Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
une_fille

Reged: 03/28/02
so what is it?
      #34721 - 05/23/02 05:33 PM

i don't really expect an answer to my subject question. i just read in one of "notanonymous"'s posts that his symptoms included acid reflux. is acid reflux connected to hiv? i tested neg at 90 days after unprotected vaginal sex (i am a female, so i am SO at risk), but i have had persistent burning tongue (as well as several swollen glands) since exposure. i have nothing visible on my tongue to indicate thrush or an infection of the tongue itself and i have even had a barium swallow due to a lumpy feeling in my chest when i swallow. my ENT said i had nothing in my espopaghus and recommended i see a gastroenerolgist because it might be acid reflux. he also said that the burning tongue couldn't be due to any virus, bacteria or yeast on the tongue itself because there is no such thing as a chronic infection of the tongue...meaning an infection would either clear itself up within a short period of time (10 days) or it would get worse (all the doctors i've seen have refused to do a culture because they see no reason to). so now i am still scared it is hiv because i really don't think it's acid reflux because i don't have the heartburn or bitter taste in the mouth that is associated with acid reflux.
thank you for letting me vent. i am just a nervous reck like most of you here. i am tired of feeling like this, will it ever end?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried2002.
Unregistered

Re: so what is it? new
      #34727 - 05/23/02 07:24 PM

Acis reflux is not associated with HIV in any way, i had burning mouth too, i relaxed and it mostly resolved... i myself can't believe it but it is true...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34737 - 05/24/02 09:34 AM

i wouldn't be to concerned at all. it seems a lot of people on here that have tested neg. outside the window period have this burning mouth problem. must be stress related or something. i have it too but i also have a red sore throat with swollen tonsil, bad acid reflux and heartburn. so i am concerned about having candida/thrush in my throat and/or esophagus as some poz persons have had during ars. it is supposed to give a feeling of pain behind the breastbone similar to heartburn i guess with a sore throat. i have had heartburn and reflux for years and i know what you mean about the bitter tasted in your mouth....i have not had that either. it is scary what worried2002 said about it not really being visible. but, i really think you are just fine. even your doctors said so.

une_fille

Reged: 03/28/02
Re: To anonymous new
      #34738 - 05/24/02 11:00 AM

i was scared that it was candida as well, but nothing showed up in the barium swallow which is supposed to detect esophagal candida. all the doctors i've seen said if it was yeast that was causing the burning tongue, it would be visible. i've asked a couple of them to do a culture and they won't do it because they see no need to! have you gone to the doctor about your symptoms?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34743 - 05/24/02 12:01 PM

I tested negative 2yrs Past the window!!!!!!! I have the burning tongue too. I went to my doc's who said it "might"be thrush...gave me diflucan which did NOTHING! No he didnt do a culture. Went back to him cause it still bothered me, he said my tongue looked fine! He sent me to an ENT, he did all the lab work, said I had NO viruses and this may just be something I have for the rest of my life. He did say my tongue looked irritated though. I smoke and drink a lot of coffee, so that may be why my tongue looks irritated.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34744 - 05/24/02 12:18 PM

you can check out www.go4hope.com, its for people with burning mouth syndrome....MANY people have this!!! Also on a few "anxiety" boards people there said they get oral thrush and their doctors say some people have a tendency to get it there, these people do NOT have HIV, no other diseases and are on NO meds, not even birth control.

notanonymous
Regular

Reged: 04/19/02
Re: To anonymous new
      #34749 - 05/24/02 12:42 PM

hey une_fille, it was actually me, i just forgot to log in. no, i haven't been to the doctor for numerous reasons. one is fear. but, it really sounds like you are ok. i know deep down you know that, you just keep second guessing yourself.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2937

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3