Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lab Corp What Generation
      #34723 - 05/23/02 05:54 PM

There is a laboratory called Lab Corp
They did the testing on a friends HIV Test EIA
Does anyone know if they use 3rd generation
Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried2002.
Unregistered

Re: Lab Corp What Generation new
      #34726 - 05/23/02 07:22 PM

"HIV antibodies using recombinant protein-based EIA with Western blot confirmation; HIV antigen"

this is a hiv ab test + p24 antigen, this is 3rd generation kit, the other tests are not specified but we can think they are 3rd gen.

reference
http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/body_h.htm

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Lab Corp What Generation new
      #34733 - 05/23/02 10:06 PM

LabCorp uses a 2nd generation standard EIA screening based on whole viral lysates. It is manufactured Organon Teknika. They supply the Vironostik HIV1 screening to most major labs including LabCOrp. I called them directly and spoke to several technicians and the test is 2nd generation, hope this helps. Their UniformII HIV1/2 is 3rd generation along with a 4th generation UniformII HIV1/2 with p24antigen sandwich assay. Hope this info is useful.
Chris T.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Lab Corp What Generation Back to Chris new
      #34739 - 05/24/02 11:35 AM

Chris thanks so much
I called the local lab but wasnt able to get as much info as you. A test was taken with a local testing center and I was able to find out thats where they sent it. So I guess she got the standard EIA so then that would have been 2nd generation. I know it wasnt a HIV 1 and 2 because the report only said EIA Hiv 1 no anti bodies found
However she still has symptoms including thrush and no antibotics taken.
I guess its good that it was 2nd instead of 3rd generation
but would have been happier to find out they used 3rd
Guess were concearned about rare subtypes
Did they say why they used 2nd generation. Do you know if 2nd generation will find most subtypes or give an indeterminite for HIV 2
Thanks Chris

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Lab Corp What Generation Back to Chris new
      #34774 - 05/25/02 11:07 AM

Hey the HIV1 stnadard EIA will indeed detect all group M infections A-I, however the further it strays away from subtype B detection is less likely. Group O and N infection might pose a problem with detection. However EIA tests are required to demonstrate ability in detecting group O infection but could miss it. Group N is extremely rare with only 2-3 cases found worldwide in Africa. HIV2 will be detected on a HIV1 EIA 42-92% of the time. I would trust the antibody test at 3 months and if you have doubts then take further testing to eliminate your doubts. Especially if you are thinking something is wrong. Take a viral load RNA by PCR or DNA by PCR however these tests also are designed with the subtype B virus the most predominant subtype found in America. 98% of all HIV infections are with subtype B in US however noted that hetrosexual transmission is thought to transmit other subtypes rather than subtype B. Hope this info helps, also try and take the HIV1/2 combo test they are 3 generation assays, you can get one at planned parenthood and most likely your local health department.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3067

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3