Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Extremelyunlucky
Unregistered

HIV DNA reliability
      #36326 - 06/24/02 11:27 PM

Without wanting to alarm, it should be noted that HIV DNA testing is not 100% reliable. It may be worth checking with the lab to enquire what primers they used, particularly if you are worried about a non subtype B infection. I tested negative at 9 weeks by hiv dna yet I know will be positive by elisa and am a good case in point. See below.

"It has been reported that commercial qualitative HIV proviral DNA tests may not detect all genetic subtypes of HIV. One study reports that although100% of subtype B (n=16), G (n=9) and D (n=1)were detected, variable sensitivities weredescribed for other subtypes 83% for A (n=41),98% for C (n=43) and 0% subtype F (n=2). The same study reported that with the addition of the modified primer set SK145/SKCC1B improved detection was seen. Two samples (subtype C and subtype E ) remained undetectable (4).We report a single case of a patient who was infected with a virus likely to be subtype E, the prevalent strain in cases of heterosexual transmission in Thailand. These data support the use of HIV DNA PCR tests only as a secondline supplemental test to licensed standard HIV diagnostic testing strategies

Reference:

http://www.nrl.gov.au/dir185/nrl-pub.nsf/Images/n&r01-July.pdf/$FILE/n&r01-July.pdf

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
une_fille
All Star

Reged: 03/28/02
Re: HIV DNA reliability new
      #36339 - 06/25/02 11:28 AM

"I tested negative at 9 weeks by hiv dna yet I know will be positive by elisa and am a good case in point."

hey extremelyunlucky, i'll believe it when i see it!! i had a negative dna pcr at about 7 weeks and i had a negative 3 month elisa. what makes you think you have hiv? have you had a 9-week elisa or are you waiting until 3 months? if you are negative at 3 months, will you believe it or will you stress until 6 months?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1907

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3