Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Red Cross PCR highly effective
      #33894 - 05/07/02 01:39 PM

The person who previously wrote about Red Cross PCR testing was completely wrong. It is highly effective. Furthermore they don't pool hundreds of a samples at once but rather maybe 10-15 samples. If there is a positive result then the samples are individually tested to find the positive sample. If it wasn't effective they wouldn't use it. 3rd Generation ELISA, NAT, and p24 is a solid 3-headed testing model that will pick-up HIV. The odds of being infected with HIV from a blood transfusion is miniscule due in large part to these testing mechanisms.

Keep in mind I am not encouraging people to donate blood as a way to test for HIV. If you go to donate blood answer the pre-screening questions truthfully. It will determine your eligibility. If you qualify please donate because it is a wonderful, selfless act. Furthermore the testing mechanisims they have in place for HIV (as well as other diseases) are top notch.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Red Cross PCR highly effective new
      #33912 - 05/07/02 07:55 PM

Where did you get your information from? Did you call the Red Cross? Are you just assuming that they will test idividual blood if a NAT tests finds HIV? Wouldent this be tedious on their part? please tell me how you confirmed that they do this. Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33916 - 05/07/02 08:36 PM

It's on their website and it's also confirmed by experts in the field including The Body's own well-respected Dr. Holodniy (in my opionion the most knowledgeable and no nonsense Doctor on this website). Bottomline Blood Banks do not mess around when it comes to HIV testing. They will do whatever it takes to find HIV. Simply look at the statistics 1:625,000 units is infected if that?

More importantly why are you spouting off statements when you have no evidence to support your claim that Red Cross NAT testing isn't beneficial? Are you trying to start a panic?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33919 - 05/07/02 10:02 PM

Im not the one who posted that about NAt testing and blood banks. I know that they use NAt testing but how do you know that whe they find HIV in pools of blood, that they will then test individual blood to find the HIV infected person?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33959 - 05/08/02 11:51 AM

See my previous post. Why don't you check out their website? The information is right there. Besides what the hell do you think they do with infected pools? That's the point of NAT/PCR testing - to find HIV before antibody production. After the window period NAT/PCR is obviously not as effective as ELISA testing.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1642

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3