Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Johnny
Unregistered

Floaters
      #34205 - 05/12/02 06:45 AM

Hi,

I had a medium-risk sexual encounter in October of last year and since then have had a compendium of symptoms which have left me very anxious (the mucous membrane at the back of my throat has turned white, I see moving `worms´ just before I wake up which don´t go immediately on opening my eyes, I have had many pin-prick flat blood blister type spots over my body, an intense cold feeling in my spine, I have had black -yes BLACK spots in my mouth which disappear after a couple of days and slightly swollen glands behind my right ear, etc...)but the symptom which most worries me is the floaters: gradually over the course of the last 7 months both eyes have filled with floaters (and I mean filled). In my left eye I have several which look like black spots as the floaters seem coiled together. I add that I have had 5 ELISA tests and all 5 (the last being 6 months and 1 week after exposure) have been negative. I have seen 3 different doctors and an opthalmologist and all say that there is nothing to worry about. I have got to the stage where I doubt I am HIV+ due to so many -ve results, but my questions are:
1). Is a negative ELISA test at 6 months definitive? (I live in Spain and they told me at 3 months that my negative result was definitive, but this contrasts to what I have read).
2). Can worry and anxiety induce the formation of floaters??? If not, could this be some other viral infection??

I really am most concerned about this. Every time I look at a white or light grey background I see hundreds of floaters which makes it very difficult to move ahead and forget what have turned out to be, quite easily, the worst six months of my life. Worry has become ineludible because I see some floaters always, and I never had so many before. I try to be rational, but I know I am not imagining seeing the floaters. They are actually there. I would be deeply grateful if anybody could offer me advice.
Thank you and best wishes to all
John
jaf36@wanadoo.es

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Floaters new
      #34206 - 05/12/02 07:52 AM

Congrats on not have HIV. Your 6 month test was 3 months over the recommended time, so yes, it is more than conclusive that you are negative.

Floaters have nothing to do with HIV. I'm surprised your eye doctor didn't explain this to you when you saw him/her about these. They are something quite a few people have to deal with. It has something to do with protein in the retina, which 'floats' around your field of vision. It is not a symptom of HIV, but you already know that because you have already tested negative.

http://www.hopkins-ssjs.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&category_id=82&id=40182

T.i.a.d.

worried2002.
Unregistered

#34210 - 05/12/02 08:29 AM

3 months and 6 months tests are believed to be conclusive. Floaters are not directly caused by HIV but rather by Cytomegalovirus infecting the retina. In immunocompromised individuals CMV infection can be very hard. As you always ruled out HIV infection i advise you to consult an eye doctor (oculist? ophtalmologist? i'm not a native english speaker) who can look at your retina. Hope this helps

worried2002.
Unregistered

#34211 - 05/12/02 08:31 AM

always... i meant already, not always

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1481

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3