ontario that did not seroconvert by 3 months...so a 6 month seroconversion is indeed rare don't you agree?
Just some input...don't hammer on me please
Tammy

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: To everyone-a note about window periods & symp new
      #39336 - 09/03/02 11:33 PM

i've had 2 negative antibody tests at 130 days(got them done at different labs).
they were both 1st generation tests.

am i okay ?

should i still re-test at 180 days ?

-paul.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: To everyone-a note about window periods & symp new
      #39342 - 09/04/02 12:02 AM

you're done

Anonymous
Unregistered

even a few days short of 90? new
      #39345 - 09/04/02 12:15 AM

what difference can 84 vs 90 days make?
please explain.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#39351 - 09/04/02 06:08 AM

Agree with you Simon

The same questions will be posted again and again purely because of the nature of what people go through and how it is unlike anything else they've ever experienced. People who are affected are often the last ones to finally accept they are OK and I don't see that changing. How many times do you see someone post something like this attempting to clear things up and it's immediately followed by questions which suggest that the question asker has been totally unable to take in what has just been said and apply it to them! Human nature I suppose but it's good to get the message repeated from time to time.

Although if I was going through it again I don't know whether 90 or 180 days would apply for me. 90 should have done but I was one of the ones who went out to 180.

In the meantime the thing that this place does best is to have people who have gone through it staying around for a while as role models for others. Like you say, for all people are told to turn off their computers and trust their results, they only do that when they are ready and that's at different times for different people

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: even a few days short of 90? new
      #39353 - 09/04/02 07:37 AM

it is not the difference in 84 to 90 days that matters so much. Its like saying whats the difference then between 78 and 84, or 72 and 78, next thing you know people start getting tested at 72 and think it is consclusive. 13 weeks or more after exposure is conclusive

Anonymous
Unregistered

Why test at a few days short of 90? new
      #39359 - 09/04/02 09:20 AM

The CDC is clear on their reccommendations. 90 days is the MINIMUM. Why would anyone test at 84 days when you are supposed to test at 90. I would say follow the CDC guidelines. You do not know more than they do.

Anonymous
Unregistered

I would but that's me-n/m new
      #39360 - 09/04/02 09:21 AM

n/m

Anonymous
Unregistered

Rare but not unheard of new
      #39361 - 09/04/02 09:25 AM

so if you want 99.99999999% assurance, test at 180 days. If you are happy with 90 days, it's up to you. Most obssessed people like to test at 6 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

i asked because... new
      #39362 - 09/04/02 09:28 AM

dr kull said on a post that 12 weeks = 84 days is conclusive. so when i read 84 doesnt = the 90 or 12 weeks, i wrote to you. i tested at 84 becasue of what he wrote but i will test again way past the 180 mark just to make sure. i am female and it was neg
just a question

Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with this new
      #39363 - 09/04/02 09:31 AM

and I am tired of seeing the "looky at what links I've found on the internet saying that 25 days is conclusive" or "MY post ENDS the window period debate!" BS- Bottom line is: read the CDC's guidelines and follow them for testing and exposure risks. THEY are the experts and can be trusted not to give false information. SO what if YOU think that they're conservative. When you question groups like the CDC, remember that YOU are not the HIV expert and they get PAID to do this. They might know a little more than the average person about AIDS/HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

84 days negative is a good sign
      #39364 - 09/04/02 09:33 AM

but I'd take the 6 month test to be sure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5306

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3