Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
AnxietyMan
Unregistered

Orasure test @ 6 weeks
      #34253 - 05/13/02 01:05 PM

Hi all- this is a great site.

I had unprotected vaginal sex with an ex-girlfriend. Few weeks later I experienced some muscle pain and fatigue, but no fevers, rashes, or lymph nodes. I must say however, that I was REALLY anxious about what happened (not just for risk of disease) and wasn't sleeping much. I also started a new job that had a lot of hours. So I can't say that this was an ARS type picture. I went to see my doctor and all the CBC was normal, no lymphopenia or low platelets.

I had my ex-gf tested and she tested negative. She says she wasn't with anyone for 3 months, but who knows. She's definitely not an IV drug user. She's definitely not worried about it and she even called her ex-boyfriend to discuss it. So she's been really supportive through this neurotic period.

I had an Orasure test at 6 weeks as per CDC guidelines. It was negative. I am going to go for one at 12 weeks to finalize this.

My question is what you knowledgable people think about this situation. I know that there is still a slight risk, but I'm not sure if I can quantify it. Or do I really just need to see a counselor?

I'm a bit nervous since I've had some residual joint pain for the last 9 weeks since exposure. I'm not sure if this is consistant with the ARS. Everytime I get a joint pain or muscle pain or I feel tired one day I feel as if I am infected. This has really disturbed my life for the past 9 weeks.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how good Orasure is at detecting recently seroconverted people. I've read a lot about HIV & HIV testing and have realized that ever at 6 weeks, a lot f people show antibodies that can be detected with 3rd generation ELISA's.

Well thanks for all your time. I've been inspired by all of your stories and wisdom. I hope one day I can do something to help those in need in the HIV community. And I pray for a cure or newer tolerable medicines to extend living.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cooter
Unregistered

Re: Orasure test @ 6 weeks new
      #34254 - 05/13/02 01:33 PM

Its a good sign although the 3 month test will give you complete closure. Is there any reason why you think your ex-girlfriend would be HIV+?

worried2002.
Unregistered

#34258 - 05/13/02 02:00 PM

She's neg. You already tested neg at 6 weeks, there aren't much (any?) chances that your results will change, get tested at 3 months, believe your neg results and practice safer sex from now on, stay well, and remain negative. Hugs

AnxietyMan
Unregistered

#34259 - 05/13/02 02:05 PM

Thanks for all your wonderful replies...

Only reason to think so is that she had a relationship with a man that many years older than her (he's 42 and she's 24). I guess because I distrust that relationship that I distrust her. She is definitely not promiscuous, however I find a 42 year old dating a 24 years to be a bit sketchy.

Many people have told me that I am projecting my distrust and or anger at her relationship and manifesting it as fear of HIV. That's a bit deep for me, but I see it as completely possible.

Forgot to mention that I am planning on going into a career of HIV research. This experience has taught me a lot and I've read a boatload on HIV.

Another question I have is that is anxiety powerful enough to cause people have have vague medical complaints (muscle pains, joint pains) I guess it is??!!

worried2002.
Unregistered

#34264 - 05/13/02 02:52 PM

Anxiety can cause major symptoms!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1455

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3