Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Discreet HIV Test -Any Good?
      #37893 - 08/06/02 08:36 AM

anyone know how good the discreet home test is? I recently ordered one from some place in canada and was wondering if it is accurate, how soon, etc? Test was neg, so hope it is as good as they say.
Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Better Safe
Unregistered

Re: Discreet HIV Test -Any Good? new
      #37895 - 08/06/02 09:05 AM

i don't know how good the discreet test is, but i do know that home access is the only test on the market that is FDA-approved, and that any other brand of home test is not recommended. i've had a lot of success with home access (meaning they are fast, reliable, helpful, etc.) so if you want to be sure i would say to shell out the $55 and use that one (or go to a clinic where it's free!). hope this is helpful.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37896 - 08/06/02 10:27 AM

Some of those 3 minute home tests have been under scrutiny for false negatives. I would not trust these results. Go w/ Home Access or just go to a clinic. If you don't want to wait 3to 4 days for results call 800-456-9913. This is Norton Medical out of California, they will send you to a local lab draw blood and you will have results the next day. the cost is around $60.00. Good Luck

Worried3
Unregistered

#37898 - 08/06/02 12:30 PM

That thing is not accurate at all. Read the fine print it event states it.

notanonymous
Regular

Reged: 04/19/02
      #37903 - 08/06/02 12:58 PM

hi there, i used the discreet test at about 10-11 weeks. the other poster is correct, it is not FDA approved and these types of tests have even been sued in the past for inaccurate results and claims in the US. so it is scary that they are in canada. they say that they can't get FDA approval because there is no way to report the results, even anonymous testing facilities still have to report positive results even if a name doesn't go with it as far as i know. i spoke with someone at discreet and they emailed me a copy of a study they did using their test vs. an abbott elisa test (FDA approved) on frozen serum samples. out of like 100 samples, the discreet test missed 2 positives that the abbott test picked up. so that is where they get their 95% or whatever percent numbers. i have tested since on standardized tests, negative also, so that doesn't really prove anything. it did give me some psychological relief until i got to 12 weeks for a approved elisa test. it goes back to that saying, "if it sounds to good to be true............." but, who knows?

i don't know how long it has been since your exposure, but take the good news, rejoice, and test again at a clinic, home access, or via an 800 # like the other poster said.

Always Safe
Unregistered

#37905 - 08/06/02 02:27 PM

The hiv test is garbage!

Terry_D
Unregistered

#37909 - 08/06/02 06:52 PM

considering the original so-called "hiv test" is not accurate at all....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37928 - 08/07/02 12:33 PM

yeah i wouldn't trust this test, either it has been known to give false negatives and false posititves,

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2033

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3