Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
worried girl
Unregistered

risk?
      #3666 - 04/27/00 09:35 PM

Hi everyone!
i am a 20 yr old virgin, but i just got back from spring break in daytona, it was a little crazy and i did some really foolish things with a kid i met the first night. We ended up taking a shower together, and afterwards i gave him oral sex, but it didnt feel like he came (maybe pre-cum), we were both completely naked and he kept trying to have sex, but i told him no. For some idiodic reason i let our genitals touch over and over again, and a couple of times he stuck the tip of his penis in a bit, then he fingered me, although he wasnt fully entered, fluids may have touched. i dont want to be naive and think that just because he seemed nice and everything looked okay down there that everything is fine, so i am totally freaking out! a couple of days later i developed a sore throat, and had extreme hoarsness in my voice for for a couple of days. I was also drinking heavily every night of my spring break, more than i ever have in my life,which i heard can give you laryngitis and a sore throat, and i have sinus problems normally. it is a little over a week later and my throat is a little tender still.
i can barely sleep to think i did something so foolish! please someone tell me what they think....worried girl

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WebSupport
Unregistered

Re: risk? new
      #3669 - 04/28/00 03:52 AM

Worried:
Hope you are doing well, I know exactly how you feel! Take a deep breath and try not to over-stress. Foremost, don't try and diagnose yourself with physical symptoms....it doesn't work that way. I remember one spring break when I was laid up a month with all kinds of nasty crap (sinus/coughing/throat infection/blahblah). Heavy drinking for prolonged periods takes a bat to your immune system. If you are infected with HIV, there is no guarantee that you will present symptoms of ARS.

Regarding your situation:
Some of the newer studies out there are pointing to the fact that unprotected oral sex with someone infected with HIV is not without some risk. Oral sex is generally carries a lower risk than other high risk activities (unprotected vaginal/anal intercourse, sharing used needles, etc.). Regarding unprotected vaginal intercourse: while definitely a high risk activity, think of all the variables involved. 1. He may not have even been infected.
2. Possible exposure sounds like it was for really short periods and you may/may not have been exposed to fluid.
3. The more fluid you are exposed too and the longer you are exposed to that fluid, the greater the risk.

The best advise that I can give you is to be tested at 3 and 6 months. We have all been there (trust me, I had TONS more to be worried about than you and things turned out just fine). Next time your in Daytona bring a condom...or two...or three! If you have them around, it is easier to make the decision to practice safe sex.

Prayers are with you......
WebSupport

worried girl
Unregistered

#3676 - 04/28/00 10:39 AM

thank you web support,
i am trying not to worry so much, whats done is done, and i can only learn from the experience. i read on this website that symptoms of ads do not show up right away usually (my sore throat was after a couple of days and after about 2 nights of heavy drinking)and they do not show up as coughing and congestion, which i have. is that true? i also read that people with hiv produce excessive mucus (is that true?), which i have in my throat, that i thought may be due to the sore throat/congestion/sneezing thing i had. i also had not had alcohol for two months before i went to daytona, and i am normally not a heavy drinker.
my parents and friends are comforting me, telling me that my immune system just took a beating from the staying up till 7 in the morning, drinking all day and night lifestyle i put it through for a week! thank you for your replies, god bless you all, my prayers are with you = )

worried girl (trying not to!)

DUDE
Unregistered

#3692 - 04/29/00 10:09 PM

Hi "Worried Girl"
I think you should first realize we can make an assumption the guy is not HIV positive. Unless he told you he is HIV positive, you shouldn't make the assumption he is. Secondly, did you exchange phone #'s? If you're really stressed out give him a ring....chat 20 minutes and politely ask him about his past sexual experiences. It might relieve some stress.
It doesn't sound like you had high risk, just get yourself tested at 1,3, and six months. After six months it is over.
Best wishes, and get studying and finish college - Your parents are paying for it!
DUDE (5 weeks to the six month mark for me!)

worried girl
Unregistered

#3693 - 04/30/00 08:56 AM

Hi dude!
Thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated. Yes i do have his number, and called him just to ask him if he wanted his boxers or 13 dollars back which he left on the nightstand when he emptied his pockets! he was very nice, said to keep them and asked me when i was coming down again. he also gave me his email address (without me asking), and said if my friends and i come down there to not even think of getting a hotel, but to stay with him. i didnt have it in me at the time to bring up hiv and stds, figuring i would write it in an email. i am just worried if he was infected he may not know it, he seemed so smooth, kinda like a player. i even had dreams last night that i was hiv positive, i woke up almost in tears it was so scary, especially to think one foolish night could change your life. i am just trying to be optimistic, and think that maybe he doesnt have it, and i am at low risk, because we didnt actually have sex...but then i start to worry again! Good luck, and congratulations on your 5 months! God bless you and everyone else, prayers are with you all.

less-worrying girl

ResidentMD
Unregistered

#3701 - 04/30/00 03:12 PM

The initial infection seen in HIV serconversion usually consists of lymphadenopathy(swollen glands), skin rashes, fever, fatigue, malaise and other mononucleosis-like symptoms. It usually lasts 4-10 days as well. But if you are still worried get tested for peice of mind.
TJB, MD

Anonymous
Unregistered

#3741 - 05/02/00 09:46 PM

Its so nice to have a doctor around here. What do you think about the 3-6 window period?
And, can someone being hiv infected without having ARS days or months within the infection or without having swollen lymph nodes in all the body also days or months within the infection, so that someone can say that if he doesnt have any swollen lymph nodes nor do he have had any ARS that he is negative? Thank you very much.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2424

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3