Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
john in london
Unregistered

read this re 12months testing
      #35531 - 06/11/02 02:59 PM

Dr. Dieterich re please help
Posted: Feb 13, 2002

Dr Dieterich,

Thank you ever so much for your response to my question. As I mentioned in my last note I am HCV+ and tested HIV negative Elisa at 12 weeks. I followed your advice and my doctor ran a PCR. The RNA test had a sensitivity of 50-100,000ml that did not detect any virus. If I understood your last response I can now be comfortable that I am HIV negative. Please tell me I am correct?

Thank you very much for your help!

PS - your original response is below for reference:

There is no absolutely certain window period, everyone is different. The only way to be certain is to retest. Those are all with only reasonable medical certainty as we say in court. There are no absolutes in this field unfortunately.

Dr. Dieterich (the body)

ok,so whats he on about now then,now whos a tool!?,
these doctors are like snakes always bloody wriggling.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: read this re 12months testing new
      #35535 - 06/11/02 03:52 PM

Jackie and Gman,What is thinking on what Dr.Dieterich says,I respect your opinion on this.I have also read this before and was confused by this.Your reply would be apreciated.

Anonymous
Unregistered

This is WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!! new
      #35537 - 06/11/02 04:03 PM

and i was excited about my 7 week negative. 3 months=99%, up to 95% by 25 days............guess not!

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
6 mo new
      #35538 - 06/11/02 04:25 PM

From what all the profesionals, and the CDC says 6mo is it. If you are negitive at the 6mo test you are negative, "and thats a fact Jack."
If you want to obsess and keep testing because you think the little bump on your nose is AIDS, go ahead. But you are only going to keep getting a negitive test. If you want to do more research and learn everything you can about HIV & AIDS please do all you can. But please do not obsess about symptoms, most of you are at little or no risk. Read and learn about the the only ways you can become infected, and learn the stats. It might suprise you how hard it actualy is to become infected.

The G-Man

T.i.a.d.

Tule
Unregistered

Re: 12 WEEKS you toolmeister new
      #35541 - 06/11/02 05:19 PM

This guy tested at 12 WEEKS not 12 MONTHS. Plus he has hep C which can cause a delay in antibody production. The doctor tells him to get a PCR so he does and its negative, but then the Dr. tells him its still not 100% because nothing is 100% in medicine. He admits its just to cover his ass legally, as if he were in court. He tells the guy to keep retesting if he wants to be 100% sure. Whatever. He didn't need the PCR, he could hav taken another antibody test somewhere around 6 months. 12 months is rediculous, where did you get 12 months from? 12 WEEKS tool-holio!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#35543 - 06/11/02 06:46 PM

If hep c can delay antibody production,then the window period should be 12 MONTHS ,as im sure its not uncommon to be infected with hiv and hep c at the same time as alot of IV drug user's are infected with both.anyone have any thoughts on this.

Ano
Unregistered

#35547 - 06/11/02 07:35 PM

I think hep C coinfeciton extends the hiv window to 6 months, as the standard hiv window is 3 months. There's no reason to test out to 12 months except to prove to yourself that your earlier tests were accurate. You are probably not going to be that extremely rare person who seroconverts after 6 months. Yes it could happen, but you have better odds of winning the lottery, being struck by lightning, and being hit by a car simultaneously.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: This is WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!! new
      #35570 - 06/12/02 12:25 PM

No you're ok! Don't stress over this. Everyone has an opinion on the window period. Science says 25 days to 3 MONTHS! 6 months is rare.. 12 months is unheard of.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1870

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3