Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm Scared, What Should I Do?
      #36486 - 06/28/02 07:51 PM

I had sex with a prostitute 2 weeks ago. She had a condom, so I thought I'd be safe. But before she put it on me she went down on me with her mouth for a couple of minutes. Then she put the condom on me, and we had sex. I didn't think much about it that night, but I've gotten really scared since. For the past week I've been having pain in my arms, in my neck, throat and groin, it comes and goes and makes me worry more. I can hardly sleep. How much risk am I in? What should I do?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ex_Male_Slut
Fanatic

Reged: 11/02/00
Re: I'm Scared, What Should I Do? new
      #36490 - 06/28/02 09:37 PM

Most likely you are getting symptoms from your own anxiety. The risk of infection would be very low even if she was HIV+ and would only be significant if she was bleeding from the mouth / gums.

Still it is not a good idea to receive oral from a person of unknown back-ground with-out a condom for other reasons, herpes for example is easily spread this way.

Get tested for all STD's (including HIV) now and in 3 months time anyway, your risk is low though.

Regards
EMS

TerryD
Unregistered

#36492 - 06/28/02 11:21 PM

Your risk = 0 RELAX ITS JUST GOOD OLD SEX! Heterosexuals don't get AIDS unless you get sucked into taking the flawed "hiv test".

TerryD
Unregistered

#36493 - 06/28/02 11:22 PM

So your an ex slut? What are you now a reborn christian o the church of HIV!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#36496 - 06/29/02 01:11 AM

Hey no sweat, your risk is so low you will not get HiV. If you feel anxious take a test at 3 months it will be neg and you will rejoice. Oh, don't listen to that MORON that calls HIV tests flawed, they are very accurate if they are done 3 months after exposure. Good Luck Mr. Negative

Kalkin!
Unregistered

#36514 - 06/30/02 01:06 PM

Hi! Let me clarify this a bit further to you.

1) Terry D is one of those people that deny the existence of heterosexual AIDS. He belongs to a group of (anti-) scientific renegades that claim, among other things, that HIV does not cause AIDS. If I were you, I wouldn't listen to him. These people defy conventional science.

2) Some other people have replied to you that your risk is low. In fact it is not. It is, practically, non-existent. Here (in the UK) you would never be told to get a test based on your encounter. You cannot get HIV by receiving oral sex from a woman (i.e. by letting her go down on you). Whether she is bleeding or not, there is not a single documented case of transmission occurring in this manner. Saliva does contain HIV, although 90% of it is in neutralized form (harmless) and in each case the amount is non-infectious, so it simply can't cause an infection.

3) Oral sex does pose some risk, although experts agree that it is very low, much lower than vaginal and anal. All this said, we are talking about GIVING oral sex, not RECEIVING. You would be at some risk if you 'sucked off' a guy's penis without wearing a condom. However, this activity is low risk. As to cunnilingus, there are only two documented cases in history, and this epidemic is 20 years old. This has lead to some controversy. Some sources claim that cunnilingus is 'safe', others say that the risk is 'negligible', or 'extremely low'. If you call an AIDS helpline in the UK, or go to a health clinic, they will tell you that cunnilingus carries virtually no risk, and they do not advise their clients to have an HIV test if their sole exposure was cunnilingus on an HIV+ woman (or a woman likely to be HIV+).

All this extra information may help you in the future. It is really up to you, whether you want to take any risk, 'negligible risk' or 'extremely low' risk. Your activity was 100% safe. I would recommend you to read Ryan Kull's forum on Prevention and Transmission on this site. He states clearly that there is no risk in receiving oral sex from a woman or from a man. Some very low risk is involved when you fellatio a man (suck his penis) and extremely low (negligible) risk is involved when you perform cunnilingus (go down) on a woman.

As to anilingus (sucking/licking the anus), there doesn't seem to be any risk. There is one documented case of transmission (certainly to a person doing the licking), but the circumstances of that case are quite gross and involved extensive bleeding from the anus.

All this said, unprotected oral sex remains common practice, and very few transmissions have been attributed to it in serodiscordant couples (one partner HIV+, the other HIV-).

I would be careful on these forums. Some of the replies come from dubious sources, e.g. Terry D. It would be much better if you spent some time educating yourself reading the answers of the experts (they are by far more reliable!) and ensuring that your risk was 0.

Take care.

Paul

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I think this is true! new
      #36525 - 07/01/02 01:20 AM

I'm gay and I have not seen much AIDS in straights in the US compared to lets say Africa so I think TerryD is right when it comes to the US that straights just don't really get AIDS.

confused
Unregistered

Re: I think this is true! new
      #36545 - 07/01/02 01:22 PM

One of my best friends died of aids 3 yesr ago and he was as straight as a arrow,believe it

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1678

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3