Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Springer
Unregistered

1 in 250 chance of false negative
      #34492 - 05/19/02 09:59 AM

The following is from memory so please feel free to correct me if the following info is wrong

The tests that we are taking are 99.9% accurate, false positives accrue more often than false negatives I seem to remember from somewhere that when you spilt that o.01% false negatives are about 6% of hat 0.01% and false negatives account for the other 4% so the chances of a false negative are 1 in 250. Not very good odds.

False negatives happen for the following reasons

Test was taken inside window period

Atypical host response (very rare)

Undetectable subtype

When you consider the subtype debate it could take as long as 10 years for the medical community to realise that the CRAZY guy who kept retaking his HIV tests and ordering PCRs and WB’s and has been GOING ON about his symptoms for the last 10 years is now shivering next to a brazier in a hospital bed spitting out his last angry words at the iron sky.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: 1 in 250 chance of false negative new
      #34494 - 05/19/02 10:14 AM

I guess you've change your mind about believing all your doctors and all the different types of negative tests again. I guess having Dengue Fever doesn't count for anything. Maybe you should read the article 'How to tell if you are a worried well'

By the way, your math is way off. 99.9 % means 1/10th of 1 percent won't test positive. That means out of a thousand people - 1 percent would be 10 people, 1/10 of 1 percent would be 1 person out of a thousand. That 1 out of a thousand would mean that .04 out of that 1 tests false negative. Now add that most false negative are people that test before the window period, any other reason is infintestimal.

No where near 1 out of 250. That would be 4 percent out of 1000 and we already know it's 1/10 of 1 percent out of 1000. Big difference.

T.i.a.d.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34496 - 05/19/02 10:20 AM

"99.9 accuracy" is the PC way of saying 100%. If only 1/250 of positive people kept testing negative, we would have a major problem on our hands. Seeing as how there are over a million people with HIV in this country, that would mean that 4000 of them never tested postive on an antibody test. The likelihood of a false-negative overwhelmingly occurs because people truly don't know when their exposure was. The second reason would be a small window period.
These subtypes that aren't picked up by standard EIA tests occur less frequently than getting struck by lightning. Quit scaring people. Trust your test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34499 - 05/19/02 10:26 AM

what the f#ck happened to you springer? wasn't it dengue?

LateConverter
Unregistered

#34504 - 05/19/02 04:40 PM

I don't want to scare anyone, but:

"These subtypes that aren't picked up by standard EIA tests occur less frequently than getting struck by lightning"

jep, still some people really get struck by lightning and nobody can say who ;).

I think this subtype thing is still not the point, thus no one in this frum will never test positive for those rare subtypes. And currently, all the people here have been WW's !!!(except Jackie and Gregg, but they didn't were here before the positive test result and of course, me)

- Neg at 3.5 months, GPL for months, LateConverter.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34510 - 05/19/02 05:44 PM

GPL = General Public License, a software license under the GNU agreement used to distribute open source code.

I bet you mean PGL.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34513 - 05/19/02 07:15 PM

what does PGL stand for?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34520 - 05/19/02 08:38 PM

How many months after your exposure did you test positive?

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
How sad new
      #34527 - 05/19/02 09:47 PM

I think this subtype thing is still not the point, thus no one in this frum will never test positive for those rare subtypes. And currently, all the people here have been WW's !!!(except Jackie and Gregg, but they didn't were here before the positive test result and of course, me)

Sounds to me like you are just one more of the type of person you were talking about a worried well.

It's pretty sad when people go around stating they are a late converter or are positive without the proof of a positive test. You sound like another one of those sick individuals on the board with such a twisted mind that instead of being overjoyed at being negative, seem truly disappointed. Then you take it even further by misleading (lying) to people about your status in an effort to identify with people that are positive.

You have had a 3.5 month negative which conclusively shows you are not infected. Quit trying to become something you really don't want out of life. It's just plain demented.

T.i.a.d.

LateConverter
Unregistered

Re: How sad new
      #34550 - 05/20/02 11:39 AM

I forgot to put ;) instead of ), silly me :). Hope you are right, Jackie!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34551 - 05/20/02 11:43 AM

PGL = PERSISTENT GENERALIZED LYMPHADENOPATHY (swelling lymphnodes all over your body)

LateConverter
Unregistered

#34552 - 05/20/02 11:47 AM

Both, I hope. Hmmm, I tried to write PGL not GPL, aaaghhh, I'm losing my vision, what could this be!!!! ;)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6198

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3