Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Late seroconversions
      #38700 - 08/23/02 10:41 AM

Hello out there

I see alot of paranoia about these so called "late seroconversions" Yes, Julio has had a string of posts (1998) that has obviously shaken everybody up. However let's use some reason here. If in fact he had gone to so many doctors and had in fact tested neg w/ all of the tests he claimed and then seroconverted after 13 months or whatever the hell he claims, don't you think it would be a well documented CDC case??

There is another )CDC Documented) case in one of the Body posts about a Health Care worker that seroconverted at 6 months in 1992. BUT!!!! What she does not tell us is how often she took the tests before she seroconverted. Now if one was to follow the CDC guidelines for testing after high risk exposure they would test at baseline, then follow up at 3 months and then again at 6 months. She states that she seroconverted at 6 months. In reality she propably seronverted somewhere between 3-6 months.

Bottom line is that there are so few late seroconversions that if proven true they are well documented and studied. It is very obvious that a negative test at the 5 to 6 month mark is very conclusive. As a matter of fact you RARELY hear of anyone taking longer than 3 months. So what's all the fuss about? If you sit back use some reasoning it will all fall into place.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Late seroconversions new
      #38702 - 08/23/02 11:16 AM

In other words......DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!!

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #38703 - 08/23/02 11:16 AM

I don't think there are any 'late' seroconversions anymore. The cases everyone brings up are years old. In the case of Julio, it was a hoax and not worth the time of day.

The case of the health care worker reported by the CDC, was in 1992. 10 YEARS AGO.

A lot on advances have been made in the testing and treatment since then.

Late Seroconversion today is not an issue. Discussion of cases that are years old only increases the anxiety of people needlessly.

It's important to keep in mind what the date of the information is that you are reading. It doesn't take long for information to become outdated.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#38706 - 08/23/02 12:22 PM

Between the so-called "late conversions" and the "window periods" once you test you must keep testing until you seroconvet. Think about it. Only a minority of the population actually tests anyways.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#38711 - 08/23/02 12:59 PM

Yes, the 6 month Health Care Worker seroconversion was 10 years ago, but the Elisa test used then (1st Gen Elisa) is still widely used in the USA by most Health Depts. and large labs. Yes they have been tweaked to catch different strains and are more sensative than the ones used in 1992. The point I was trying to make is that even though that person says they seroconverted at 6 months, they propably converted much earlier than that. They simply did not test every month until the 6 month period.

Regardless, it has been proven over and over again that conversions past 3 months are RARE and after 5 to 6 months almost non-existant regardless of the type of test.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #38712 - 08/23/02 01:02 PM

Why in the world would you have to keep on testing until you seroconvert. For the people on this board that would mean testing the rest of their lives.

*AIDS*Realists
Unregistered

#38730 - 08/23/02 04:55 PM

Your right on actually. There appears to be deep desire for many to seroconvert here and its really common amoung those obbsessed with "HIV". Being negative only last for a while until another "exposure" is performed and then they are back on the testing "cycle" untill they finally test hiv particle positive then they can "realax" and go on the meds. Very few stop with one test it becomes an obbsession.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5666

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3