Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Amber5
Unregistered

Red Cross
      #35888 - 06/18/02 01:52 AM

Hey guys, i recently gave blood. Havent had any real recent risks for HIV or anything. Its been 4 weeks since i gave blood. If it came back that i had something would they have notified me by now? or is it not one of their priorities? thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

u {censored}! new
      #35890 - 06/18/02 04:21 AM

you selfish idiot!
you gave blood so as to test whether you are HIV infected?
i really seriously think that people like you should be caned and jailed...
and how nice this world will be without ppl like you!
why can't you put on your guts and just go take a test?
do you know that your blood will pass the test if the antibodies do not show up during the screening?
this is how 2 people in singapore got the HIV virus here, going for operation thinking they were safe, and little did they know they got the contaminated blood!!!
you really got on my nerves, a**hole and if i were to see you in person, you can be sure i will spit on your face, might even beat you coward up!!

une_fille
All Star

Reged: 03/28/02
Re: Red Cross new
      #35893 - 06/18/02 08:18 AM

to answer your question (the reason why you posted on this board and not to be belittled), yes, you would have been contacted by now if there had been something wrong with your sample. as soon as the red cross gets the sample, they use several methods of testing for hiv 1&2 (and also test for htlv 1&2). if something comes up positive or indeterminate, they test again. then they contact you even if the first test came out positive and the second came out negative. the whole process from collecting the sample to contacting you takes about 5-10 days. it is definitely a priority...they do not want you to donate again if you have something wrong.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: u {censored}! new
      #35894 - 06/18/02 09:59 AM

I didnt donate the blood to get tested for HIV. Just after reading all the Red Cross questions, i realized that ive never been tested for anything. Im not even at that big of risk anyways.

Amber5
Unregistered

#35896 - 06/18/02 10:07 AM

and by the way jerk, i havent had a so called risk for anything in over a year. so if i do have something, i dont think it wouldent be found.

notanonymous
Grand Master

Reged: 04/19/02
      #35897 - 06/18/02 10:10 AM

hello "anonymous", the person stated they didn't think they had any real risk involved. do you know how many people have never been tested at all, but still worry if there is that chance? people get nervous getting their blood tested for blood donations, surgery, insurance or whatever. you need to lay off. i think 2 people in singapore is hardly representative of what really happens. i don't see it in the news everyday that someone got infected from getting a blood transfusion. do you recommend everyone that has ever had sex go out and get a hiv test before they go to the red cross???? the person obviously had good blood since they haven't heard anything after 4 weeks (the question) and now that blood will help someone go on to live!!!! i'm sure there are tons of people that give blood to get tested, they just wouldn't admit it. don't get me wrong, i don't think that is kosher at all, but it does and will happen. guts or no guts, the result will be the same whether they find out from red cross or health department or a doctor.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#35921 - 06/18/02 01:26 PM

Giving blood is a selfless act and embodies the positive spirit of human nature. As long as the donor answers the pre-screening questions with 100% truth and accuracy there should be nothing to worry about. The testing mechanisms for HIV as well as other pathogens are excellent. Although I think we can all understand the rationale behind the anger/concern of the anonymous poster it is clear Amber5 did the right thing so lets cut her some slack. She was a low risk donor who hasn't had an exposure for 1 year. She easily falls outside of the window period.

Now to your question. After I donated blood for the 1st time it took the Red Cross about 1 month for them to send me my blood donor card, so you should hear back from them shortly.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Cut Amber5 some slack new
      #35922 - 06/18/02 01:27 PM

Giving blood is a selfless act and embodies the positive spirit of human nature. As long as the donor answers the pre-screening questions with 100% truth and accuracy there should be nothing to worry about. The testing mechanisms for HIV as well as other pathogens are excellent. Although I think we can all understand the rationale behind the anger/concern of the anonymous poster it is clear Amber5 did the right thing so lets cut her some slack. She was a low risk donor who hasn't had an exposure for 1 year. She easily falls outside of the window period.

Now to your question. After I donated blood for the 1st time it took the Red Cross about 1 month for them to send me my blood donor card, so you should hear back from them shortly.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1776

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3