Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Transmission via kissing and condoms
      #34428 - 05/16/02 11:30 PM

I recently met a wonderful and terric person whom I'd to get to know better. The only problem is this person is HIV+. We have gone out on a few dates and finaly kissed. I really like this person but I also want to take each and every precaution.

I'm a college student and just finished taking all of mine finals. During my late nights of studying and stressing over my exams I became a much heavier smoker than i ever was and the stress caused me to have an oral ulcer so my mouth isn't exactly 100%. With all this being said is kissing still considered safe? Is there any other form of protection available other than condoms?

thank you in advance for responding.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Transmission via kissing and condoms new
      #34429 - 05/17/02 12:06 AM

Kissing is still considered safe. The only time there may be a risk is if there is infected blood present, especially with a cut, bleeding gums or, in your case, oral ulcers. Please do yourself a favor and educate yourself before taking this relationship further. Don't do something first, then try to find out if it was safe, ya know what I mean? Which is kind of what you already did, luckily it was only kissing and not something that actually carries a risk.

Do what you think is smart.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34432 - 05/17/02 01:37 AM

I don't think HIV infected people should be treated like the plague. Yes, I kissed this person but it wasn't like he stuck his tongue down my throat. I don't see how people living with HIV should be treated any different than people living with cancer. I am thinking of starting a relationship with this person and I want to learn how to protect myself of possibly catching the virus myself. I know that by allowing this relationship to continue I am potentially putting myself at risk but I also know that there ARE ways of protecting myself which is why I posted my question in the first place. It took a lot of courage for this person to tell me of his status and it wasn't after we kissed that I found out it was before. There should not be a need for people to judge others by their status. What makes my situation different from someone going out on a first date and kissing their date good-night? How many of you on this board have dated people and kissed your date good-night? Sharing a bed is one thing but sharing a kiss is another. I am a little nervous and scared as to about the possibilty of becoming infected if the proper precaution is not taken but that is why I turned to this board for advice. I have read some of your posts and so many of you on here know more information than most doctors. (which is a little scary :-) )
Really all I'm asking is what are some (if any) of the risks inovled in kissing and what other methods other than condoms can be used if I decided to take this relationship to the next level.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34433 - 05/17/02 08:58 AM

go look in ask the pro's for the section for mixed status couples. there is a lot of info there

Xander
All Star

Reged: 10/01/01
      #34440 - 05/17/02 12:13 PM

Congratulations on your new relationship! You are right, of course, that there is no risk from kissing. There would also be no risk from hugging, touching, cuddling, or anything like that. For sexual relationships, though, I think always using condoms is the only really reliable method of protection. Since your partner has already brought up the topic of hiv, I bet he would be very happy to discuss condoms and protection with you too. Best of luck to both of you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34454 - 05/17/02 05:18 PM

No kissing can transmit a rare subtype that hides under the tonge.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34456 - 05/17/02 06:13 PM

I think you are expressing your own inner conflict about HIV. I never said anything about the plague. I was simply saying that you should be smart and fully educate yourself, with your partner's help, about what is safe, defining risk limits and where you want the relationship to go. I am not saying that people with HIV should be avoided AT ALL. I am simply saying that you are dealing with an incurable infectious disease that needs to be respected for what it is.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3128

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3