Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

home access & subtypes
      #39303 - 09/03/02 09:19 PM

Does anyone know if Home Access or Ehivtest can detect non-B subtypes? I have seen it both ways. Please help!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: home access & subtypes new
      #39308 - 09/03/02 09:45 PM

This is what I found about home access...anyone else agree??

Dr. Holodniy,

I wanted to share with you and the visitors to this website the following information I received from Home Access. As you are well aware Dr. Holodniy, there have been several questions posed to you inquiring about the sensitivity of today's ELISAs and their ability to detect all subtypes of HIV1. Curious myself I posed this same question to Home Access. Here is the feedback I received (Home Access responses in quotes):

1) What generation of ELISA does Home Access use? "Organon Vironostika HIV-1, used at the lab, is the first generation ELISA, which uses viral lyzates as antigen." 2) Who manufactures the test? "BioMeriux" 3) Have there been any modifications in the assay since it was FDA approved or is the company using the same testing system since initial FDA approval? "I guess you mean modifications since it was approved FDA for the first time as any changes thereafter should be approved by FDA too. Sure, and one of the last modifications was to make sure that group 0 is reliably detected." 4) I understand this test is for HIV1, but will it detect all clades or subtypes of HIV1 or just subtype B? Will your test detect HIV1 group O? "Organon Vironostika HIV-1 picks up all subtypes of group M and group 0. In addition, it picks up most of HIV-2 samples as well."

I must admit I was surprised by their response, especially the fact that their test covered Group O as well! Does this surprise you as well Dr. Holodniy? Are you familiar with the Organon Vironostika HIV-1 ELISA? In any event, if this information is 100 correct I think the worried well have much less to worry about now!

Anonymous
Unregistered

EHIVtest and Home Access are not the same thing new
      #39311 - 09/03/02 10:13 PM

HA is a dried blood sample drawn at home and EHIVtest is a regulaer lab test through Quest. Both are HIV-1 tests, but I know that HA is 1st generation, which must be done AFTER 6 months to be accurate. Just read their instructions. EHIVtest also says 6 months- check their website.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1064

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3