Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

the facts?
      #38692 - 08/23/02 08:27 AM

I just discovered and started reading the posts on this site yesterday and to say the least they are very reassuring compared to the health sites out there. Am I correct to understand that if you have unprotected sex with someone one time, weather you know they are positive or not, the chances of infections are 1 in 500? The flu like symptoms mentioned on these sites sound rather severe instead of something like a cold? The window of infection detection is at least 3 months? I see there are a lot of paraniod/compulsive obsessive like responses and I don't want to fall into that pattern of concern. I have had unprotected sex with a woman one time who I have no idea weather she is positive or not. I haven't been sick or even had a cold and its been over 5 1/2 weeks. I do have not a sore throat but an mildly irritated one and some diarrhea which is from my nerves I think. I am trying hard not to trip out but am concerned of course. I went to talk to my physician and got tested Wednesday so I am still waiting for the results from that. Of the persons who offer thier professional/experienced opinion, could you give me your views of what you think of my situation. I don't want to be paranoid or afraid to live my life, its hard enough without this to contend with. I will get tested again once I do hit the 3 month mark but how valid will the results be from this week? Thank you in advance...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: the facts? new
      #38698 - 08/23/02 10:07 AM

The 1 in 500 figure comes from a study that was done in Africa. The 1 in 500 is strictly a figure used if the other person is truly infected. If the other person isn't infected then of course the odds of transmission is zero.
I really do believe in the cases of most of the one time occurances on this board. That their partner isn't even HIV to begin with. The odds are much greater that the woman you were with is not infected than that she is.

That's right. A cold is not ARS. You seem to have an excellent handle on the fact your nerves can and do cause things to happen to your body. Don't spend a lot of time examining what your body is up to. You will worry about things that in the past you just shrugged away.

A 5.5 week negative will be a good sign. While not conclusive until 3 months (12 weeks) If a person was seroconverting at the time of the 5.5 week test, the results quite possibly would come back as indeterminate.

I think it's great that you don't want to become nuts about this. It's unfortunate, but the best way to maintain your sanity is to stay away from this board. I've seen a lot of people start of calmly, but after reading all the posts about nearly impossible things, they tend to become less convinced in their test results and more convince they are the one in a gazillion that should be a case study. Reading these posts is an interesting study in mass hysteria, how it develops and spreads.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#38701 - 08/23/02 11:12 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post. I do not want to become a victim of the mass hysteria I have witnessed on this board. It sounds as if to me I may be concerned over nothing at this point but I figure it is better to be safe than sorry and to know rather than not. If everything turns out fine I will have a greater appreciation for AIDS awareness and will also feel that an occasional booty call is not the way to go. I find myself gaining a greater respect for myself and others from this experience also so I guess some good will come out of this. If not, well, I am not sure how I will respond. I have my fingers crossed on my results next week and will definately retest again in Oct. I appreciate your common sense approach and support. Again, thank you.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #38705 - 08/23/02 12:09 PM

...and I like your common sense approach. You're correct. You probably don't have a thing to worry about, but knowing that for sure is always better than wondering.

I also like the fact you can look at all this and take something from the experience. Good things can always come from life's challanges. Even if it doesn't appear that way at the time. I've learned from mine how important it is to let the people in your life know you love them every single day. I have a greater appreciation of life. I stop more often to take a look around, mostly at the wonders of nature that surround us, that most times we barely notice.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#38716 - 08/23/02 01:57 PM

Well Ms. Blue, I have you to thank for my outlook. You're like the Dear Abby of this site. I was so incredibly shaken by the thought at first and the only thing that made me even suspect anything was the matter was the throat irritation and diarrhea. Other than that I feel fine. I wonder how many others have had false alarms. Those are the stories that need to be told and heard. Though I wouldn't throw caution to the wind being a hypocondriac about this is just as unhealthy as being positive. I anxiously await my results so that I can act accordingly and get on with this one shot deal we call life and living.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1486

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3