Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
notanonymous
Grand Master

Reged: 04/19/02
To geop and others re: quest labs
      #35898 - 06/18/02 10:38 AM

i did a search on the safe sex forum and found this post. maybe they still offer 1st generation too, i don't know. it might depend on who orders it and what is ordered. i am concerned too, i was told by the third party i ordered the test from it was a third gen. very important to me since my last neg was at 10 weeks minimum. i'll try to find out more. here is the post>

Hello Ryan. On 10-14-01, a person on this forum claimed that he (or she) was getting his blood tested for HIV over the course of 5 months by a Lab called Quest. He said his doctor called Quest Labs and learned that they were utilizing first generation ELISA tests.

I think there was a misunderstanding here between the doctor/patient or doctor/lab. So I went ahead and emailed Quest Labs with this concern including the 10-14-01 Q&A link. Here is the response I received:

Dear Mr. -------

Thank you for this very good question.

The statement that Quest Diagnostics performs only first generation HIV-1 antibody testing by ELISA is incorrect. Our laboratories use third generation ELISA methods to screen for HIV-1 antibodies and have been using them for years. These procedures detect antibodies against all subtypes of HIV-1 and have been cleared by the Federal Drug Adminstration (FDA) to screen blood donors because of their very high sensitivity.

Sensitivity of HIV-1 ELISA methods for antibodies to HIV-2 virus are variable. For that reason, Quest Diagnostics also offers an ELISA antibody screen that covers both HIV-1 and HIV-2 viruses, as well as a screening test for HIV-2 virus alone. HIV-2 is a relative rare in the US, but should be considered in areas with large immigrant populations and in people with history of travel to areas of high HIV-2 prevalence, such as Western Africa.

Quest Diagnostics offers the most extensive menu of laboratory tests related to HIV infection and AIDS. The technology in use is state of the art. For more information, please visit our web site at www.questdiagnostics.com.

Sincerely Yours,

Samuel B. Reichberg, M.D., Ph.D. Corporate Clinical Pathologist Quest Diagnostics One Malcolm Avenue Teterboro, NJ 07608

If the person who posted this concern on 10-14 sees this, I hope he or she is now feeling at ease about his results. It certainly made me feel more comfortable as I wouldn't think there'd be a reason why a state health lab would not follow the same strict procedures.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't using an outdated blood test be a flagrant quality control violation? I would think it would but please clarify. Thanks Ryan!

response from ryan>
Thank you for the update.

It's difficult for me to comment on communication between doctor and patient and to guess as to what happened in that situation. It is important for patients to talk with their doctors and clarify any information that seems unusual or questionable. And as demonstrated in your case, communicating directly with the lab was very productive.

Hopefully your message will prove useful to anyone concerned about antibody tests performed through Quest Diganostics.

RMK

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Testing/Q114272.html

funny i just noticed this is written by the same pathologist you spoke with. what gives!?!?!?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
notanonymous
Grand Master

Re: some things i found out. new
      #35900 - 06/18/02 11:00 AM

ok, well now i am responding to myself. i called the local quest lab center that drew my blood and they gave me the number for the quest testing facility that for my location is in atlanta, ga. they told me they have several hiv tests and they could not tell me what was administered unless i knew the doctors or company's account # that ordered it. so i call the company i ordered it from, specialized testing - a 1-800 # deal where you can give them any name and dob so it is anonymous testing no matter what your state regs are. so, they told me beyond the shadow of a doubt that i was given a third generation hiv-1 test. so, geop, maybe a first gen was ordered for you, i don't know. who ordered the test? even ryan kull says it is almost standard now to use 3rd generation, except home access of course. i emailed the infamous stephen fallon once and he said the same thing. i did this cause i was trying to find out what the health dept used for my 7 week test. he also said that all health depts. would use 3rd generation and most other facilities would also.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: To geop and others re: quest labs new
      #35901 - 06/18/02 11:07 AM

Yes I read the post also but got curious when I logged onto the Quest web site and noticed that they are affiliated w/ Home Access. My suspicions were that if they were affiliated they might also use the same test. I then called Specialized Testing who I ordered the test from and asked them what Quest uses. Of course they told me it was 3rd Generation and the company that manufactures the kit is Orangton Teknika HIV-1 (pardon the spelling) I called Home Access and lo and behold they use the same test.

I then called Quest headqurters and spoke to Dr. Reichart. He seemed a bit perplexed at first and was not familiar what the generation terminology meant. He said that they (medical field) did not normally use generation terminology. Anyway he checked w/ the kit manufacturer and found out that they use Viral Lyzates as their antigen. The significance of that is that Viral Lyzates were used w/ trhe 1st Generation Elisa not the third. The 3rd Generation uses Recombitent Antigens which basically is a laboratory produced antigen which makes the Elisa more sensitive.

To pu it bluntly Mr. Reichberg did not lie in his statement because Quest does use 3rd Generation Elisa's but NOT for their standard HIV-1 testing. In other words when you call these testing agencies and they refer you out to Quest the test will be done w/ a 1st Generation test.

Believe me I have done tons of research on this so I think I'm very accurate in my statements. As far as my situation I've had 3 negatives last one at 23 weeks but going for just did final 7+ months today. PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR ME.

I hope this helps you out. GEOP

Anonymous
Unregistered

#35903 - 06/18/02 11:16 AM

You better check and find out the kit manufacturer. I was also told by the testing agency that it was 3rd Generation but found out differently. Don't mean to scare you but we are talkiong about a matter of life and death here. Again I stress if the manufacturer of the kit that was used on you is Oragon Technika HIV-1 it is not 3rd generation technology. As far as most labs using 3rd generation tests I disagree. Their was an old post from this forum which was a quote from either a Quest lab tech or Home Access and they stated that most labs use this kit because a third generation kit costs more. I will try to relocate this post and give you the link. Again the key is for you to find out what kit they are using to test you. If it's an HIV 1/2 kit it's most likely 3rd Generation if it's a HIV-1 I assure you it's 1st Generation.

Good luck GEOP

notanonymous
Grand Master

#35915 - 06/18/02 12:55 PM

thanks alot for responding and sharing what you have found geop. i will pray for you, best of luck! i can't believe i was lied to about what type of test was used on me. that is great! the 7 week test used by the health dept. was organon teknika hiv-1 also. i called organon which was bought out by biomeirux (sp?) and they said they don't go by generation. someone a month back on here said they called and was told it was 2nd generation. wtf! i guess my 7 and 10 week negs don't mean as much as i thought they did. i was feeling better since other countries used 12 weeks as definitive with 3rd gen. this sucks!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#35920 - 06/18/02 01:25 PM

I'll let you know my outcome tommorow or when results return.
Good luck to both of us God be w/ us Geop

Anonymous
Unregistered

explain something to me... new
      #35948 - 06/18/02 10:10 PM

What is the difference in which generation a test is if it is taken at 3 months post exposure?? Home Access does use a first generation but it is still able to pick up antibodies as early as 6 weeks. So given the 3rd gen. picks them up at 3 weeks but everyone still needs to wait 3 months for a conclusive test. So why bother the labs as to which gen. a test is? Wait 3 months, take a test and trust your results.

geop

Reged: 06/16/02
Re: explain something to me... new
      #35952 - 06/18/02 11:06 PM

I don't deny that 1st generation tests pick up most everyone by 3 months, however I find it appalling that testing agencies are blatantly lying to people telling them they are using 3rd generation tests when in fact they are not and that 1 45 day neg is 97% conclusive blah, blah, blah. Quest never lied to me the agency that refered Quest to me did. They (Quest)told me flat out (after researching) that their initial test was utilyzing Viral Lyzates hence a 1st generation Elisa. It's the testing agencies that are screwing everyone up.

When I took my initial 8 week test I was told that it was a 3rd Generation when in fact it was not. I was overjoyed knowing that a 3rd generation is pretty much conclusive at 2 months. However due to lingering symptoms I did more research and found out I was lied to and took additional tests. Now imagine the infected person that does not have symptoms takes a 2 month test thinks it's conclusive and goes on to infect others.

This is a desease that is spreading like wildfire yet this country , the wealthiest country in the world could give a S&*t about it's citizens. Let's face it most still think (wrongly) HIV is a gay and druggy desease until their son's and daughters come down w/ it. Why is it that in most other countries it is practically illegal to administer 1st Generation tests. Why? because they want to stop this horrible epidemic and protect their citizens. In the USA it's only about $$$$ Heck since the 3rd Generation costs more let's use the cheaper 1st Generation even if it means more preventable infestation. Now don't get me wrong I am American and love my country like everyone else, but unless we the people rise up and do something about this health care system it's going to kill us all. Thanks for listening GEOP

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: To Geop new
      #35957 - 06/18/02 11:32 PM

About 15 years ago, my bestfriend and her family were in a pretty bad car accident. My bestfriend was 9 at the time and was injured worse than anyone. She was taken to the hospital and lost a lot of blood. She was given a blood transfusion and it turned out that the blood came from an HIV+ person. After her death I have done everything in my power to join the fight against AIDS. From volunteer work, to donations to marathons. You name it, I've done it. It is such a terrible virus and takes many innocent lives. I agree with you that our government isn't doing everything in their power to fight this but luckily there are many organizations that are.

I think if more people would contribute their time and money a cure may be sooner than expected. We can either sit here and complain about it or we can fight it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3167

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3