Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sore Throat
      #38454 - 08/19/02 03:32 PM

After two weeks possible exposure my boyfriend has a what his doctor says a very bad sore throat with swollen glands and he did a throat culture and he gets his results tomorrow.

I on the other hand am very scared because I was with someone who was HIV positive but he never told me and yes I always used protection and the condom never broke or leaked I got tested 4 times and the last one was at 15 weeks NEGATIVE...the counselor told me I don't need to get tested anymore and that that was ENOUGH he says I need to see a shrink about my anxiety and my obsession about HIV. I feel like I am going to be that rare case that seroconverted a week after or something I am ver scared and need advice..please someone respond I can't think straight at work.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
notanonymous
Grand Master

Reged: 04/19/02
Re: Sore Throat new
      #38459 - 08/19/02 04:27 PM

i had a sore throat for 2 months and i turned out negative. everyone says and i have found out the hard way that, symptoms don't mean jack, unless you feel like you got hit by a bus and can't get up. a sore throat is a very very common ailment and in one study i read on ARS, it was not a factor for causing alarm in regards to infection because although it can be a symptom, it usually had other causes. in other words, very non-specific.

i think you should reflect back on what the counselor told you. try to tame the irrational thoughts and think more logically. the counselor told you that you are negative.........wouldn't they know based on at least some if not a lot of experience? 15 weeks is almost certainly conlusive, but you already know that. don't you? which brings up the next question, how did the session(s) with the shrink go? did you give it a try? it doesn't mean you are crazy you know. if it didn't go well, try a different one. think logically, the odds you are a late converter are very very slim. go buy a lottery ticket, i bet you have about the same odds of winning as you do of having HIV. you are normal aren't you? no hepatitis, no organ transplants, no immune disorders? if no, then your test result is good and your boyfriend has a viral or bacterial infection. time and/or antibiotics will cure it. let us know the results of the culture. are you the one that was on here a few months ago? i remember someone that was with a HIV+ male that used protection and found out later that he was poz. was that you? if so, didn't you get a very good answer from one of the experts on here? maybe dr. bob? if not, forgive me, i am sorry. either way, i'm trying to give you some tough love. you are fine and you are not some special late-converter. when will you be at 6 months? take care and keep us posted.

prof egghead
Unregistered

#38466 - 08/19/02 05:30 PM

yes,good advice.yes,i agree you are neg. The Prof.
move on....try really hard.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#38502 - 08/20/02 08:37 AM

Thank you for you kind words of advice but its just that the whole experience was so traumatic and I find myself doubting everything even myself I don't trust anyone or anything for that matter. My doctor is mad at me she tells me I have to stop and then I look at the posts of all these people panicking and it makes me panick. I just feel very scared.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5075

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3