Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Boobalicious
Unregistered

TerryD perspective
      #34054 - 05/09/02 05:15 PM

I notice TerryD is the non-conformist here. Just about everyone else seems to be a worried well. Ever ask yourself why the fear of HIV is so powerful? I mean you don't see people posting month after month on the "Do I have Cancer?" forum, or the "Will I get a Heart Attack?" forum. HIV "awareness" is making some of you people nuts. However, I do believe that HIV is real and causes AIDS, so awareness and testing are good things. Just don't get carried away - believe your results outside the window period. Otherwise you will lose your mind.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TerryD perspective new
      #34062 - 05/09/02 08:13 PM

wait wait just one moment. you say Terry is a non conformist? that is anything but the truth. He is following the psuedo beliefs from AIDSMYTH.com and other cultlike groups. Its fine to believe what he wants but noone here buys it or agrees with it. He attacks us because he thinks were stupid for fearing HIV. Well take a look at whats going on in Africa and anyone can see why. Hes being irrational and illogical to think that HIV is a harmless virus in my own opinion. As far as Cancer goes, the reason some worry so much about hiv and testing is because the varying opnions on stuff like the window period and subtype detection. Now i read where a couple researchers are speculating that HIV could possibly lay dorment in lymph tissue. And you ask why we worry so much? In addition with HIV comes along a stigma. If you have cancer, noone will be afraid to touch you or hug you or think that you did something "dirty" to contract it. This also adds to the fear. Noone wants to be treated like a social lepard. Although i do agree that we do all need to make a strong effort to believe our tests after the window period despite how hard this can be when one is expierencing a variety of symptoms.

Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
      #34063 - 05/09/02 08:51 PM

The speculation that HIV lays dorment in the lymph tissue is not new. It's not even speculation. It's my understanding that is why a person can be undetectable for years on medication and still not be able to rid the body of the virus. Medication does not kill the virus, but works by interrupting the reproduction of the virus at different stages. Thus limiting the amount of new virus that is produced. The virus found in lymph tissue is not actively reproducing so the medicine has no effect on it.

T.i.a.d.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Jackie new
      #34065 - 05/09/02 09:31 PM

Jackie, if the virus is like dormant in the lymph nodes like hwat you said, causing 'undetectability', did you mean of an infected person's viral load? Will this 'hiding of the virus in lymph nodes' cause antibody tests not to detect HIV infection? Is this a cause to be worried about for us worried wells?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34070 - 05/09/02 11:27 PM

So does this mean all of us that don't show positive by 3 months but have symptoms could have the virus still hiding in the lymp nodes.Now what..help

Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
      #34071 - 05/09/02 11:31 PM

It's not an issue at all for the worried well's.

It's an issue for people that are infected. It's the reason we can have an undetectable VL, but still be infected. The virus doesn't hide. It's just that the meds don't work on resting virus.

T.i.a.d.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#34102 - 05/10/02 02:28 PM

Thats not true JackieBlue and you know it!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1326

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3