Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Board hog hater
Unregistered

Sick of the worried 6
      #36061 - 06/20/02 09:45 AM

Why don't the bunch of you whiny worried wells take all your symptoms and go to the CDC! I am quite sure they, unlike us, are very interested in studying you and hearing all about you latest ailment or how many times you farted last night or what color your crap was or if it was loose and/or bloody.
Stop taking up this board with all your worried well crap and move on to a sight that can handle you but NOT an am I infected with HIV site because according to your test you are not.
This use to be a great info site but now all it seems to be providing is a sounding board for a bunch of nutjobs. All of your symptoms can be attributed to stress, depression, obsession, guilt and just being scared! I could understand to a point but you are all out of control and feeding off of each other.

Remember "a brave man dies but once while a coward dies a thousand times over".

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DITTO
Unregistered

Re: What Ryan says about the sick 6 new
      #36065 - 06/20/02 10:09 AM

Six on board need help Thank You
Posted: Jun 14, 2002

Dear Ryan: I am one of six individuals on the Am I infected board that all have similair symptoms and need help. We have been trying to figure out an answer on the board , by testing and via reseach, rather than bombarding you with the questions. But we have come to a dead end, so could you please help. Reguarding post on 6/12/02 There are about six of us with the following symptoms and negative tests at various stages. Weight loss, Fatigue, pain in lymph nodes, burning tongue, white patches on tounge and cheeks, sore throat, numbness and tingling in hands and feet a few are complaining about hands actually going like rubber, headaches, skin infections. mouth ulcers, petechaie, pain in abdomen area and more. We really need some advice could you help us please

If you all have been tested at least three months after your last exposure (and had repeated/alternate testing if you had a definite exposure to an HIV infected person), there is nothing more that I can say except see your doctor. If your doctor cannot provide an explanation and HIV does not seem to be the issue, I really suggest that you consider talking with a mental health professional about your symptoms and anxiety.

It sounds like you are all convinced that you have HIV. That probably means you don't want to hear me say that you don't and that this may have psychological causes. However, I strongly believe that ones psychological state can have powerful effects on both emotional and physical well-being

Anonymous
Unregistered

Apparently it's 11 now new
      #36066 - 06/20/02 10:29 AM

Or probably closer to 80 or 90 if you include everyone from the past, me included, who used to be worried well until they finally realised it's not HIV and it's not some new virus.

The difference is that the current group have given themselves an identity and as you say there is a big danger you are all out of control and feeding off of each other. See, even I'm calling them "they".

I think it's called confirmation bias in psychology. You pay too much attention to evidence that confirms your fears and too little to evidence which doesn't.

There's benefits to being together like that but there's also big dangers. But I'm sure they'll all come through in the end.

Unlucky
Unregistered

Re: Sick of the worried 6 new
      #36067 - 06/20/02 10:30 AM

Don't know if you remember
But about 20 years ago I remember reading a cover story on Time or People or another major publication about Aids and this homosexual male stewardess that they called The Typhoid Mary of Aids
By the time he was diagnosed with Aids he had had KS, so obviously he had it for a while.
My point being that we are all sick and feeling bad, and I guess were worried that there is a new strain out there undetectable, by the tests available today, or there is something else out there that hasn't been discovered yet.
History will show that Aids was around many years before anyone knew what it was.
I've researched this board and I will admitt there have been some really off the wall scared people, that have made fools of themselves.
And Im sure after they found out they were negative they didn't care to much as they were so happy to be wrong about their fears, being a wacko was OK.
But what I get from the 6-12 that are currently on this board is different.
The group seems to be very level headed educated individuals, in very similiar circumstances with almost exact symptoms, all indicative of HIV
Also interesting no one has anything that the others don't
No totally off the wall symptom
Its just too much of a coincidence
But you did raise one good idea
We really need to get on the phone and start calling our local health departments and see if they are getting any individuals complaining of multiple similiar symptoms and testing negative.
Im sure if there is a new strain out there, or something else, it cant be isolated to just a dozen or so people on this board.
As far as this board, I hope that you and individuals like yourself who feel the way you do will bear with us.
We need each other right now, and the fact is by having as many people, with the same symptoms, with neg tests. If wee all turn out to be negative, it will really send a message and for that matter documentthat in fact stress can cause all these symptoms.
If so someone better re-write the book on stress cause I havn't seen alot of the symptoms were experiencing listed on any stress sites.
Yes, I know there have been others before with similiar stories, but never a whole group of people at the same time.
Make the Call everyone, local health depts, CDC, See what we can find out
Good Luck
Unlucky

Anonymous
Unregistered

#36069 - 06/20/02 10:36 AM

if you have no symptoms and you are not worried, then why are you on this site? people come here for support, if you need support then you have to give it back. don't be selfish.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#36072 - 06/20/02 10:57 AM

I had the same symptoms as well and guess what it took a while but after a couple of negative tests and some therapy the tingles and diarea and all just seemed to slowly stop.

notanonymous
Regular

Reged: 04/19/02
Re: board hog hater new
      #36073 - 06/20/02 10:57 AM

hello hater, i don't know if you usually post under anonymous or another name, but what is your story and what do you have to offer? or, what is it that you need or want other than to complain? we all need some kind of support in some way or another or we wouldn't be here. if that is not the case, then YOU may be in the wrong place yourself. i have been included in the "wack-pack" club only because my symptoms are similar. i am still technically in the window period. my last elisa was negative at minimum of 10 weeks since exposure, could be 12 weeks, but i will be conservative since i don't know for sure.

anyways, who are you and what is your point? you don't like board hogs!?!?!? so what! i don't like feeling sick.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#36074 - 06/20/02 11:18 AM

I second that. I don't want to feel sick either. Certainly didn't ask for it. Hey don't worry if you tested negative at 10 weeks you are negative, but part of the Wacko Club. Talk to you soon: Another Whacko from the Loony Bin

KitG
Regular

Reged: 01/15/01
      #36076 - 06/20/02 11:42 AM

I think I should point out that there is nothing significantly different about your stories compared with mine and countless others here. Apart from the fact that you have by pure coincidence, nothing more, come together at one time and then identified yourself as a group. When in fact, me and lots of others here have gone down the same route of identifying others in the same position, rejecting the medical opinions or test results, and worrying about some undetectable strain or new virus. When I first came here I had about six people immediately replying either on the Board or private, saying they were going through exactly the same thing. So I don't think there's anything new about the current situation.

If you research this Board and the Expert boards thoroughly you will find such stories from the very beginning of these web sites. Meaning that people have always been coming to the same conclusions, literally for years. And no brand new virus. I think it's almost inevitable for some people to come to the new strain/new virus conclusion, but I've yet to see it be proved correct. It's a shame The Body doesn't open a file of people's personal stories from this Board, so new people can see for themselves.

Your most telling point of all is "I'm sure if there is a new strain out there, or something else, it can't be isolated to just a dozen or so people on this board." EXACTLY! It would be EVERYWHERE! Especially considering some of the low risks (and therefore ease of transmission which would be involved).

Sorry but I go for the stress explanation. I think the problem people have with accepting the stress explanation is because they have a limited understanding of what stress really is and just what it can do. If you research enough, you'll see EVERY one of the symptoms you're experiencing can be attributed to stress or some stress-related reaction. You might not find them all on WebMD, but stress can affect every organ and system in the body. Especially this sort of chronic, severe stress we suffer during HIV fear.

I've seen nothing whatsoever in the current stories that goes against what I've written before about why I think this all happens and what the real cause is. But hey, maybe I'm one of the off the wall wackos rather than the current group of very level headed educated individuals!

Confused
Unregistered

#36081 - 06/20/02 12:13 PM

Well i hope your right,believe me i don't enjoy this,your right about stress,but i don't think stress can swell lymph nodes,My salivary gland is about the size of a walnut and been like that for 7 months,and one other point i wasn't stressed at all till i started to show symptoms,anyhow one of us will find out whats going on soon and then we'll be great help to others,so till then if are post bother you don't read them.

notanonymous
Regular

Reged: 04/19/02
      #36110 - 06/20/02 02:34 PM

thanks for taking the time to post kit. your thoughts are comforting to me and i'm sure others too!

BHH
Unregistered

#36111 - 06/20/02 02:50 PM

I've been around the block a few times and offer help to those that need it when I see fit. It is the utter lack of respect for the answers provided for by myself and others as well as your own Doctors and even Ryan Kull that gets me aggravated.
I will grant you the fact you don't feel well I am not disputing that but the fact that your little cligue is not taking any of the advice given except to turn it around and use it for your new strain theory is not only laughable but a disturbing waste of valuble space on this board.
Let's just say a newly concerned person comes to this board with similar symptoms all the info they see lately is your compounded misinformation and theories based on fear. Now they start doubting the results and the cycle continues. That is why it is now up to a group of 11 or so from just the original 1 or 2 people. As KitG said this has been going on forever and the same thing actually happened with other diseases including the Black plague, Legionaires disease and the Swine flu to name a few.
KitG was as screwed up as you guys were and with a bit of help was able to break through and get over it and so will you all. It will take time and it won't be easy but it will happen.
All I can offer is this: This is an Am I Infected sight, you guys are not infected. there are plenty of places you can discuss what exactly is wrong with you and you can believe whatever and whomever you want but you have gotten your answers on HIV and now it is time to move on. If you are the ones that will be on the cover of JAMA as poster children for some new disease then God help you.

Jamie
Unregistered

#36126 - 06/20/02 05:00 PM

I agree, I was here also before most of the six and it was the same for other people, even me. I am fine and it was due to stress. If you keep believing you are sick, you will be. Get on with your life. What dosen't kill you makes you stronger, right? Geeze enjoy life!! I feel that we have six hypochondiracs with lots more problems than meets the eye. There are people that are generally worried then there is obsession. Try being happy and forgetting about your pains and thank God for everyday. Living in fear of death is not living at all!

uhohblita
Regular

Reged: 05/02/02
my thoughts new
      #36164 - 06/20/02 11:29 PM

Some good posts here, Unlucky, KitG... and some bad ones...
I do know people who are hypochondriacs and worry about this pain or that pain and about getting cancers or tumors or what have you. Thats not me, or most of us. We have specific symptoms that bother us. Many similar to HIV. I do believe one of the terrible things about HIV is that any strain on your body may show as a stress on your immune system and therefore produce some of the same results. There have been some very good ideas thrown out here, Im not going to repeat them although they would be worth it. It could be one of many things, we may each have something different and real but the stress on the body creates similar symptoms. This being said and realized, I also think there is a distict possiblity that there are other, undiscovered things lurking out there. Hell the new Heps have only been named recently I think. If anyone thinks Im crazy, so be it. If anyone is wondering why myself or others are still on this board despite testing negative, I can explain again although Ive done so in the past. Also I think the naysayers to the worried 6 must not have experienced any symptoms or they would not be so disturbed. But for example Jamie has had symptoms and got over hers, Im so happy for her. BHH, you say that we are complaining about minor stuff, but then I go over to the Hopkins AIDS board and what do I read? People asking about getting liposuction and being fatigued yet these are real symptoms just because they are positive. Dont bring a double standard to this table. None of us want to be here to judge or be judged about what we are experiencing. And I think I speak for all of us when I say I would be happiest to never visit this board again, and be done with my baloney. But it just doesnt work that way.

-uhoh

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3764

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3