Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suggested Readin:IDEAS, COM. Jackie, GMan?? ???
      #37080 - 07/14/02 11:47 AM

Here is a site I found interesting: http://www.aegis.com/news/re/1998/RE981203.html
Jackie, GMan, and others that are knowledgeable, what are your ideas and opinion on this? Many tests including Home Access HAVE NOT been improved since this was written. I believe this may explain many questions and testing negative via Home Access. I had a high risk exposure and thought for certain, I was going and had been through ARS due to all the symptoms. Tested negative via Home Access at six months. The thing that really gets me, over a year now and the swollen nodes remain, i.e., behing the knees, below the ears, under arm, etc., some of these being golf ball size. Medically I have been through others tests and every other possibility, i.e., cancer, etc. has been ruled out. I had a CBC and a urine test. The urine test showed an abnormal (excessively high) amount of protein, though it was not analayzed as to what specifically it was. Upon the initial visit I asked the doctor & he thought possibly HIV, but ruled it out ONLY because of my testing via Home Access. The Dr. is just a GP and not knowledgeable regarding HIV. When I mentioned I tested via Home Access his response was, what's that?.

I know my body and with all this I find it hard to believe in the negative test results. While I realize stress may play a part regarding some symptoms, stress does not cause swelling of the lymph nodes. I welcome and appreciate any (non sarcastic) ideas, comments, suggestions you and others may have. What is your opinion on all this?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Suggested Readin:IDEAS, COM. Jackie, GMan?? ??? new
      #37081 - 07/14/02 03:10 PM

ask for a biopsy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37083 - 07/14/02 03:32 PM

a couple of months ago this article had been mentioned on the board, if by any chance HIV was not detected in the blood test you can bet that not only would FDA, CDC and not to mention to hundreds of HIV organizations would be all over this. And of course the media would love to get their hands on something like that.

So rest assured that your 6 month HIV test was accurate.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37085 - 07/14/02 05:13 PM

You keep posting the same information about your experience over and over again. Clearly you are obsessed with your HIV status, but for some strange reason, you don't muster up the courage to go in and re-test using a more recent HIV antibody test. Go into a clinic in your community, or ask your Doctor for an HIV-1/2 test, and get it over with.

Posting on this board over and over again won't resolve this for you. Just re-test; you'll be negative; then you can hopefully get on with your life.

Just do it. Nobody reading this board can do it for you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37087 - 07/14/02 08:25 PM

FYI...I have not posted before, but thank you just the same!

Worried_well
Unregistered

#37088 - 07/14/02 09:01 PM

Ok, so what you are saying is that the tests that are made specifically are no good, because you know your body. Don't think that because you looked at a couple of web sites, that you are an expert on hiv. You are one of the worried well. I have been thru it, a lot of others have too. We dont believe the professionals or the tests because we know we have hiv. Well let me tell you something. Start looking for something else to worry about and not your health. If you keep feeling your lymph nodes, they are going to swell. I you keep thinking you have hiv, you are going to have symptoms, not from hiv, but from worrying about hiv. Believe your test if it was 3 months or more after possible exposure. Also, look at the risk , if there was not exchange of semen or blood, the risk is very low. However, no web site can diagnose hiv infection, no matter how much you wish it could. So, be a man(or a woman) and get tested after 3 months, if negative, you dont have hiv, period. Stop worrying so much, your problem lies in your mind, not your bloodstream. Life is too great to spend so much time worrying about something you dont even have.

Good Luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37098 - 07/15/02 01:15 PM

Please note that Home Access has been through rigourous testing before they were approved by the FDA. Part of that testing was for accuracy by using known HIV+ blood samples on their test. All were detected. The 1st Generation tests mainly detect the Igg atibody which is produced by the body by 3 months or so and remains with one until the later stages of AIDS. The 3rd Generation Elisa's can detect the Igm and IGg antibody the Igm is produced earlier during infection, but dissapeares shortly after. That's one reason the 3rd Generation can detect infections earlier.

However the according to studies the 1st generation will detect MOST between 6 to 12 weeks after infection. Keep in mind that as early as 1989 clinicians realized that most seroconversions were complete by 12 weeks, and most if not all labs at that time used 1st Generation (viral Lyzate)Elisa tests. PCR/DNA and did not exist or was in it's infant/testing stages and the 2nd Generation tests were very new and not widely used.

Bottom line is that if you test neg at 12 weeks REGARDLESS of the type of test you are most likely negative. If you test neg at or around 6 months you are negative PERIOD.

To ease your mind get another test done, I bet you are still NEGATIVE.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #37122 - 07/16/02 12:08 AM

if the tests were not accurate the FDA would be all over them along with testing centers all over the place. I have read most all of the AEGIS site, I just hapen to be there also for the last 11 years. I had found them before I found The Body.
Do me a favor and quit trying to convince yourself that you are positive and belive the tests. You don't want to be positive, belive me.

The G-Man

T.i.a.d./WWdmn

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37186 - 07/18/02 02:20 AM

Thank you for the reply, which albeit I found very thorough, the symptoms correspond with the time frame of ARS. Combined with this, the swollen nodes, and the other tests I have had done to rule out anything else, I just find it difficult to believe the negative result. I will get another test. Your reply was greatly appreciated. Thank you again and best of luck to you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#37188 - 07/18/02 02:27 AM

Thank you for your response. I don't want to be HIV positive, but something is going on. I just posted a reply to another person today regarding this same post and it states some reasons for my disbelief in the test. Thank you again and best of luck.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1965

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3