Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question for Dr Ryan: Opportunistic Infections
      #36804 - 07/05/02 06:31 PM

Hello Dr Ryan,
Thanks for taking some time to help us out in this forum. I sincerely appreciate it. After a high risk activity 2 years ago, followed by a very sick period with symptoms simliar to flu/mono 3-4 weeks later, I was convinced I had contracted HIV. However, I have had 7 different HIV-1 antibody tests since then, (most recent with test kit from Genetic Systems (Bio-Rad) in January 2002), and all were negative. I also had HIV RNA ultra-sensitive viral load at 7 weeks (undetectable), and also DNA PCR done 2 weeks ago (undetectable). Tested for HIV-1/2 in April (Quest Labs)and that was negative. My problem is that 3 different Doctors have visually diagnosed me over the past few weeks as having oral hairy leukoplakia now, and I'm terrified that somehow these antibody tests may have missed a rare strain (sub-type O, or other). My Doctor is sending me for a biopsy to try to figure out why I have these corrugated while patches on the side of my tongue. My most recent CD4 counts have been 1100 and 900, taken 6 weeks apart. Does this make any sense to you? In your experience, have you seen people with HIV-1 or 2 coming down with hairy leukoplakia within 2 years of infection, or having hairy leukoplakia with such good CD4 counts? I keep reading that most all antibody tests in the U.S. can pick up all strains of HIV, (although I see conflicting info on subtype O), so there remains the lingering doubt and stress. I have no idea if my partner had intimate contact with somebody from Cameroon, Africa during the course of their lifetime, (and now that partner is unreachable). Am I worrying myself needlessly? Seems like my chances of being infected with subtype O or subtype N (or other outlier) would be about the same as my chances of winning the lottery. Mainly, I'm looking for info on your experience with patients with hairy leukoplakia.... what their state of health was when they got it, if it indicated an advance state of immune system deterioration, or any other info. I'm really stressed out that if I really do have hairy leukoplakia, then all these tests missed the rare strain that I may have contracted. Thanks for any info or re-assurance. God bless!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Question for Dr Ryan: Opportunistic Infections new
      #36821 - 07/06/02 11:22 AM

ok,first of all calm down!....your negative,now i will explain why you are negative.
1.oral hairy leukoplakia,is a condition only seen in advanced hiv.(aids).the fact that you know how to spell it,
means you have been looking it up on the net etc.and just worrying yourself,for no reason.
2.your cd4 count is great,normal.
3.your pcr tests were neg.
4.any doctor in his correct mind,would say you are neg.
5.if oral hairy leukoplakia is confirmed,
you would be the first ever!with your cd4 count.
6.once again you r negative.......good luck,....
Dr ryan.

Anonymous
Unregistered

RE: NEW Question for Dr Ryan: OI's new
      #36833 - 07/06/02 03:07 PM

It was confirmed by three different doctors!, and in your opinion all of them are incorrect??? Then if the person is indeed negative, what in your opinion is the OHL (or something similiar) caused from? Stress? Does that cause lymph node swelling also? As in my case, I had SEVERAL symptoms starting, during what I believe was (seroconverting)during ARS. Test negative via Home Access at seven months, but the lymph node swelling remains today and it has been over one year now. Medically, other reasons i.e., cancer etc. have been ruled out. Had I of not tested negative via Home Access, my Dr. thought I should of been tested via his referral. Now the doctors do not have any idea what the problem is. I never had any other antibody testing done and in light of these facts, I do not believe the negative results. Opinion or comment please?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: RE: NEW Question for Dr Ryan: OI's new
      #36854 - 07/07/02 11:33 AM

I'm not a doctor, but just throwing in my two cents to the person with lymph node swelling. Why don't you just get tested again using another antibody test, to give yourself some peace of mind.

Go to ehivtest.com, and you can order a DNA PCR and antibody test, and then maybe you'll convince yourself that you're negative. Otherwise, you're just spinning around in circles. Just do it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1678

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3