Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
notanonymous
Grand Master

Reged: 04/19/02
having a relapse, please help!!!!!!
      #37232 - 07/19/02 12:46 PM

i'm trying to be very strong. i feel so much better than i did a month or two ago. i can see light at the end of the tunnel, but i am having some negative thoughts. (pun may or may not apply). ok, i had a negative 3rd generation hiv 1/2 and pcr rna and antigen tests at roughly 12 weeks after possible exposure. all negative. i really don't think i could be so special to escape detection with all of those tests. but, like i said, i am second-guessing and need some reassurance i guess. i mean, i have seen that antigen and pcr tests are more meaningful within a few weeks of exposure, then your VL goes down. if neg on the pcr/antigen tests, would i have detectable antibodies yet? i feel like maybe i tested too late with the virus tests and possibly too early for the antibody test. is it possible or does it happen that people can be in a pickle of sorts in this scenario. like a few weeks between the two types of tests where nothing would be found? i try to come back on this site to sometimes help and encourage others, keep in touch with and up-to-date on what is happening to others in the same situation and sometimes i start wigging again. probably would even if i didn't come here because of the "symptoms" although they are not as severe as before,which is scary in a way too. thanks all!!!!!!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: having a relapse, please help!!!!!! new
      #37233 - 07/19/02 01:52 PM

i tested negative at exactly 3 months and i believe the results. if i am neg at 3 months then you are as well. i will test again at 3 months like everyone says to just to be safe, but i beleive the cdc and dr kull when they say a neg result at 3 months with an antibody test is conclusive.
if you are neg at 3 months, then you are neg period!

Anonymous
Unregistered

to above anonymous new
      #37237 - 07/19/02 03:26 PM

the cdc does not say three months is conclusive. they say three months is a good indicator, but six months is conclusive. i'm just saying this as an fyi so you have the correct information. but i think you and notanonymous are negative!

notanonymous
Grand Master

Reged: 04/19/02
to: above anonymous/below other anonymous :) new
      #37240 - 07/19/02 04:24 PM

thanks and i hope you are right about us both being neg. i think we are. but, actually the cdc does not say it is a "good indicator". this is what they say:

The tests commonly used to detect HIV infection actually look for antibodies produced by your body to fight HIV. Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 3 months after infection, the average being 25 days. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months.

notice the key words: AVERAGE being 25 days, MOST within 3 months, RARE CASES....6 months. and i think the rare cases would also include persons with hepatitis co-infection, persons with immune disorders, and possibly persons taking PEP, but maybe not. the cdc is conservative, goverment operated, bogged with red tape, covering home access users and labs that might still use first generation technology, and covering people that don't know exactly when they were last exposed, such as drug users and people with multiple sex partners. ryan kull and the GMHC say 3 months and other countries say 3 months and even trying to get it lowered. i know that it is hard to track as there are TONS more people that think they have it and don't, than people that actually do test positive, but with the volume of people that frequent this site and the GHMC, i think they would have been burned more than i few times if 3 months didn't pretty much "seal the deal". ok, good, i reassured myself! lol. thanks and everyone keep on hanging in there.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re:CDC correction new
      #37241 - 07/19/02 04:27 PM

actually the cdc does say that 3 months is conclusive UNLESS you had a definite exposure (unprotected sex with someone of HIV+ status) or an already compromised immune system.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re:CDC confliction new
      #37242 - 07/19/02 05:24 PM

how can 3 months NOT be conclusive if you had a DEFINITE EXPOSURE, sex with a hiv+ individual, but be conclusive if you don't know if you were exposed????? i guess it is based on statistics and the probability that one was probably not exposed since the amount of sexually active infected persons is relatively low by comparison to the rest of the population. but, if the person one was with is positive, whether they know it or not, how do you know? most people don't. if i knew if the people i messed with weren't positive, i just wouldn't be worried. sounds like some fuzzy math. confucious say, positive + negative=longer than 3 months, X + negative=3 months!?!?!? well, if we don't know X, then how in the hell is 3 months conclusive? anybody get what i'm saying or have any comments? please!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37244 - 07/19/02 06:45 PM

25 days is average

Anonymous #2
Unregistered

Re: to: above anonymous/below other anonymous :) new
      #37245 - 07/19/02 07:15 PM

interesting, that's not what the cdc hotline operator told me. her exact words were what stated before. i wonder why the website is contradicting what they are saying over the telephone.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37247 - 07/19/02 09:14 PM

the people that answer the hotline at the CDC are not doctors. Ask any doctor what the window period is and almost all will say 6-12 weeks.

Anonymous #2
Unregistered

#37255 - 07/20/02 06:05 PM

what does that matter if they are not doctors? they are told by the CDC and the CDC's doctors what answers to give.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37258 - 07/20/02 07:35 PM

No, the CDC's experts have revised the testing window that is posted on the CDC website. When you call the CDC, keep in mind that you are not the only one calling. They do get calls from people who do not remember the exact date of their exposure.

In New York there are testing clinics all over the city. Depending on where you go the window period varies. A friend of mine works for the GMHC and according to him clinics that are located where a majority of drug users live, recommend window period is 6 months. Downtown Manhattan all clinics say that 3 months is conclusive.

confused
Unregistered

Re: having a relapse, please help!!!!!! new
      #37263 - 07/20/02 09:21 PM

Hey buddy i wish i could help ya ,but im having a relapse myself,now along with my wifes dermatis and arm pains now her fingers are going numb,im real starting to freak now i want to tell her but don't want to destroy my family if i don't have an std ,i don't know what the f..k to do.

Greeneyes
Unregistered

#37267 - 07/21/02 12:03 AM

AVERAGE. The actual range used to compute that average, if I remember what I read correctly, is 9-41 days. Add together, divide by 2, you get 25. So don't just assume at 25 days the test is conclusive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re:CDC Lies new
      #37293 - 07/21/02 07:29 PM

The CDC seems to be always "ajusting" their igures and including more diseases as "hiv related".

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3221

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3